Gen I engine has shipped from Arrow...Yaahoooo! Report included

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my engine shipped from Arrow Wedesday, WAAAHOOO!

I talked to Arrow today. For those inclined to read, here is what they told me..

1. One cylinder shifted DOWN.
2. BOTH head gaskets leaking.
3. Cam bearings wear a bit high. Re-bored and installed oversized bearings (unusual I was told).
4. Rear main seal leaking.
5. Coolant crossover leaking.
6. Several undertorqued head bolts.

Otherwise my engine was in great shape!!
pissed.gif

Any ideas as to how an engine with 9k miles can end up like this?

Will post the whole report when I get it.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by RonC on 04-01-2002 at 01:35 PM</font>

GATOR SERPENT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is in there now. Did they email or call to tell you that it shipped or did you have to follow up with them. I emailed and asked for a full report and they have not responded. Do they send one automatically or how did you get them to get it to you? Thanks and congrats on getting it out. How Long?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey RonC,
What year is your car? it look like a 94 and with 426rwhp, that can't be stock. What did you do to it?

Mike

OP
OP
R

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Report for my engine...

Upon receipt of the engine, we found some things wrong: the engine cylinder head bolts had insufficient torque. Camshaft bores were over the limit and a .030 over camshaft was fitted.

The block was sent back to the original manufacture for the counter bores, redecking and a .030 over cam bore was done.

The engine then is reassembled with these new parts, a crankshaft, camshaft/lifters, main/rod bearings, front cover/oil pump, water pump, piston/rods, cylinder liners, rings, timing chain set, thermostat, spark plugs/wires <FONT COLOR="Red">Heck, my plugs were brand new as well as new high temp wires! Hope I can get them back...)</FONT c> and with all the gaskets and seals the rebuild is complete.

The new engine is then sent to our dyno shop for a two hour break in period with three W.O.T. power runs to conferm the engine meets rated horsepower and torque number. A cylinder leak down and compression test is performed and a special oberg oil filter is inspected and a final check for any external oil leak the engine is ready for return shipment.

Oh well.....soon to be over with.

Considering the problems found, glad I did not go with the gasket only option (which I really, really considered and was going to do.)

Answers to above questions...

Cost: I purchased a warranty contract with the car. I never buy these things since I believe they are hardly ever used. The viper seemed different so I bit. Look like a genius now.

Report: Gator, email me.

HP stuff: Sorry, that is at the crank. I have not seen what a RWHP stock gen I should be. Everything I see is for genII or with mods. Maybe 350.

Ron

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is pretty scary...Is the main cause of all the leaks the improper torque on teh heads...???

My warranty runs out end of this year...Now I am petrified about what might happen...

Tomer
96 RT/10
7200 miles

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonC:
Report for my engine...

Upon receipt of the engine, we found some things wrong:

The engine then is reassembled with these new parts, a crankshaft, camshaft/lifters, main/rod bearings, front cover/oil pump, water pump, piston/rods, cylinder liners, rings, timing chain set, thermostat, spark plugs/wires <FONT COLOR="Red">Heck, my plugs were brand new as well as new high temp wires! Hope I can get them back...)</FONT c> and with all the gaskets and seals the rebuild is complete.

The new engine is then sent to our dyno shop for a two hour break in period with three W.O.T. power runs to conferm the engine meets rated horsepower and torque number. A cylinder leak down and compression test is performed and a special oberg oil filter is inspected and a final check for any external oil leak the engine is ready for return shipment.

This is word for word the description I got, I wonder if it's a form letter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the top of your post you state:

3. Cam bearings wear a bit high. Re-bored and installed oversized bearings (unusual I was told).

There are no cam bearings in the Viper engine. Does this mean they added cam bearings? If so...boy are you lucky! Probably making noticeably more horsepower now.

If you can confirm for sure, let me know.
BTW- Great report!
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

Phil Lee 94 red RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was shipped to Arrow on Monday for out-of-warr. rebuild. I got sand in the motor (please don't ask how)dumbest thing I,ve done in a long time. Anyway since this is not a warr. job, I should get the dyno numbers and all the info.I'll post the out come.