Gen I Cruise Control

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all.. I've secured a sport bar pad.. and am getting close on a top ---- now, my car is almost perfect. The only think I'd love to have is Cruise control. I've noticed ParsRack advertises one. Is anyone using this unit? Did you install it yourself? Are there any other vendors doing an easy-to-install cruise for our cars? Mine is a 95 rt/10.

thanks
jp

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Snake Oyl makes one. It may be the one that Parts Rack sells, not sure. Call them, and they will set up the harness appropriate for your year.

Paul

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've installed the Snake Oyl cruise control (I believe its the same one that Parts Rack sells) on my Gen II. Works great; works as well or better than the normal stock-installed cruise control units you'd find on any production car.

Only problem I ever had with it was a badly soldered connection on the battery holder in the steering-wheel mounted unit (unit would only work intermittantly, until I found the problem and re-soldered the badly done original cold solder joints).

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the cruise control tie into the ECU or the throttle?
Yes. :cool:

The unit splices into six wires on the main wiring harness right before it goes through the firewall, and has a linkage that connects to the throttle cable linkage. I'm not sure how it handles the dual-throttle-cable of the Gen I (do they offer a version for the Gen I??), perhaps they have a version with two cables coming out that connect to each of the dual Gen I throttle cables?

You will need to spend some amount of time matching the wires based on which position on the main connector, because, as I recall, there were a couple of instances where the same wire color code is used more than once in that harness, so you have to identify which one is which based on the position on the firewall connector.

Otherwise, not a real hard job. Budget an afternoon, get a comfortable seat (or sit on the ground) next to the wiring harness, and be ready to be on your head in the driver's side footwell in order to place the receiver (stick to the left side wall of the foot box). Definitely solder all wiring splices.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have an old fashion hard wired contol unit, Macedo put it on about 2 yeas ago, works great and looks stock, mounted behind the turn signals.