Good Deal? 2006 Supercharged Coupe

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to join the Viper club tomorrow, but wanted to get some feedback from the forum.

I found a 2006 Coupe, Black with White Stripes, Paxton supercharger installed by Woodhouse Dodge, 13,000 miles, 08' Hood, Corsa, Headers, short throw shifter. Car was dyno'd at 660HP+ at the wheels.

I traded a car in but my net cost for the car was $53.5k. The car was owned by a VCA President in Kansas City for approx. 11,000 miles and supercharger was installed with 1,500 miles and runs about 7lbs. boost. Car is in impeccable condition. No modifications for the motor, stock ECU.

Thoughts on the price? I am asking because I probably could get out of the deal if I really wanted, but I really like the car but I don't want to overpay for it since it is financed.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I would say that it is much better to figure out what a car is worth before you buy it, rather than after.

The car certainly sounds well worth the price you paid from a monetary standpoint.

If you've found that you can't justify that extra power and you had a satisfaction guaranteed agreement with the seller, then go for it. That type of car is not for everyone. I certainly don't feel the "need" for more power. I have plenty fun with mine at stock HP levels.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have preferred a stock Viper but there were none for sale (Gen III) in my entire region except this one. The car has progressive power, stock down low and much higher power up the rev range.

I didn't have a need for so much power, just a need for a Viper Coupe. It just so happens it is supercharged.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming you want a sc car. make sure and get a leakdown test before you buy it. You know it was installed and tuned correctly when it was done but things happen when cars leave the tuner.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compression and leak down came back really good from the Viper Tech. Each cylinder was 140-145 (and I am at altitude).

F

FrgMstr

I would have preferred a stock Viper but there were none for sale (Gen III) in my entire region except this one. The car has progressive power, stock down low and much higher power up the rev range.

I didn't have a need for so much power, just a need for a Viper Coupe. It just so happens it is supercharged.

Well, if you are willing to drive a few hours, I know for sure you can find one without SC and probably save you some solid cash.

I found the one I wanted and got off my ass and got it. I flew from LA to Dallas, to Rhode Island on a Friday. Then on Saturday I drove mine 2000 miles from Taunton, Mass to Dallas, TX to get the deal I wanted and the car I wanted. :drive:

Sounds to me like you are not getting exactly what you want because you are a bit lazy. Get out and see some open road. Great time of year to do so. :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you might want to consider the cost to REtune the car once you get it. factor that in and if you dont have a reputable tuner close by, it might not be as easy.. just a thought

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the car today. It also has 3.55 gears in it so whoever said pairing a supercharger with 3.55 gears meant "alot of shifting" was right. Funny thing is that the car has 750 HP (at the crank and at sea level) but you can hardly spend any time in that power area before you have to shift.

The car is great though, very clean. Only observation is that the steering is very "twitchy", quick changes of direction give the sensation of floating for a moment. I will probably need to lower it I guess. Any thoughts on that?

Otherwise I am very pleased. This was Bill Corum's viper from Kansas City and I have ALL the documentation of work, parts, receipts, dyno charts, original window sticker, EVERYTHING. Super documented.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats !!!

with a change in altitude, that tune is going to need to be checked IMO. i personally would not go WOT till i got it checked but im conservative with stuff like that.

pics !

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only observation is that the steering is very "twitchy", quick changes of direction give the sensation of floating for a moment. I will probably need to lower it I guess. Any thoughts on that?

What tires are on it?

What he said. If runflats, and original, then that's probably the issue. I'd check alignment, also. Mandatory, IMHO, if you buy new tires. New tires are one of the best "mods" that can be done on many Vipers ! :2tu:

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction, front tires have 11k miles on them. Rears have 4k miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats !!!

with a change in altitude, that tune is going to need to be checked IMO. i personally would not go WOT till i got it checked but im conservative with stuff like that.

pics !

I am at altitude so if anything I would think the car is running rich and not lean??

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know what your philosophy of tires is but, except for slicks, I try to change all four at the same time and try to make sure that they were all made at close to the same time.

When you say Pilot Sports do you mean the PS2s used on the Gen IV or something else? The PS2s used on the Gen IV are a great tire and make a real difference in ride and handling.

You also might want to check the balance on all the tires and, as mentioned above, the alignment but make sure that you have the alignment done by someone who is familiar with Vipers and, assuming you have the stock suspension, can tweak the suspension settings a bit for the PS2s although many run the PS2s with the Gen III stock suspension settings and do not seem to have any problem.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires are PS2's and are 5 years ( front) and 3 years ( rear)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32