Gen I Gen II Heads question

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the difference between Gen I and Gen II Heads? I have some NOS Heads listed on Ebay but I am not sure what the difference is. I would like to be able to list them correctly.
Thanks in advance.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the differences, but Gen1 and Gen2 are not interchangeable. I'd love it if they were. We Gen1 guys have to pay $750 for head gaskets. :mad:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure but when I bought a set of stock header gaskets for my Gen 2 I got a set of V10 exhaust manifold gaskets that had puny exhuast ports and some of the stud holes were in the wrong spots. I assumed they were for a Gen 1.

Ted

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to put a Gen 2 intake on a gen 1 motor and also swapped the exhaust headers between the two, so can tell you that are two bolts different gen 1 vs gen2 where the heads are bolted to the intake. Not a big deal but required some drilling on the intake to make the gen 2 intake work on the gen 1 head. Other than that the gen 2 and gen 1 intakes were interchangeable.

The head gaskets were also obviously diffferent where the water jackets are concerned but the exhaust ports lined up pretty much the same gen 1 vs gen 2.

So my guess is if you could resolve the water jacket issue you could use the Gen 2 heads on a Gen 1 car but that is probably more trouble than it is worth.