Gen II Gas Economy ??? WOW

OP
OP
A

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I filled up when the guage read just above empty...It took 46 ltrs (10.2 Gals)... So obviously my guage is reading wrong. I think the 99's are 16 gallon tanks (72 ltrs) Where do I start to see if it is the guage or the sending unit ? Or do these just read wrong all the time ?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I filled my tank the other day (here in Ontario), cost about $69 or so for Sunoco 94.

Sorry if I sound like a dork.. 46 litres converts to 12.2 US gallons, 10.2 would be UK gallons or Canadian gallons (imperial). That's a common misconception some people have, our windows stickers and TV ads mention mpg in Canada, but it's not the same mpg as adverstised in the US.

Here's my original Canadian window sticker.. US window sticker for the same vehicle may have 23.3 mpg for highway (yet consumption / efficiency federal test procedures may be different too).

You must be registered for see images

Amount of fuel noted on the window sticker, 72 litres = 19 US gallons.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike's right. Since we have Gas cooled electric fuel pumps the pumps need 1/4 tank of gas for cooling. Our gas guages reflect that. The large gas tanks are probably for that reason.

When you tank reads empty you still have a quarter tank of gas. I think that GM calibrates their guages properly and maybe that's why so many people I know had to buy new fuel pumps (they didn't maintain a 1/4 tank of fuel) because theirs burned out? The Dodge fuel guage is an "Idiot proof system" and probably saves a lot of warranty repairs because of that. It is a bad idea to run less than a quarter tank of fuel, but it sure is nice to have that 80 miles extra distance if you guess wrong. In Nevada there was one stretch of highway that had about 70 miles between gas stations.

Ted

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike's right. Since we have Gas cooled electric fuel pumps the pumps need 1/4 tank of gas for cooling. Our gas guages reflect that. The large gas tanks are probably for that reason.

When you tank reads empty you still have a quarter tank of gas. I think that GM calibrates their guages properly and maybe that's why so many people I know had to buy new fuel pumps (they didn't maintain a 1/4 tank of fuel) because theirs burned out? The Dodge fuel guage is an "Idiot proof system" and probably saves a lot of warranty repairs because of that. It is a bad idea to run less than a quarter tank of fuel, but it sure is nice to have that 80 miles extra distance if you guess wrong. In Nevada there was one stretch of highway that had about 70 miles between gas stations.

Ted
you learn something new every day

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960