Gen1 electric radiator fan fails

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '95 viper electric fan has failed. I've read some of the forums that said a '98 or above is a better fan, pulls more air thru. When I went to Dodge, they tell me the '92-2001 or 02, all have the same single fan.

I have always wanted to upgrade the fan, and of course now I have too! Dodge is asking $550, Roe racing has a slightly better fan, $525 Both should bolt right up and plug in. No changes needed.

What have some of you done when you changed out your fan? Where/who did you go with?

thx all!

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had the fan on my 1999 RT-10 fail. I checked with Jon B and he told me where to look for the relay for the fan and I was able to find it, replace it, and keep from replacing the fan. On the 99 there are 3 relays in a plastic box in front of the main fusebox under the hood on the drivers side. There are relays for the fan, the fan speed control, and the third relay is for the starter. Fortunately they are onlky $5 over the counter from a NAPA store. The Gen I may be totally different, but it is worth having them check the relay first. I don't have the Mopar part number, but the relay is a RY438 (V11279) and the brand is "Standard".

This may of no use to you on a Gen I, but hopefully it might help someone else on their car.

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply, my fan motor did freeze up. I just hope it didn't do anything else, I may have look into the relays if it doesn't work after I replace the fan.
(long story short) I could smell a wire burning smell before I located the problem. When I located the problem, I unplugged the fan, and for the rest of the ride home, no more smell, etc.

I did send an email to JonB, to see what he has. I'll update this thread once he pings me back. ty

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it needs replacement as I think they are pretty expensive. I think Jon B is a great idea as he can usually come up with some good deals in a fairly fast timeframe.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a gen 2 fan in my gen 1 a few years ago.. (along with a new radiator) a few years ago. No problems.

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Update:

I went to Roe Racing, and got there Fan, which is a bigger fan. Along with the Fan control kit, this allows the fan to run after the engine is shut off.

The guys at Roe Racing were very cool, they even took a few dollars off the fan...

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey just a suggestion but call Doug Levin in South Florida and ask him about fans. I have a 96 RT and I am looking to upgrade my fan and he specifically suggested a 99 stock fan. Says it is bigger and pushes much more air. Doug Levin 954-434-9356. Good luck.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How come these cars only have one fan? Looks like there could be two side by side like on some other cars. Any one every replace with two?

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey just a suggestion but call Doug Levin in South Florida and ask him about fans. I have a 96 RT and I am looking to upgrade my fan and he specifically suggested a 99 stock fan. Says it is bigger and pushes much more air. Doug Levin 954-434-9356. Good luck.

The fan I got from Roe Racing, is probably that same fan your talking about. it is bigger than my stock fan, and sits more in the middle of the radiator, and does pull alot more air. thanks for the info.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one I banned you from for the final 7 days of politics. But it's in the Gen 1/2 section so you can access it. It's also at viper garage.

What is the actual name of the thread? And approximate date? Never mind. Found it on the Viper garage. Just what I need. Another Viper site to cause trouble!:D

Last edited:

Ryan_DSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We normally have used fans for $300-$375 depending on condition, kinda rare that we get one though. the earlier offset single fan is a pain, we have used motors from fans that had broken shrouds, but the fan motor is rivited into the shroud with steel rivits, you have to drill them out, then bolt the replaced motor in and use lock tite and double nuts to make sure it dosnt vibrate loose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte