Gen1 vs. Gen2

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm buying a gen 1 or 2 viper rt/10 within the next month. I've done extensive research on the diff. between the two thanks in no small part to this site. I was wondering if the non roll up windows etc.. creature comforts get annoying on the gen1. I love the side pipes on the gen 1. Diff in power doesn't concern me because of available mods. When I bought my 97 H1 because of the cheaper price tag I regretted it because the later models were much more refined. I don't want to make that mistake again. The lack of vipers in the Seattle area makes it hard to test drive. They also seem to have an inflated price in this area. In short is the gen 2 a much more refined car that would make big diff. Keep in mind it's a toy not a daily driver. Thanks a bunch. Can't wait to join the club!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want refined, better find a vette.
If you haven't driven a viper, that would be the first thing to do.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want refined, better find a vette.
If you haven't driven a viper, that would be the first thing to do.

exactly what Mitch said

it also depends how much you wanna drive it. if you're gonna do like 10-15K/yr on it, the Gen 1 window issue will be a pain.

the Gen 1s have sidepipes though, & those kick ***! :headbang:

OP
OP
F

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've driven a gen1 not gen2 on test drive. Fell in love. Kind of hard to get a real world road trip sense of a car on a short test drive. I'm definately not in the market for anything of the likes of a vette. ****!! Mine as well buy a civic. I doubt I'll approach anything near 15k, but i like to take 2/3 day road trips. Washington has some of the most beautiful hwys i've seen. unfortunately not a very long dry season to rack up those kind of miles on a toy. If the side windows are a pain then that kind of settles it. I guess i could side pipe a gen 2. :headbang: Anyone compare the after market windows (gen1) to the gen 2?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my GenI, I love not having windows. I've driven a GenII (2001 RT/10, about 500 miles) and a GenI (my current car), so I have a least a little experience. They refined the original Viper into the GenII and III so the vette guys would buy them...just kidding...

but I am serious about enjoying the lack of gadgets, its what makes the Viper great. the biggest advantages though are the side pipes and the smooth hood, that makes all the difference in looks as far as I'm concerned...

I had a 2004 Vette before my Viper and I'm glad I have the Viper now. I wouldn't mind another Vette, but if I can only have one it will be the Viper. I have other cars though, I wouldn't recommend any Viper as a daily driver, its just to awesome to waste in traffic.

I have a Vmania hard top and windows as well as the original soft top and windows. The good thing about the GenI windows is you can't roll them down to talk to people when they are yelling at you in traffic (happens all the time).

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven muscle cars since I was 18. I know they ride rough, they're loud and get horrible gas milage, and I LOVE every minute of it. You have to ask yourself "What can I stand?" What are you willing to tolerate to have the baddest car on the road? Try to test drive both before you make a decision.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GEN 1 is the modern Shelby Cobra...raw muscle with newer technology. The GEN 2 is somewhat refined from a GEN 1...obvioulsy the windows, and some other little things, not major.....you mentioned it is a toy only....It may be my opinion, but I will take a side exhaust over the rear any day of the week! Good luck!

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GEN 1 is the modern Shelby Cobra...raw muscle with newer technology. The GEN 2 is somewhat refined from a GEN 1...obvioulsy the windows, and some other little things, not major.....you mentioned it is a toy only....It may be my opinion, but I will take a side exhaust over the rear any day of the week! Good luck!

You could convert a GENII to side exhaust, fairly easily, but costly. At a minimum you can get glass side sills for just under a grand from Viper Car Parts. Roe Exhaust at about another $900. Heat shields, someone else would have to chime in there, never bought any. And figure out how to mount the GENI side exhaust, nothing like a little fabrication.

As for which to buy, I was after a GEN I for two reasons. I think they will appriciate faster, so if resale is important to you, which for some it is, go GEN I. I also went with a GEN I as I think it was what the car was meant to be. A drop top, two seats, no thrills other than the big engine under the hood. The comparison to the Cobra is perfect. Same concept, no glass, no thrills, just a couple seats and a big motor. THere are arguements for the refinements, like glass, locks, ect on the GEN IIs, but that is the great part, you get what you want. A little more raw basic car in a GEN I or a slightly, and I emphisize slightly, refined car in a GEN II.

Either way, you can not go wrong, well unless you buy one of those "clean" FL Vipers on EBay :)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could convert a GENII to side exhaust, fairly easily, but costly. At a minimum you can get glass side sills for just under a grand from Viper Car Parts. Roe Exhaust at about another $900. Heat shields, someone else would have to chime in there, never bought any. And figure out how to mount the GENI side exhaust, nothing like a little fabrication.

I have a set of Autoform side sills (side exhaust) with the heat shields for sale. $1200 shipped. :2tu:

OP
OP
F

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No shortage of info here..just like the H1 sites. Love the net. Thanks a lot. As for fab work no prob here. I built and wheel full tube hand fab pro rock crawlers.(check the green buggy in Randy's Ring and Pinion 06 Callender, if you can see past the red head, lol) no refinement here. I guess the way i see it now is that i'll be paying 10-15k for roll up windows...?? I'll definately drive a gen 2 first. Not too many for sale in these parts. Last gen1 i looked at was scratched up and not well cared for, it was for sale for gen 2 prices. Guess it pays to live next to Microsoft. 99 rt10.. i'll look into that when the time comes. my exhaust guy does miracle work on our cars and buggy's...never seen anything like it.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put around 70k miles on my old Gen I as a daily driver. You can get around the lack of windows easily by buying a set of windows - I highly recommend the Northwind sliding lexan lockable windows.

I've currently got a Gen II, and, while I dearly love having the real windows on my daily driver, it wouldn't be enough for me to go with the Gen II over the Gen I. I don't really notice the extra power on the Gen II except on the track and I actually prefer the Gen I power delivery (*instant* on, which is partly why so many of them are wrecked), and the Gen I suspension is arguably better for autocross, and means you don't have to learn how to transition a car on a road course. :cool: I do prefer the Gen II interior I currently have - the black/connelly instead of the grey.

So, go with the Gen I if its that close of a call, but DEFINITELY drive each to verify you're OK with it first.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put around 70k miles on my old Gen I as a daily driver. You can get around the lack of windows easily by buying a set of windows - I highly recommend the Northwind sliding lexan lockable windows.

I've currently got a Gen II, and, while I dearly love having the real windows on my daily driver, it wouldn't be enough for me to go with the Gen II over the Gen I. I don't really notice the extra power on the Gen II except on the track and I actually prefer the Gen I power delivery (*instant* on, which is partly why so many of them are wrecked), and the Gen I suspension is arguably better for autocross, and means you don't have to learn how to transition a car on a road course. :cool: I do prefer the Gen II interior I currently have - the black/connelly instead of the grey.

So, go with the Gen I if its that close of a call, but DEFINITELY drive each to verify you're OK with it first.

My thoughts exactly on the gen 1.

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen 1 and love it but, over time, yes the little things add up and you will wish you had a gen 2. I would buy a gen 2 then put the side exhaust on it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are having probs deciding b/t a Gen 1 and Gen 2, do what I did...buy a 96' RT/10. The car is split about 50/50 between Gen 1 and Gen 2 parts/features. The windows dont annoy me at all, they take about 30 seconds to install. I admit they're rather ugly, but 99% of the time, theyre just sitting in my trunk anyway.

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my Gen 1 for almost 2 years and the more I drive it and mod it the more I love my Gen 1 and would not trade it for ANYTHING !!

Start with a Gen 1 and then buy a gen 2 to add to the stable :D

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go gen 1 you are most likely going to want replace the three blade wheels, gen 2 hood, Side windows. The price may not be that much different than a gen 2 when said and done.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go gen 1 you are most likely going to want replace the three blade wheels, gen 2 hood, Side windows. The price may not be that much different than a gen 2 when said and done.

Dam am I the only one who likes the three spoke wheels?

I love my GEN I and will probably hold on to it forever. Although it would be nice to have a blue and white GEN II GTS beside it :)

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GEN 2 is somewhat refined from a GEN 1...obvioulsy the windows, and some other little things, not major.....

GEN 2:

The front fascia is a different unit, different wheel design, door handles, power-actuated glass windows, new interior: the dash was of a different instrument and control layout, redesigned seats, inboard seat belts, air bags, adjustable pedals, new steering wheel. Re-designed chassis, re-designed suspension, a virtually complete redesign of the V-10 engine : more power, lighter, revised fuel-injection system, new head and block castings, no more coolant delivery tubes outside the engine, a lighter forged crankshaft rode in cross-bolted main bearings. New cold-air intake system, new manifolds. Rear-exit exhaust.....among other things. In fact, more than 90 percent of the Viper's parts were changed for the Gen 2.

Dam am I the only one who likes the three spoke wheels?

I like the three spokers too. Gen 1 is unique, love it :headbang:

4382291.jpg

43826.jpg

43827.jpg

43829.jpg

438233.jpg

With 96-98 wheels :eek:

438214.jpg

43821.jpg

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the difference in the forged vs cast pistons and the ability to do "heavier" mods could play a role in your decision. I want to put a TT or SC on my 2001, but will also have to replace the pistons. I also like the {gulp} ABS on my 2001.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it rains way to much in Washington for soft windows.

...I don't consider them a pain in the asp, I consider them standard equipment.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forged versus cast...What does that have to do with gen1 versus gen2?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't that one of the defining differences between Gen I and Gen II (beginning in 2000, they came with cast pistons and not forged)?

Of course I could be totally wrong in my definition of "Gen I" vs "Gen II"...

:eek:

OP
OP
F

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the onfo.

Early gen 2 is now my first choice...forged pistons.

love the gen 1. love the recent prices in these rare super cars also.

Drove my first gen 1 car when i was 19, would've bought it then, but the insurance was $500 A MONTH. Now it's the same price as my H1 and my super duty??? I guess there's at least one advantage to getting older.

I've come to the conclusion that the diff in price is worth getting exactly what you want.

BigBadVR4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much is the total cost to convert a Gen II to the side exhaust, and how hard are the parts to come by?

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the problems with head gaskets and piston sleeves on the gen1 cars? I think that a gen2 engine is alot better for the long haul.