Getting paxton but want car louder. Should I delete cats?

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need some opinions guys. I want my car louder. I have corsa exhaust and getting paxton installed right now.

Should I delete all 4 cats? The issues then are possible smell / burning eyes . Also Mark was concerned the paxton stock setup might not have enough fuel ? I've heard tieing the 02 sensors to get fresh air will solve check engine lights popping up.

Should I delete only 2 cats? Although I seen somebody on the board did this and the 2 cats they left in went bad after only a few thousand miles. I probably wouldnt even know how to tell when the cats went bad and am worried that it could cause an engine failure and lead to big problems.

The car is gonna get tuned right after the supercharger install , so if I delete the cats now it will get tuned properly instead of tune it then delete cats and have to tune all over again.

What do you guys suggest? I want the car louder than just the corsa exhaust, although I have not heard it with the supercharger yet

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
go with belanger headers...mine was loud and mean.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not gonna really go the header route right now and spend 4 grand installed as I'm already spending a ton on the supercharger and all the extras I'm getting.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does woodhouse recommend ?

Mark is woodhouse............

To answer the question. Delete the Cats if you want loud. I am still contemplating straight pipes following this. You read I did throw a CEL after deleting cats even with simms. I am going for a drive this week with my tuner to see if we can tune this out and prevent the CEL from returning. We are thinking the short and long term fuel trims are off now while in closed loop with the added air flow from the cat delete and smaller pully on the paxton, albeit the paxton should not effect except in open loop. We'll see. But thus far, I say trash the potato's stuck up your pipes :D

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark is thinking deleting 2 cats and keeping 2 at this point.

I think Id go that route. I went with hi flows, wasnt loud enough, so i went to NO cats. But now after a year, im starting to want cats back in. Its just too loud. One day i love it still, thennext i want quiet. It definately has a mean bark without cats and people know your coming, but my ears are suffering. Its hard to talk on phone or even have a normal conversation while driving. Since i dont daily drive mine, ive been lazy to put cats back in. If it was a daily, i would have to.

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had corsa exhaust w/random tech hi-flo cats on my last viper w/the metal substrates and it sounded KILLER! I've got just the normal hi-flo cats w/out the metal substrates and corsa exhaust on this car. Now I wish I had the metal substrates. They make a subtle but perfect difference in my opinion. As MikeR said above, going w/no cats sounds mean, but may get tiresome...just my .02. John B. at partsrack can get you hooked up...or Mark can too I'm sure. I'm looking forward to getting my car up north for the paxton treatment before too long once I get some business taken care of!!!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do hi flo cats. I have them on my car, and on hot days at red lights, the smell can still get you. I got thrown off the track at Limerock due to my car being too loud w/ Belangers and hi flo cats. If you delete cats, you will be very LOUD and have a smelly car. Many of the guys I know that have deleted them eventually put them back on.

Just my .02 cents.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok looks like I'm going to take Mark's advise and go with 2 cats and delete 2 cats. Deleting the 2 pre-cats and keeping the main cats.