Giving My '03 SRT10 a Rest.........

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since my 16 year old son took over my '04 Ram Hemi Sport, I'd been using my Viper as my daily driver. It's done fine; I have had no problems. However, as the mileage on the clock began to creep over 30K, I decided on Plan B.........purchase another set of wheels. I wanted a sports car, not too expensive, easy on gas, with the gawk factor approaching that of a Viper.

Four weeks ago. I bought an '04 Crossfire Coupe. It's basically a Mercedes SLK 320 with Chrysler sheetmetal. The cars never sold too well and now the used ones are selling at bargin basement prices. Mine had 29K miles, 6 speed manual, and every creature comfort known to man. The price: $13,900. New, it had an MSRP of $32K. I did pay $150 to have the 7/70 powertrain warranty transferred. To date, I've beeen very pleased.

If anybody is looking for a bargin, for whatever reason, look at a used Crossfire.

Don

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have looked at crossfire myself. It was too small for me (and I fit comfortably in my viper @ 5'10"). Someone said it looks like a dog taking a cr@p. I like it though.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! Talk about a deal. That is sweet.

When I did the SRT Track Experience, we got to drive the SRT6's and while I'm not a fan of the looks of the car, they were an absolute blast to drive. 14K is not a bad price for a fun to drive little car, that's for sure.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats funny, in my opinion the SRT6 sucked at the track. I had way more fun in he Charger and 300 even the magnum for that matter!!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats funny, in my opinion the SRT6 sucked at the track. I had way more fun in he Charger and 300 even the magnum for that matter!!

I did not drive them on the 'big course' because I could not get in them comfortably with a helmet on (downside to being 6'4"). We did do an auto-x module with them though, and it was fun to toss the rear end around through the cones.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you have an SRT Charger, what do you think is more fun to drive the Charger or the Crossfire?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you have an SRT Charger, what do you think is more fun to drive the Charger or the Crossfire?

Well, in contrast to the Crossfire (which I did drive in Auto-X but not on the big track at Summit Point), I drove the Charger and the 300 on the track but didn't auto-X.

That said, I absolutely loved the Charger and the 300 on the track....couldn't wait to get back in 'em after each session. These cars handle AMAZINGLY well for a 4400 lb sedan and tearing around the track in them was loads of fun. The one MAJOR dislike of the Charger/300 is the autostick transmission. When all is said and done, it still shifts like an automatic, and the stick mode isn't truly manual. For a guy who's had sports cars almost non-stop for the last 15 years, the autostick just doesn't cut it very well. But as a daily driver, you can't beat all the creature comforts AND 425 BHP.

I did hear the guys who could fit in the Crossfire say they enjoyed it on the track. I'm sure it's much more nimble at speed than the Charger/300, and based on the autox time we had with them, they'd be much open to throttle-steering and trail braking. The longer wheel base of the Charger/300 seems to make them very prone to understeer.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that kcobean,
I didnt get a chance to put much track time in the cars at VOI9, but of all of the SRT cars enjoyed the Charger most, I was having a hell of a time keeping up with a club member in a Charger while I was in the crossfire, it seemed to not have enough suspention under it. When you headed into the apex it seemed the nose was diving really hard and the car didnt have enough snap to transfer the wieght and pull out of the corners.
Just my .02c, could be I think it is under powered because I am used to my Viper:D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that kcobean,
I didnt get a chance to put much track time in the cars at VOI9, but of all of the SRT cars enjoyed the Charger most, I was having a hell of a time keeping up with a club member in a Charger while I was in the crossfire, it seemed to not have enough suspention under it. When you headed into the apex it seemed the nose was diving really hard and the car didnt have enough snap to transfer the wieght and pull out of the corners.
Just my .02c, could be I think it is under powered because I am used to my Viper:D

The Charger really is a fun beast. On the road, the power this thing has is awesome. When you put your foot to the floor (and once the tranny is done catching up with you), people don't expect it to do what it does because of its' size.

And yeah..you're "Viper Jaded" in regards to power The crossfire is not bad for what it is, but Viper it's not, that's for sure. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc