Gen 4 prices going to drop like led bricks in 5 days

Kaneda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I am hearing from my inside source at Dodge, this new Viper is going to blow away everyone's expectations. Finally a car fully thought out. That being said, if I had a Gen 4, I would sell it fast. The hit to them is going to be real real bad. I'm sure many of you can afford to upgrade, but man, anyone who bought an msrp viper is going to take a huge hit. I still can't get over dealers tryin to get 100+ grand for 2010 acr vipers. Prepare to see those cars going for like 85 by end of summer.

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have thought the opposite. If a Gen V costs $130-140K, that might preserve the values of Gen IVs and IIIs.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I imagine the LED bricks are very light.........get it.......light..........hehehehe...... I heard the new Gen V is going to look like a big S2000.....wait that was 2002 rumor.......

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the Gen 5 does to the used Viper market, lots of speculation.

[subliminally speaking] "give your Gen 4 ACR to ssjcreeper now!"

Sounds like your trying to talk someone into selling their car. lol

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I am hearing from my inside source at Dodge, this new Viper is going to blow away everyone's expectations. Finally a car fully thought out. That being said, if I had a Gen 4, I would sell it fast. The hit to them is going to be real real bad. I'm sure many of you can afford to upgrade, but man, anyone who bought an msrp viper is going to take a huge hit. I still can't get over dealers tryin to get 100+ grand for 2010 acr vipers. Prepare to see those cars going for like 85 by end of summer.
Ya and the gas prices are dropping to a couple of bucks. Lets see what the car is before we make these predictions. Not a whole lotta people out there to drop 100k in a car right now. And this car will probably be 120ish, which is ridiculous to say the least....

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are so right, please take my gen 4 off my hands now for 45,369! Pretty please:rolleyes:

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the upgrades are that good then I can't see them holding the price steady.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see this going three ways.

If the Gen V is a major home run, wins car of the year, beats all the competition, gets props from the world press and is the most desirable new model out there, then I think it will help drive the price up on all Vipers....or at least keep them from dropping off the face of the earth. Everyone wants to be associated with a winner, even if it's not a Gen V, it's still a Viper which might just be the hottest name in high performance for the next 12 months.

If the Gen V is a total bomb and is a failure, the Gen 4's might actually benefit from this and keep or at least not fall in value as fast. The purists will look at getting the last of the raw 600 hp beasts and saving a ton of dough over buying a new Gen V.

If the Gen V is just so, so,....nothing to write home about but not a bad car, just not an iconic beast, then I think Gen 4's will continue to lose value at the current rate.

I'm hoping the Gen V is a GRAND SLAM home run, regardless of what it does to my cars value.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
K

Kaneda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This makes no sense what-so-ever. When a new Shelby has 650bhp, it's not a win for all Shelby's. It means NOBODY wants the old model because major improvements have occurred. Why would Dodge release a so-so new Viper? This thing is going to be a much better overall car. 99% of people do not want a raw car with no traction control and that much power. That is the main reason why Vipers lose so much value. People buy them, get scared in them, then trade them. It's why you see so many 3 owner cars with less than 10,000 miles. This new car will be THE ONLY viper that won't scare the **** out of its driver. It will be a keeper.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean while I have been enjoying my 2008 Viper for the last four years I have been losing money ? Knowing this why would anyone want to buy a Gen V ? Now that you mention it I think I have lost money on every new car I've ever bought.
I hope my wife doesn't find out. :smirk:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not overly concerned about "appraised value" of my car anyway. I didn't get it as an investment. I got it because I wanted something totally insane to drive. I'm having FUN! There isn't a price on that. (the Viper experience). ---not that anyone of us wouldn't want are cars to retain their value, but I don't think alot of us are freaking out over it. We love our Vipers for what they are (or aren't) If a new gen comes out, and is all-that, ok then, I still like the one I have. ---as a Viper owner, the best one,... is the one in your own garage. I don't think I'm alone with this idea.:rolleyes:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the more complicated a vehicle is, the more expensive it is likely to be to repair it when its warranty expires. I think that the pre Gen V Vipers will do just fine going forward. Those who buy used Vipers are, for the most part, and will continue to be, a different type of customer than those who will be buying a new Gen V. The Gen V is positioned to attract a much wider customer base than the traditional Viper owner. It will also appeal to monied owners of foreign sports cars and exotics. SRT needs to make money on the car - especially now that SRT is a separate brand. The SRT Viper is not the Dodge brand halo car anymore. The reality of the Viper has changed. I think that SRT has made the best of mandatory nanny tech requirements while at the same time preserving, albeit in a more refined and upgraded form, enough of the essence of the Viper so that it will still appeal to many of the faithful. Some ********* Viper owners who cherish the rawness and required self reliance of the pre Gen V models will not buy it but that was always going to be the case anyway. In the meantime, for some of us who have made the effort to extensively modify our Vipers so that, for us, they are perfect, the term "Generation" does not have as much meaning. My car may have started out as a Gen III Coupe but it has evolved in a balanced and well thought out way over time into a vehicle with reliable performance characteristics far beyond where it started. With that said, I look forward to assessing the aesthetics, ergonomics, and performance capabilities of the Gen V and I wish the SRT team the greatest success.

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:drive:Exactly, this thread is stupid, if your worried about an investment and not the ride then why would you buy a car.There are better ways to make a buck but the feeling of excitment is absolutly priceless.:drive::drive::drive:

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the more complicated a vehicle is, the more expensive it is likely to be to repair it when its warranty expires. I think that the pre Gen V Vipers will do just fine going forward. Those who buy used Vipers are, for the most part, and will continue to be, a different type of customer than those who will be buying a new Gen V. The Gen V is positioned to attract a much wider customer base than the traditional Viper owner. It will also appeal to monied owners of foreign sports cars and exotics. SRT needs to make money on the car - especially now that SRT is a separate brand. The SRT Viper is not the Dodge brand halo car anymore. The reality of the Viper has changed. I think that SRT has made the best of mandatory nanny tech requirements while at the same time preserving, albeit in a more refined and upgraded form, enough of the essence of the Viper so that it will still appeal to many of the faithful. Some ********* Viper owners who cherish the rawness and required self reliance of the pre Gen V models will not buy it but that was always going to be the case anyway. In the meantime, for some of us who have made the effort to extensively modify our Vipers so that, for us, they are perfect, the term "Generation" does not have as much meaning. My car may have started out as a Gen III Coupe but it has evolved in a balanced and well thought out way over time into a vehicle with reliable performance characteristics far beyond where it started. With that said, I look forward to assessing the aesthetics, ergonomics, and performance capabilities of the Gen V and I wish the SRT team the greatest success.

Bob, well said, always enjoy your commentary.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vettes mercedes and many others depreciate much more than vipers.

Ten years later my 03 is still worth half its value. Many sports cars ten years later are more around 30% than the vipers 50%.

So whats the problem? You want a 95k gen4 to still be worth 75k four years later.? Be realistic. It dosent happen like that

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
This makes no sense what-so-ever. When a new Shelby has 650bhp, it's not a win for all Shelby's. It means NOBODY wants the old model because major improvements have occurred. Why would Dodge release a so-so new Viper? This thing is going to be a much better overall car. 99% of people do not want a raw car with no traction control and that much power. That is the main reason why Vipers lose so much value. People buy them, get scared in them, then trade them. It's why you see so many 3 owner cars with less than 10,000 miles. This new car will be THE ONLY viper that won't scare the **** out of its driver. It will be a keeper.

Wow, your right....I never thought of that. My car IS scary. Real scary. I'm gonna trade it for a Gen 2...Dang it where's Bernie's number, I know I left it around here somewhere?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It never fails, If you've been here long enough you've already seen some non owner guys with 5 posts come on, mention a secret connection and then warn how bad the last Generation is going to go down in price. Saw it when the GTS first came along (RT10's were going to be basically worthless!) saw it when Gen 3 came along (GTS's were going to go for 10 cents on the dollar), and when Gen 4 came along. heck, a couple crazies back in the day said the non ABS Gen 2 cars would be worthless.

None of that came true, RT10s might sell for a tiny bit less than GTS's, probably the coupe track factor, GTS's have a strong following and and good low miles cars are pushing 50K and they were 70k something MSRP cars.

ALL Vipers are very limited production and as every generation came along the price went up. The cars were better and they cost a little more. That process stabilizes pricing on the older models.

As great as this new car will be there is always the possibility that there will be a short period where the guys who have to be first on the block will bail for stupid money and there will be deals to be had. However I bet this thing is going to sell out so quick that most of the cars will go to guys already on a list so that bailout factor may have already happened.
The other factor is that for the first time there will be a ton of conversion buyers, the Porsche, and Aston Martin and Lambo guys are going to want in for sure. maybe the used Ferrari guys as well. Those buyers will not be dumping Vipers.

Short term a little drop maybe, but nothing long term catastrophic. If you've kept your Viper in nice shape it will always have value. One man's opinion anyway.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are so right, please take my gen 4 off my hands now for 45,369! Pretty please:rolleyes:

:rolaugh: A good sarcasm is difficult to come by in the web but you did a good job with this one. And I think it's also a good case in point. Current gen4 owners are unlikely to go out there desperate for selling their amazing machines just because there is a new viper out. Even if some gen4 owners love the gen5 it won't be like they don't have a really cool toy in their garage, except for people that can afford to help eliminate hunger in small countries most owners are more likely to wait till the new one depreciates a little and then trade up. I seriously doubt the effect the release of the new gen will have on pricing of previous generation will be immediate, even if it's a home run (and I hope it'll be). Not saying there will be no change in price, there will probably be a change but I don't think it will be dramatic nor abrupt. I don't think the release will help prices up either, after all cars are generally depreciating assets and the economic system would have to move as a whole for us to see a price increase.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This troll has been all over the place with his 'insights" into car values.
Just a jealous little loser who on his best day can't afford a Viper.

Do not feed....

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real ballers buy the new one without having to sell the old one first.

Also, fuel prices shouldn't even be a consideration for those shopping for Vipers. If the price of fuel affects your lifestyle, it is simply too much car for you.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to go to my first lapping day of the season today. I hope I don't see anything there thats 'better or more expensive' than my genIII Viper, cuz it might lose some value if that happens........oh no....:omg:

hemibates

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It never fails, If you've been here long enough you've already seen some non owner guys with 5 posts come on, mention a secret connection and then warn how bad the last Generation is going to go down in price. Saw it when the GTS first came along (RT10's were going to be basically worthless!) saw it when Gen 3 came along (GTS's were going to go for 10 cents on the dollar), and when Gen 4 came along. heck, a couple crazies back in the day said the non ABS Gen 2 cars would be worthless.

None of that came true, RT10s might sell for a tiny bit less than GTS's, probably the coupe track factor, GTS's have a strong following and and good low miles cars are pushing 50K and they were 70k something MSRP cars.

ALL Vipers are very limited production and as every generation came along the price went up. The cars were better and they cost a little more. That process stabilizes pricing on the older models.

As great as this new car will be there is always the possibility that there will be a short period where the guys who have to be first on the block will bail for stupid money and there will be deals to be had. However I bet this thing is going to sell out so quick that most of the cars will go to guys already on a list so that bailout factor may have already happened.
The other factor is that for the first time there will be a ton of conversion buyers, the Porsche, and Aston Martin and Lambo guys are going to want in for sure. maybe the used Ferrari guys as well. Those buyers will not be dumping Vipers.

Short term a little drop maybe, but nothing long term catastrophic. If you've kept your Viper in nice shape it will always have value. One man's opinion anyway.

My thought exactly. There are always going to be more people out there wanting a viper than can buy one. They'll always be a low number car so supply will be under demand and values will not "fall like a brick"

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99% of people do not want a raw car with no traction control and that much power. That is the main reason why Vipers lose so much value. People buy them, get scared in them, then trade them. It's why you see so many 3 owner cars with less than 10,000 miles. This new car will be THE ONLY viper that won't scare the **** out of its driver. It will be a keeper.

I agree with just about everything everyone else has said but this I felt compelled to touch base on. I LOVE the fact that my cars do NOT have traction control. Dodge designed these cars to be raw, in your face, the ultimate drivers experience. I remember a quote from an interview with "The Grailkeeper." "The Viper was built with three things in mind. Go like Hell. Stop like hell and corner like hell. If you wanted anything else the Viper was not the car for you." I love that my cars scare the crap out of me. It's why I like them and I have a feeling that SRT would want this new car to scare the crap out of it's drivers as well. It's just gonna do it in a slightly different way.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This troll has been all over the place with his 'insights" into car values.
Just a jealous little loser who on his best day can't afford a Viper.

Do not feed....

What Jon said.

Check out what this guy said about the Gen 4 in the other thread. Talking out his a**.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang