Gen IV Speaker Replacement Project

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I've done all the searching and I think I've come up with the speakers I'd like to use as replacements in my 2008 Viper. I've already done the Kicker door speakers and am very happy with their sound, fit and look. So I think I plan to stay with the Kicker brand. And I'm not a huge car audio guy, so for me just a quality upgrade that retains the factory look, mounting holes & speaker grills and improves the sound works just fine for me. I don't need extra amps, subs, custom fiberglass boxes, etc...

So the best that I can tell from my forum searches, the factory speaker sizes are as follows (cut & pasted from another thread):

Dash speakers: (2) 3/4" silk dome tweeters
Door speakers: (2) 6.5" midrange (3 hole mount)
Rear fill speakers: (2) 3/4" midrange
Sub: (1) 6.5" woofer in ported enclosure between seats

So with that in mind, here's MY plan:

Door Speakers: Kicker KS600 – ($61.95) DONE!

Dash Speakers: Kicker KS20 ¾” Speakers – ($49.95)

Rear Speakers: Kicker KS20 ¾” Speakers – ($49.95)

Subwoofer: Kicker 6.5” 08CVT65 Shallow Mount ($59.90)

Prices mentioned came from an Ebay search a week or two ago and include shipping. If they are available cheaper elsewhere, please let me know. Thanks for any input you might have in terms of fit, sound quality, or known issues with these particular speakers.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the same door kicker speakers...if everything fits ok and you like the upgrade then let us know as i will probably to the same...

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you change out the speakers in the dash, there is a foam covered module between the speaker and the wire connector. This is a simple crossover for the tweeter.

If the tweeter you buy doesn't come with a crossover, you can use the one the car comes with. Just cut the wire between the crossover and the tweeter and speaker and do your splice there. That way your tweeter should last longer, and sound better aas it's not trying to reproduce sounds it can't.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the 2 center speakers be removed without taking apart the interior ?

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually in the center between the seats, only one is a speaker, the other grill is a port for the bottom speaker.

You have to remove the back panel to get it out. That involves removing the roll hoops first, I think.

Admittedly I haven't done it.

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, to get the factory back panel off, you have some major disassembly ahead of you. I recently installed an autoform rollbar so I just went through the process. Though, you will be removing a lot less just to get to the center speaker enclosure.

While I suppose it can be done with the seats in place, I'm sure it would be a lot easier to do with them out. If you have a vert, this is easy... a coupe, not so easy :)

The hoops come out rather easy, just pop open the access plate behind the seats. Then locate the 2 bolts on each side that secure through the two sides of the hoops. Remove those bolts, then use your fist to "bump" up the hoops to get them out.

When the hoops are out, it's just 6 screws holding the back panel. 2 on the front leading edge ( you have to remove the door trim piece to access them ), 2 near the upper door jam, and two on the sides of the center console near the bottom center edge of the panel.

The whole sub enclosure comes out without much fuss, just remove the 2 side bolts, loosen the bottom bolt, and slide it up and out.

There's probably something on this in the illistrated upgrades section.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. I think I am going to give these a try. I will keep everyone posted once they arrive and are installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang