Goodbye to my Viper insurance - adios!

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have decided to drop my insurance, plates and inspections on my Viper. It never gets driven on the street anymore, so why pay the extra $1,000 per year to insure and plate it? It might also help to not have it on my policy when my son turns 16 next year.

I have wondered if they would cover the car if there was an on track contact event anyway.

It is almost liberating to call the insurance and have them drop the car from the policy. :usa:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well pay $133 a month so mines $1,596 a year with state farm which is not bad for me since im 20, i believe 25 puts you into another bracket so to speak

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pay $220 a month for full coverage. I have one accident on my record though. I am 29.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you keep the car at home? You may want to make sure your home owners policy will cover any damage on the car if caused by a natural disaster like a tornado, etc. or by structural damage on the house.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what are you going to do when it gets stolen from your garage, or your garage burns down with the car in it?

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you keep the car at home? You may want to make sure your home owners policy will cover any damage on the car if caused by a natural disaster like a tornado, etc. or by structural damage on the house.

State Farm told me that there home owners policies will not cover any thing with a motor unless it is to service the property.

Dan

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have State Farm..... when in storage, mine is only like $20/mo....this covers fire and theaft.

That's what I do also. And because I insure a few cars through them they allow me to turn the policy Off/On full coverage on my Viper as I please. So if by chance I can get home during the year and the weather is nice, I just turn it on for the few days I am home. Then it's back to storage, until I am back for the summer when it's Always on full coverage! Works for me :laugh:

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a Bad idea and one you may live to regret. I have a friend who got to watch his classic car burn inside their house. He said all he could do was stand there and listen to the glass pop out from the windows. NO INSURANCE. That only added to his misery.

I have exotic car insurance through American National Property and Casualty (ANPAC). $600 per year. The car must be in a locked garage when not in use (unless I am out in it) and I can't put over 7,600 miles per year.

Re-think your decision.

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys bring up some good points. I am not worried about theft at my home, fire might be another story. Theft while on the trailer on the road to an event is a possibility. I will checkout the insurance companies you mention and see if there is a limited policy that will cover theft and fire - just not track time. Thanks for your input.

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS is $449.40 for 6 months, full coverage, no mileage limits, If I wanted just fire and theft when stored it is about $75.00 for 6 months. That is with $100K/$300K and $200 deductible. Company is Nationwide. Age 47 about 15 vehicles insured.

The guy that asked about his homeowner covering the vehicle needs to talk to his agent, it probably won't cover anything that happens to the car, he should get a minimal fire/theft policy for peace of mind!

PS I don't sell insurance!

Regards!
Sam Goldfarb
Ohio VCA Secretary

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We kept comprehensive on the race car since it started as a 1998 Viper with a VIN. It's about $300/year and will cover it to and from events, from theft and fire. It was worth the piece of mind. We have no liability or collision so the policy is pretty cheap.

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Janni, that is what I am going to check into today. The counsel of many can produce good results.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know it varies between carriers but my home owners insurance covers any damage to the car while it's in the garage as a result of natural disaster, fire, etc. I don't think it covers it though if it's stolen out of the garage but it does cover anything in the car that is stolen.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These threads just piss me off! $4,000/year! One damn ticket, no accidents, 25! :confused: :mad:

Shop around. I'm in Fort Worth and have State Farm. I pay about $1200 a year for full coverage, I've had 3 tickets and totaled my motorcycle, not my fault. Granted Dallas is probably going to have a slightly higher rate but you should be able to find something less then what you're paying now.

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Carrot,

Sorry about such high insurance. I guess age does have a few advantages. I have been with Metropolitan for 13 years, and their rate for the '99 GTS full coverage is $489 per six months, or $978 per year.

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with my ins. rep, and the cost for non-collision coverage is $298.00/year. This covers the car against theft, fire, tornado, etc.... whether it is on the trailer in another state or in my warehouse. I need to check with the Texas DMV to see if I have to turn in my plates. I do want to take the car to VOI8 in Dallas later this year, so I can reinstate insurance for that week.

BTW, I insured the Sloan Kwik-Load trailer for $40/year.

Now, on which new mod do I need to spend my savings? Ha Ha

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only need minimum liability for plates. Comp for fire & theft.

Collision is what costs money. (if you have a wreck that is your fault)

Full coverage is all three components.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These threads just piss me off! $4,000/year! One damn ticket, no accidents, 25! :confused: :mad:

OUCH! I don't mean to rub salt into your financial wound, but I pay $634 per year for full coverage through Farm Bureau. I'm 57 - sometimes age has its advantages.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Carrot,

Sorry about such high insurance. I guess age does have a few advantages. I have been with Metropolitan for 13 years, and their rate for the '99 GTS full coverage is $489 per six months, or $978 per year.

Hell, I even "garage" the car in Yantis! Not much to run into out there!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wesleyCrowbar