Gen4 owners advice

Reaction score
Attention Gen4 Viper owners or potential owners.

Just a note to the new 2008’ and 2009’ customers out there, we have seen a couple cars come through the shop with 4000 - 5000 miles on the first oil change with a low oil level. We have always recommended that the first oil change be done between 500-750 miles on a new Viper and have had good luck with this, but there are dealers out there that think this is overkill and say 3000 - 5000 per change is all you need because of the full synthetic oil being used. Please be aware of your oil level during the break in period and first oil change interval. Check the oil level at least every 500 miles or so whether or not you are going beyond our recommendation to insure your motor has enough oil.

Remember each motor and driver’s break in procedure will be different but you should check the oil level often as a preventative measure. The bottom of the "SAFE" zone on the dipstick is 2 quarts below full, if you are below that at all you should add oil or get it in for an oil change and go from there. Your 8.4L V-10 has a lot more pistons and valves than your daily driver and it will naturally use more oil.

Thanks and if you have any questions please feel free to call me.

trackpak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
should oil be checked cold or hot? where should level be for a track day (advanced HPDE driver)? have an '08 acr w/ chasis setup by primetime race group. 1750 miles now. thanks---Steve

PS I'll need to chg brake pads for the track day and see that the brembos may require a punch to tap out the holding pins for the pads. can you give me a link to a detailed instruction page for changing these pads to track worthy pads?

OP
OP
mjorgensen Woodhouse
Reaction score
should oil be checked cold or hot? where should level be for a track day (advanced HPDE driver)? have an '08 acr w/ chassis setup by primetime race group. 1750 miles now. thanks---Steve
There is enough oil in a Viper that the oil does expand with heat. Check it when it is cold and if you are going to the track I would run an extra 1/2 quart to a quart. If it is a hot climate be sure to use the 15/50 at the track also.

PS I'll need to chg brake pads for the track day and see that the brembos may require a punch to tap out the holding pins for the pads. can you give me a link to a detailed instruction page for changing these pads to track worthy pads?
I can look for a diagram, but it is pretty straight forward when you look. They change out very quickly.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should oil be checked cold or hot? where should level be for a track day (advanced HPDE driver)? have an '08 acr w/ chasis setup by primetime race group. 1750 miles now. thanks---Steve

Hi Steve,

Checking the oil cold is the most accurate or give her a least half an hour to drip down.

You might want to pick up a copy of the service manual [it only comes on CD].
Do a search here on pads, there's a lot of good info.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My feeling is that you've got to change the oil at 600 miles or so just to get the production and break-in junk of the oil (do one better by changing the filter at 200 miles so that it doesn't start to by-pass). It's a minimal cost when you consider the cost of the car... From there on, keep the oil at the top of the 'safe' range on the dipstick and change the oil every six months even if it isn't driven frequently (most of these cars only put on 5000 miles a year at most). Oil is fairly cheap - engines ten years or so from now aren't... For whatever reason, car buyers these days seem to think the owner's manual is like a bible to be followed blindly - and when it says to change the oil at 7500 mile intervals, I'd suggest owners take a look at their driving habits and fully understand the tough job oil has to do in an engine.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attention Gen4 Viper owners or potential owners.

Just a note to the new 2008’ and 2009’ customers out there, we have seen a couple cars come through the shop with 4000 - 5000 miles on the first oil change with a low oil level. We have always recommended that the first oil change be done between 500-750 miles on a new Viper and have had good luck with this, but there are dealers out there that think this is overkill and say 3000 - 5000 per change is all you need because of the full synthetic oil being used. Please be aware of your oil level during the break in period and first oil change interval. Check the oil level at least every 500 miles or so whether or not you are going beyond our recommendation to insure your motor has enough oil.

Remember each motor and driver’s break in procedure will be different but you should check the oil level often as a preventative measure. The bottom of the "SAFE" zone on the dipstick is 2 quarts below full, if you are below that at all you should add oil or get it in for an oil change and go from there. Your 8.4L V-10 has a lot more pistons and valves than your daily driver and it will naturally use more oil.

Thanks and if you have any questions please feel free to call me.
What a great post for everyone. Going tomorrow to get first oil/filter change at 250 miles on my new 09. And I get all my cars done with synthetic between 1500 and 3000 miles. Hey Mark, I have been doing what the owners manual states and keeping the revs below 4k rpm til 500 miles. Is this real important in your opinion? Cant wait to open it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang