Getting Near the 10's in my mildy modified 06 Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious why Evan would want to distance himself from a 10.x run in a Viper and posts an 11.77 instead on his Highlights page. Just seems odd to me...

If I had a 10.x run in a Viper, I'd have it ink'd on... LOL J/K

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the difference guys he sets these records with no ownership of these cars ,extremely limited seat time .He ran a 11.3 in my Gen 4 after exactly 3 runs (NEVER HAD DRIVED A GEN 4 Viper before that NEVER .)Years ago John Coletti Gave him a FGT Prototype to run=John wanted to see exactly what one would run .Iasked him(Coletti ) why Evan he replied because hes probably the best drag racer in the country on stock tires .Thats coming from John Coletto (google his name if you dont know who he is .Pick av random car out that neith Evan ,Nine ball ,Flat out ECT has NEVER DRIVEN to think they could beat him is absurd.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious why Evan would want to distance himself from a 10.x run in a Viper and posts an 11.77 instead on his Highlights page. Just seems odd to me...

If I had a 10.x run in a Viper, I'd have it ink'd on... LOL J/K
He tried hundreds of times in my Gen 2 (more power than my Gen 4)over a 10 year period and 4 times in my Gen 4 never ran 10s .I called him 2 days ago to ask about the feasability of running 10s with the Gen 4 and he thought it was going to be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT .Smith was dialed in at 11.3 to pick up 4 tenths is tough .Not the car its the Pilots .Da under 2000 feet is not revelant its more track prep and driver .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kayla thanks for posting that. Just by looking at that profile I can see that i personally ran a quicker time than Evan did in my c5 Zo6 which was actually an 01 model with 20 less hp than the 04 Evan ran. I went 11.98@117 in mine. For the sake of argument as well I had less than 15 passes on that car.

1bad pros vs. Joes seriously? The best 1/4 mile pros don't play with street cars lol. To think that Evan is the only guy that can run those times is crazy.

The Ranger example is perfect. I have seen him run many times, and frankly he's not that good. After his 1 millionth pass in his own car he sets records. He runs damn near every weekend and eventually runs the number. I have seen him make runs in other peoples cars and perform subpar.
Really years ago Evan squared up with Tony Petrogon or another TOP LINE drag racer in a stock Mustang Cobra heads up.Smith won easily =different world on stock tires.There is a reason he gets paid the money he does to test these cars.My business partner played in the NFL for 6 years (before that he was an hon mention All American at NEBRASKA).When he was playing there was always some drung at a bar proclaiming that in high school he was as good as my partner followed by your partner got all the breaks .My reply was i realize thats thats why your hear drinking beer and hes ther starting DT for the NY Giants making 7 figures ar 25 years old.Boy did the Giants make a mistake.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really years ago Evan squared up with Tony Petrogon or another TOP LINE drag racer in a stock Mustang Cobra heads up.Smith won easily =different world on stock tires.There is a reason he gets paid the money he does to test these cars.My business partner played in the NFL for 6 years (before that he was an hon mention All American at NEBRASKA).When he was playing there was always some drung at a bar proclaiming that in high school he was as good as my partner followed by your partner got all the breaks .My reply was i realize thats thats why your hear drinking beer and hes ther starting DT for the NY Giants making 7 figures ar 25 years old.Boy did the Giants make a mistake.

Same could be said as to why you are on an internet forum being a blatant trapeze artist from the ******* of another man instead of driving your own car. What is your excuse?

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best of luck!! I hope to see you hit the 10's soon! Glad to see you doing it on your own and in your own car! Anything else is just a matter of how much money you want to sink into a car and has nothing to do with your abilities. You and Dragon Rider are doing a great job piloting your own cars and representing the viper community, keep up the great work and have fun!

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same could be said as to why you are on an internet forum being a blatant trapeze artist from the ******* of another man instead of driving your own car. What is your excuse?
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

If you don't mind I may use that one at some time. Thats what i love about the VCA-you can always find a good laugh!

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

If you don't mind I may use that one at some time. Thats what i love about the VCA-you can always find a good laugh!

Use away. 1SADGTS just doesn't seem to see how lonely his vision really is.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Making a 10 sec pass in a slightly modded gen III or a bone stock gen IV is a difficult task to achieve. There are a lot of incredible drivers in this country who will never have the chance to post really fast times because of their geographical location. I'm not taking anything away from the well known drivers that have been discussed in this thread, but say that they are the only ones capable of going into the 10's isn't true. 1Bad I understand your argument. The facts don't lie. Only one person has ever made a 10 sec pass on street tires, but if a average driver like myself can make back to back 11.4 passes I'm sure good driver can make a 10'sec pass in a stock Gen IV and maybe a modded gen III. I agree with speedfreak seat time is key. It took me five passes to run a sub 13 sec pass in my 03. Another 20-30 passes to run 12.5. After another 20 passes of so it clicked. I went from 12.5 to 12 flat to consistent 11.7's to consistent 11.5's then back back 11.4 passes. Then the weather became too hot in Georgia to go any faster. My 11.4 run took 3 years 25k miles 50 plus passes and a lot of research. My car is now 70 lbs lighter than before and with some tips from speedfreak, I will lose another 20lbs. If I am lucky enough to make a 11.2 pass I will drive the car to one those magic tracks in the north east this fall. It 's not about running a 10'sec pass, it's the journey and I am having a blast while doing it. Sorry for the long post guys.

Last edited:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jaime has done 10's in a Gen IV. I'm sure there are more than those two. Keep trying guys, it can be done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stock 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Convertible runs 10’s

March 24th, 2009 Most would agree that the latest Dodge Viper with its dyno proven 600+ HP and 3,450 curb weight “should” be able to run 10’s in the 1/4 mile while still in stock form. Although there have been many attempts that have come close, nobody had cracked into the 10’s in a bone stock Viper until now.
Jamie Furman took his brand new 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 convertible with just 100 miles on the odometer out to Maryland International Raceway during a private track rental to give it a try. After 4 runs in the very low 11’s, he ended up running a 10.92 @ 129.79 MPH with a 1.76 60′ time. Weather was in the 50’s for the run with a Density Altitude (DA) of around -915 feet.
Jamie’s previous attempts at a 10 second stock Viper pass was done ins his new 2009 Viper ACR back in October 2008 running an 11.07 @ 129.8 MPH. By looking at the timeslips, it looks like either Viper can make it into the 10’s with the proper launch, shifting and weather. Congrats to Jamie for a great record breaking run.
Check out timeslip and pictures below and check back soon for the video.
UPDATE: Video has been added, click on the links below:
2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Timeslip and Pictures
You must be registered for see images attach

Stock 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 1/4 mile Drag Racing timeslip specs 0-60 - DragTimes.com

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Making a 10 sec pass in a slightly modded gen III or a bone stock gen IV is a difficult task to achieve. There are a lot of incredible drivers in this country who will never have the chance to post really fast times because of their geographical location. I'm not taking anything away from the well known drivers that have been discussed in this thread, but say that they are the only ones capable of going into the 10's isn't true. 1Bad I understand your argument. The facts don't lie. Only one person has ever made a 10 sec pass on street tires, but if a average driver like myself can make back to back 11.4 passes I'm sure good driver can make a 10'sec pass in a stock Gen IV and maybe a modded gen III. I agree with speedfreak seat time is key. It took me five passes to run a sub 13 sec pass in my 03. Another 20-30 passes to run 12.5. After another 20 passes of so it clicked. I went from 12.5 to 12 flat to consistent 11.7's to consistent 11.5's then back back 11.4 passes. Then the weather became too hot in Georgia to go any faster. My 11.4 run took 3 years 25k miles 50 plus passes and a lot of research. My car is now 70 lbs lighter than before and with some tips from speedfreak, I will lose another 20lbs. If I am lucky enough to make a 11.2 pass I will drive the car to one those magic tracks in the north east this fall. It 's not about running a 10'sec pass, it's the journey and I am having a blast while doing it. Sorry for the long post guys.
Dragon i thought the same thing with my Gen 2 over a 10 year period that car had hundreds of runs with Evan,Jamie Furman Kenny Miele behind the wheel .It trapped on a bad day 129 on a good day 132 (so the power was there .)Many many runs of 11.2-11.3 nothing under that

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jaime has done 10's in a Gen IV. I'm sure there are more than those two. Keep trying guys, it can be done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stock 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Convertible runs 10’s

March 24th, 2009 Most would agree that the latest Dodge Viper with its dyno proven 600+ HP and 3,450 curb weight “should” be able to run 10’s in the 1/4 mile while still in stock form. Although there have been many attempts that have come close, nobody had cracked into the 10’s in a bone stock Viper until now.
Jamie Furman took his brand new 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 convertible with just 100 miles on the odometer out to Maryland International Raceway during a private track rental to give it a try. After 4 runs in the very low 11’s, he ended up running a 10.92 @ 129.79 MPH with a 1.76 60′ time. Weather was in the 50’s for the run with a Density Altitude (DA) of around -915 feet.
Jamie’s previous attempts at a 10 second stock Viper pass was done ins his new 2009 Viper ACR back in October 2008 running an 11.07 @ 129.8 MPH. By looking at the timeslips, it looks like either Viper can make it into the 10’s with the proper launch, shifting and weather. Congrats to Jamie for a great record breaking run.
Check out timeslip and pictures below and check back soon for the video.
UPDATE: Video has been added, click on the links below:
2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Timeslip and Pictures
You must be registered for see images attach

Stock 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 1/4 mile Drag Racing timeslip specs 0-60 - DragTimes.com
I part like the part MANY ATTEMPTS HAVE BEEN MADE not according to some on this topic LOL LOL

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same Could Be Said As To Why You Are On An Internet Forum Being A Blatant Trapeze Artist From The ******* Of Another Man Instead Of Driving Your Own Car. What Is Your Excuse?
your Daddy Is An Excuse For Letting You Play On His Computer.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad, here's the thing... From my limited experience...

Most who go to a drag strip could care less about stock tires or records. Owners of Vettes & Vipers are going to have fun. Out here on the West Coast, we have high heat and other factors. But our members that drag race do it to have fun with THEIR car... I'm sure if someone out here sets a goal, someone will achieve it. Even if they only come close, they will likely have fun trying.

You had your jolly's when your car was on the track, even if you were not driving it. Step back now and let the guys here have their fun too.

Enough already with posting on every drag thread, or trying to turn every dyno thread into a drag discussion...

Do you really have to control every thread about drag racing? The screaming CAPITOL letters... Can't you see how over the top all of that is? This is a family forum. Are you really gonna tell kids they should never try? Because someone already did it?

Come on man... just say enough already...

Enjoy the sport. Enjoy the car.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad, here's the thing... From my limited experience...

Most who go to a drag strip could care less about stock tires or records. Owners of Vettes & Vipers are going to have fun. Out here on the West Coast, we have high heat and other factors. But our members that drag race do it to have fun with THEIR car... I'm sure if someone out here sets a goal, someone will achieve it. Even if they only come close, they will likely have fun trying.

You had your jolly's when your car was on the track, even if you were not driving it. Step back now and let the guys here have their fun too.

Enough already with posting on every drag thread, or trying to turn every dyno thread into a drag discussion...

Do you really have to control every thread about drag racing? The screaming CAPITOL letters... Can't you see how over the top all of that is? This is a family forum. Are you really gonna tell kids they should never try? Because someone already did it?

Come on man... just say enough already...

Enjoy the sport. Enjoy the car.
You got me wrong buddy not trying to control anything the threads get heated when logic and factual data is ignored. If it can be done god bless stop posting about almost getting close and just do it .If one thinks he has missed his calling ( hes is a better driver than a top line pro test driver )come out from behind the computer ,send your resume to the mags ,Ford Motor Company ect and again do it dont talk about it .

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragon Rider..I feel confident you will get there..Always have

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your Daddy Is An Excuse For Letting You Play On His Computer.

The daddy obsession is a little scary, but it does make sense seeing as how you are a trapeze artist. When is your Daddy Furman going to drive your car again?

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He tried hundreds of times in my Gen 2 (more power than my Gen 4)over a 10 year period and 4 times in my Gen 4 never ran 10s .I called him 2 days ago to ask about the feasability of running 10s with the Gen 4 and he thought it was going to be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT .Smith was dialed in at 11.3 to pick up 4 tenths is tough .Not the car its the Pilots .Da under 2000 feet is not revelant its more track prep and driver .

While I agree your trap speed in your Gen II makes it 10 second capable the rest of the comparison is moot. The car has neither the same chassis, suspension, engine, trans, gearing or tires of a Gen III or Gen IV. So to draw the conclusion that since a "profesional" couldn't do it in your gen II makes it impossible for someone else to do it in a IV makes no sense at all. I believe there are several people on this forum that have taken Gen IV to sub 11.20 times but not tens and none are professional drivers. That is better than Smith has done in your Gen II traping 3+ mph more with good DA.

DA under 2000 feet is NOT RELAVANT? You are smoking crack man. I have dusted at least 3 tenths and 3-4 mph off my time taking it from 2000 DA to near or below see level in MY car on the SAME track. Yeah driver matters but in your analysis it is ALL that matters. Simply not true and very simplistic. To get record times you must have GREAT driving and GREAT weather, period. Nobody is setting records in 2000 DA weather in a stock car. Give me a break.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1bad I never said I was a better driver than Evan. What I did say is that, that alone doesn't mean that I can't beat his one time pass in a car that I own. I have the luxury of owning the car and getting it to the track on the best days. That's why even though he's a "pro" I still ran a faster time than he did in the Vette. It's really not that hard to figure out. Evans not the only one that can drive dude.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speedfreak gets it, weather is the equalizer between great drivers.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Absolutely. Be glad your not running at Bandamiere in Colorado. Nothing like running on the side of a mountain to destroy your hp.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Facts are facts IF could do behind the wheel what he could you would be getting paid to stock cars not him but your not are you (take a look at the TV Show PROS VERSES JOES see what happens when the Joe goes heads up with the Pro ).If you were to run a search of the STOCK PRODUCTION records for american supercars he is in the top 3 best times for all of them with VERY LITTLE SEAT TIME (are you if so point it out )

I know Evan can drive, that needs no proving. I'm just saying that others out here can also drive, they just aren't privy to the hook-ups of being a magazine editor with time to attend these tests. Evan's career is cars and magazines and testing, this comes with perks. Not all of us have the time to do this stuff. My hourly rate would also be pretty high for them to fly me out to drive cars, since I'd have to take vacation time and miss out on my normal career to do so. I'm fine with not being your hero, and you not knowing I can drive a car. At least we all know YOU can't! :lmao:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...blah blah I <3 Evan Smith...

Evan Smith + 1BADGTS = 4EVAH!!

Look here, someone that has common sense and intelligence:
It fails to take into account that a talented but not professional driver can sometimes get more out of the same car because he spends nothing but time driving that car and develops a level of connection and finesse that simply doesn't come from climbing in it and taking a couple dozen passes. I own three cars. They all drive and launch very differently. I have given up taking them out to the track together because I find I end up with mediocre times in them all because it is just too difficult to reach that zen connection with the car if I am driving one and then another, etc. A professional can do this better than me but it is still the same issue of getting all the stars to align in a particular car and that takes a real dedication to methodically refining your technique over quite a bit of time.
As has been stated several times in this thread, the number of good drivers who actually drag race there vipers is VERY small. I have been to my track 2 dozen times without seeing or racing another viper. At every event there are a dozen or more Z06s of various performance levels. So it is simply an empty comparison.

Just my .02 but that is what the facts support with Ranger, Furman, etc. So just because Evan Smith or some other professional can't run a 10 in a stock 08 viper etc., doesn't mean it can't and won't be done. The fact that Furman did it already proves my point.
Look, someone else that isn't keyboard racing or swinging off of someone else's nuts:
Kayla thanks for posting that. Just by looking at that profile I can see that i personally ran a quicker time than Evan did in my c5 Zo6 which was actually an 01 model with 20 less hp than the 04 Evan ran. I went 11.98@117 in mine. For the sake of argument as well I had less than 15 passes on that car.

1bad pros vs. Joes seriously? The best 1/4 mile pros don't play with street cars lol. To think that Evan is the only guy that can run those times is crazy.

The Ranger example is perfect. I have seen him run many times, and frankly he's not that good. After his 1 millionth pass in his own car he sets records. He runs damn near every weekend and eventually runs the number. I have seen him make runs in other peoples cars and perform subpar.

10.92 @ 129.79 MPH with a 1.76 60′ time. Weather was in the 50’s for the run with a Density Altitude (DA) of around -915 feet.[/URL]

Look at that, a 1.76 60' on PS2's. Isn't that "impossible" with stock tires? :rolleyes:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I agree your trap speed in your Gen II makes it 10 second capable the rest of the comparison is moot. The car has neither the same chassis, suspension, engine, trans, gearing or tires of a Gen III or Gen IV. So to draw the conclusion that since a "profesional" couldn't do it in your gen II makes it impossible for someone else to do it in a IV makes no sense at all. I believe there are several people on this forum that have taken Gen IV to sub 11.20 times but not tens and none are professional drivers. That is better than Smith has done in your Gen II traping 3+ mph more with good DA.

DA under 2000 feet is NOT RELAVANT? You are smoking crack man. I have dusted at least 3 tenths and 3-4 mph off my time taking it from 2000 DA to near or below see level in MY car on the SAME track. Yeah driver matters but in your analysis it is ALL that matters. Simply not true and very simplistic. To get record times you must have GREAT driving and GREAT weather, period. Nobody is setting records in 2000 DA weather in a stock car. Give me a break.
A 128 mph trap speed should easily get you in the 10s smith ran that in a horrible DA in my Gen 4 BUT didnt get 10s .Many(including Jamie Furman )will tell you a Gen 2 hooks just the same if not better than a Gen 4 .Yea there a ton of 11.2 so what thats not a 10 second run.My Gen 2 must have run 11.3 -11.2 twenty times

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Evan can drive, that needs no proving. I'm just saying that others out here can also drive, they just aren't privy to the hook-ups of being a magazine editor with time to attend these tests. Evan's career is cars and magazines and testing, this comes with perks. Not all of us have the time to do this stuff. My hourly rate would also be pretty high for them to fly me out to drive cars, since I'd have to take vacation time and miss out on my normal career to do so. I'm fine with not being your hero, and you not knowing I can drive a car. At least we all know YOU can't! :lmao:
My orthopedic surg makes alot more than the average player on the Giants =does than mean he could play in the league.Why would John Coletti spend over 100k to bring two tractor trailers full of parts and 15 or so SVT ENGINEERS from Mich to Englishtown NJ TO HAVE SMITH RN A PROTOTYPE FGT if others can drive as well.Yes there are people who have extensive seat time in their part cars at may match him for a run overall consistancy no way. Take that same driver (including yourself )and give him a car hes NEVER driven before against Smith and that person will get destroyed easily..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The daddy obsession is a little scary, but it does make sense seeing as how you are a trapeze artist. When is your Daddy Furman going to drive your car again?
I dont know didnt i tell you to go ask your daddy.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good thread that could have had lots of good info ruined/abused and mearly nothing more than another 1BADGTS'ATHON..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good thread that could have had lots of good info ruined/abused and mearly nothing more than another 1BADGTS'ATHON..
If you pay attention to what iam saying you might learn something about drag racing.LOL i only report what i actually see and experiance from watching the best in the country do something(lol i years of watching Smith at E-town test doesnt compare to you running on the strret with a Vericom but )

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we want to learn something about drag racing, we would probably listen to 1fast400, who owned a race track, has several cars including two TT Viper's both making 1000++++whp, and races them often (with street tires). Not someone who merely relays information. The funny thing is, Evan Smith probably told you the whole 10 second statement, not knowing you would EVER blow it out of proportion this far.

Read more of 1fast400's posts, and post less :2tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.