Gen-4 ACR wing in a Gen-2 GTS

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see why not but i'm not sure what kind of affect it would have on the way the car drives. The GEN IV ACR wing is contoured to the GEN IV body. Still might look cool though...

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR suspension is set up to handle the down force created by the wing. Make sure your suspension can handle this or you will flatten it like a pancake.

OP
OP
T

tonyAJM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting the car back with a stroker, penske’s and lots more HP for the track. I think more down force would be good for the car on the track but I wanted it to be tasteful and functional combining the wing with the front splitter. I was also thinking about the GT2 wing that was on the GTS-R. I understand that putting a wing on the gen-2 can look stupid but with some down force can improve the cars performance; I think it can be done tastefully with the right wing. I would really like to know what some of you think and what you might recommend. Thanks

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a friend who I track my car with who drives a C6 Corvette. He added a rear wing and a splitter. He uses a Traqmate so he can quantify the difference and where he was able to carry more speed through corners. Is there anyone here who has done something similiar on a Gen 2? Tell us what you used and what else you did to the car. What did you gain in downforce and what did you lose on the top end? Thanks

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Autoform LeMans wing and Front facia/splitter is a choice I'd consider. Not sure how track tested it is, but I don't believe it requires suspension changes. However don't take my word for it.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say go with the GTS-R wing. :)
Getting the car back with a stroker, penske’s and lots more HP for the track. I think more down force would be good for the car on the track but I wanted it to be tasteful and functional combining the wing with the front splitter. I was also thinking about the GT2 wing that was on the GTS-R. I understand that putting a wing on the gen-2 can look stupid but with some down force can improve the cars performance; I think it can be done tastefully with the right wing. I would really like to know what some of you think and what you might recommend. Thanks

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 ACR downforce was measured at 1200 lbs. That means in addition to the 3600 lbs of car weight, the load on the suspension is 4800 lbs, and most of the addition is on the rear. At that conditions you will want the suspension to still be above the bump stops. Remember the original ACR had very stiff rear springs that everyone complained about - probably to keep the rear end from dragging on the ground at speed.

OEM GTS rear springs are 450 lbs, wingless track cars seem to go up to 800 lbs, so something with a wing seems like it should at least start there if the wing is really going to help.

OP
OP
T

tonyAJM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, great information. Like Korina mentioned, anyone with any experance with this at the track, please post.

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The question is what really works? How do you know it works? Where did you get it? What other changes did you have to make? Any personal or first hand experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call JonB at Partsrack. I remember him advertising a Red racing GTS for sale a while back with a Comp Coupe wing on it.
He may know what was done to the suspension to make it work.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out AEROMOTIONS.

I've been dying to get one of their adaptive wings on my 06 coupe. The winner of the Cannonball One Lap of America this year had their wing on a GTR. While they haven't yet fit one to a Viper they want to and they are MIT guys so they're smart.

You shouldn't lose any straight away speed since the wing flattens out on the straights. Braking is vastly improved because the wing goes full up acting like an air brake and keeping the rear planted. In turns the wing goes to a preset but adjustable angle. Check out the split wing if you have the bread. Depending on whether you are turning right or left the two halves of the wing act independently putting down force on the appropriate side of the car. Cool!

Some sanctioning bodies though don't allow adaptive aero so check that out first.

Last edited:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a GTS-R wing available for the GTS - it's about as large as a picnic bench and very functional. It will not allow you to open your rear hatch.

the GT2 wing is smaller and creates much less downforce. the latest ACR wing is a nice piece and probably midway between the 2. Depending on how you mount it would determine if you could open the hatch. Constructing supports for the wing will be tricky - as it just can't mount to the deck.

And - as always - if you add downforce in the rear, you need to balance it with a decent splitter.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say wing it! :)

This is an Autoform Lemans Wing:

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0272.JPG

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will a Gen-4 ACR wing fit on a Gen-2 GTS?

Short, correct answer: NO

Longer: It can certainly be adapted to fit.

Other issues: The Gen2GTS suspension is NOT-NOT set up to handle the kinds of downforce created by this very-functional aerodynamic SYSTEM. This wing is one component of a SYSTEM and your life may be at stake if you just keep shopping for a "YES" answer to a complicated issue of aero........

There are 3-4 wings that ARE designed for the GTS....MB has shown you one of them....

sekhmet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is likely a dumb question, but where do you buy these wings from?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.... And the answer is - from the vendor that knows about them and that answered in the post above yours. Phone number and website is shown.