Gen II Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor (1998 GTS)

Secrt007Agt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a problem with my Auto Shutdown when the car just would not start & then no power to anything locking me inside. I had it towed back home and checked the battery and connections (OK), checked starter (OK), then ran a code check and got a 1388. The service manual indicated I might have issues with Camshaft Sensor and/or Crankshaft Sensor. I removed the Auto Shutdown Relay and started to reconnect the starter wire harness and all the power came on (accidently left the ignition on). Rather than take a chance, I decided it might be good to replace the ASR and both sensors because I don't want to have to go thru that again.

My question; Does anyone have experience changing the Camshaft Sensor and/or Crankshaft Sensors? Does anything need to be re-calibrated? Thanks for any and all help. RG

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crank sensor does bolt right in. Cam sensor must be installed with the cam in the correct position to set the air gap between the sensor and the cam gear. If you install the sensor with the cam in the wrong spot it will brake the sensor as soon as you crank the engine over. There is a Hi and Low side to the cam gear. Must install with the Hi part of the gear aligned with the cam sensor opening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21