Gen 3 Tow Hooks

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I spent alot of time looking through the archives trying to come up with the proper terminology to find the posts on gen 3 tow hooks. I struck out big time....

Would someone be nice enough to tell me what type of tow hooks should/need to be used to hold a car down on a trailer? I'm getting things ready for the trek west for VOI 9. I know its early, but I want to have everything ready to go now.

thanks

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use R hooks for the front and no hooks in the back (just the standard hook on the strap).

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake-Oyl Products now has front and rear SRT-10 versions that are bolt on. DC Performance installed them on my Viper and they work great. Ordering through JonB was even less expensive!

Larry

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have the bolt-on Snake-Oyl tow hooks I use for track days. These are not for securing a car to a trailer but only for horizontal towing of a car without much load, say if you run off-track and needed a tow back to the pits. The front is just clamped on the tubular radiator support and the rear has only one medium frame bolt and the bottom pan screw holding it in place. Adequate for their purpose but not for tie-downs. Downward pressure on the front would twist it into the front facia. Many suggest you use R-hooks into the four specific frame tie-down holes. Run a forum search for "R-Hooks" and you'll get a lot of good information

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need 4 of the "R" hooks and 4 heavey duty ratchet straps. Don't skimp on the straps, buy the best you can afford. What is your car worth to you?
Criss-cross your straps to the trailer D-rings, tight in front, tighter in the rear. What does your trailer weigh? Your car? Your tow vehicle? Tow safe - know how much weight your tow vehicle must stop.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, look for "R" hooks in the archives. AW Direct is the source I used, if memory serves. R hooks attach to the holes in the front and rear of your frame and are specifically for holding the car in place on the trailer while the trailer is being towed. I got mine with large chain loops attached to them for easier hook up. I've seen them both with and without loops.

Tow hooks are as stated above, used to tow your car back onto the track when you go off.

Dan

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, look for "R" hooks in the archives. AW Direct is the source I used, if memory serves. R hooks attach to the holes in the front and rear of your frame and are specifically for holding the car in place on the trailer while the trailer is being towed. I got mine with large chain loops attached to them for easier hook up. I've seen them both with and without loops.

Tow hooks are as stated above, used to tow your car back onto the track when you go off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine