GenIV: my driving impressions of my bonding time with the new '08

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having the RT/10 and moving to the SRT/10 was interesting, moving to the GenIV is also interesting. I finally got some good street time in the car & some parking lot sliding time.

Amazingly smoother at idle, my GenIII idled like it was cammed, had a real shake to her, this purrs subtly like a sleeping lion. Smooth as a regular car - if you know what I mean. Cooler, I did some insulating and the corsa track in my 03, and that made it OK. I drove in 94 degree super humidity, top down, AC on, and was comfy, top up & you can freeze. So that's nice.

Looks, it's black so it's the most attractive color & that helps. :rolaugh: I do like the 5 spoke wheels, more so than I though I would from pics, but my 03 had the 6 spokes I adore, and the Vipair hood, which is more agressive, so I do miss those, but this is still a beauty.

Driving, the throttle and clutch are surprising different. There's a delay in the throttle and the clutch feels harder, the throttle is also touchier to me, it'll take a little getting used to, not a problem, just different from my GenIII. It has a 'gathering steam' kind of power delivery. At first it doesn't feel that much stronger, but when you start playing higher up, it comes alive, and the power is delivered much smoother to me. The exhaust is killing me, I'm trying to hold off on changing it, but the stock exhaust is so weak, I need it to sound like it should, self control will be a problem on this.:smirk:

The stereo is way better, maybe because mine was a '03, but the stereo is actually decent for what it is by comparison.

I ordered my various MGW stuff, including a short throw to rid myself of the truck shifter. I don't plan on anything too involved, just an exhaust for sure, maybe hiflo cats, maybe MOPAR PCM (maybe), but 1st the rollbar & seat lowering.

Anyway, thought I'd share, gotta get some throttle practice in before July track day. But in 2 words, LOVE IT. -but like who wouldn't.

Pics? oh pleez, like you haven't seen a black GenIV vert with 5 spokes. :lmao:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an '06 which I traded for an '08. The throttle definitely felt better on the '06 - just off idle anyway.

Otherwise, I did the 1" seat lowering and MGW Shifter, then the MOPAR PCM, and then Corsa w/ Roe H/F cats. Much better IMO. Louder.:D

I managed an 11.44 @ 128 on my only time at the track. Crappy launch(way too easy off the line) and granny shifted. The cars got more ET and MPH in it if I can ever get back to the strip.:dunno:

BenDiem

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^^ I agree w/Hamrhead.

I too traded my beloved '06 in on a Gen IV. I actually miss my old '06. I liked the clutch engagement and the perceived superior low end torque better in my old '06.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my '09. My only complaint w/my '09 is that when I let out the clutch, while in traffic, and in second gear, I have to give the '09 much more gas/throttle than my old '06. I liked the clutch engagement and the slow speed launches from second gear better in the '06.

The newer '08-'10 tranny is superior to the old T-56, that is found in the '06. All in all, I prefer the '09 over the '06, I just wished the '09 had not lost the low end torque of my old '06.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came from a Gen 2 so going to the Gen 4 ACR was a quantum leap.
Everything is better, with the exception of the clutch engagement as mentioned above.
Took a while to get used to and more than a few stalls.
Gen 2 was effortless, never stalled it once in 7 years. The Gen 4 requires MUCH more throttle application.
But other than that love the Gen 4. Even more than the acceleration power, I love the stopping power.
The brakes are incredible, and coming from the non ABS '97-'98 era brakes well....not even in the same stratosphere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang