general requirements to take an RT on Track

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the general requirements are to take an RT on the track?
1) Hardtop?
2) Rollbar?
3) four/five point harnesses?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rules depend on club but an almost general one is the "broomstick test"
You don't want your head to "support" the car if you were to flip.

Put your helmet on, seat as normal and put a broomstick over your head between the top of the windshield frame and the sport bar or roll bar etc.

You want to have a least 1" clearance between the stick and the top of your helmet.

Luc.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on the host club like luk said.
I ALWAYS use the hardtop, and that is sufficient. I also use it, as opposed to open, as the car is much 'slicker' at high speeds.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never use a top, and thats running with about four different groups. But, its totally up to the group running the track whether they allow you without a top. Personally, any top I have interferes with my helmet, and would be a deal breaker - if they require a top, I'm not running. I can't be very fast while slumping down in my seat and pretending I'm driving a low-rider - it just doesn't work (I've tried), and I'm not lowering my seat just for a track event.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At a nearby track one organization running there required hardtops to be on, another at the same track required them to be off. In the end, the track rules came into play, which required the broomstick rule, regardless of whether you use a hardtop!

Some clubs that advertise their events as driving schools also require the identical seating and harness on both sides of the car, whether you take an instructor or not. Three point or five, they didn't care as long as it was the same. I now call each club - it's not worth the bad surprise when it's too late.

I did replace my seats with aluminum racing seats - they are more comfy and far lower. In fact, I think I could put the slides back in because they are so thin and still pass the broomstick rule. The other thing you want to ask about with an RT is the use of arm restraints. One club required them also.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Suggest bleeding the brakes and replacing the brake fluid. motul or the castol expensive equivalent (forget the name). probably the best maintenance you can do to the car before you hit the track. if you aren't sure, look at the color of your brake fluid and if it is anything but clear, you need a flush.

JD

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rule number 1.you must have car
2.if your running with viper dudes you can not bring your accord
3. no skate boards.
other than that your in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member