GEN III -- Audio Tachometer -- NOW for GEN III

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
I normally do not past here ( I have a Gen I), but posted this on the Gen I & II.
Since I have made this now available for Gen III's, I thought you should know.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/607055-shifting-your-viper-audio-tachometer.html

ALL,

Installing the Modifry Redline Shift Beeper, will end your RPM shifting concerns forever!!
NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD OR TRACK TO VIEW THE TACH OR SHIFT LIGHT.

The Redline Shift Beeper connects to the Viper Tach Wire (see instructions), and will provide a series of 3 short "Pacing Beeps" prior to your set maximum RPM setting, which will then provide a continuous beep tone. Your Maximum RPM setting is via 2 dials, one in increments of 1000 RPM, the other in increments of 100 RPM.
The 3 short "Pacing Beeps" can be set to 100, 200, 300 RPM prior to the Maximum setting, your choice. So, for example if you set your maximum setting to 5500 RPM, and the "Pacing Beeps" to 200 RPM, you will hear a beep at 4900, 5100, 5300, and a continuous tone at 5500 RPM.
The Modifry Redline Shift beeper can be set for 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, and Viper (5 cyl) applications.

I have had mine installed for 2 track days now, and can only say that this is the only way to appreciate when to shift your Viper; JUST LISTEN FOR THE BEEPS.

Is it a little creepy never looking at the tach?, yes; is it a little creepy never taking your eyes off the road?, NO.

Modifry's Redline Shift Beeper

http://www.modifry.com/products/rlb/...nual 1.8.pdf

NOW FOR THE GEN III SECTION:

In my Post:
SHIFTING Your Viper - AUDIO Tachometer

I responded to a Gen III question:

"I have to admit ignorance here about the Gen III........."

Well I have become somewhat educated (not so ignorant), and here is what I discovered , after several weeks of searching.

It turns out that the Gen III Viper PCM outputs the Tach signal as is present in Gen I & II Vipers.
The signal, however, is not pulled from the PCM via a wire, so a wire needs to be inserted into the PCM plug, such that when plugged into the PCM, a Tach signal will be available for use with your Redline Shift Beeper. It also turns out that the location of the Tach signal is in the SAME location as in Gen I & II Vipers; that is: It is located in the Gray PCM connector (C101), Pin number C31.
Notice the C31 pin location has no wire and is plugged.
CAREFULLY drill out the plug about 1/8 inch. Use a #30 Drill Bit.
A wire with a connector (as other PCM plug wires), can now be inserted into the Connector, and when plugged into the PCM will supply a Tach Signal.

Where to obtain a wire with a connector? This I am not sure, I have some from the connector I used for the Gen III instructions. Dodge may have them, and some one here may know a part # or a cross reference.

Beeper_Tach_038.JPG

I obtained a Gen III GRAY PCM Connector, for purposes of providing pictures for installation instructions.
I can send pictures if anyone is interested via Email (easiest way).

Sorry this took so long, but as you know, one cannot just go down to their local junk yard and get a Gen 3 PCM connector, more specifically the correct GRAY connector.

Later,

Don Ruckman [email protected]