got a ticket in cali higways over 100 ph

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got a speeding ticket on california highway,wrote down 117 mph.got to drive home with my car,what happens now?anyon ehere been in the same position.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got clocked over 130 on a motorcycle on Hwy 5 southbound near Camp Pendleton (between L.A and San Diego) back in 1991; an extremely short speed burst in less than 2 miles with no traffic and no exits/etc on a 8 or 10 late interstate - the bike is capable of a measured 175mph and 130 is trivial in fourth gear of six. Probably because I only did it for a few seconds, he actually wrote it as 74 in a 55, which allowed me to take traffic school.

However, does your ticket really say 117mph? I would therefore assume thats a mandatory court appearance - anything over 20 mph over the limit was, last time I checked (corrections welcome) - it should say what you have to do.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did you get to be on TV?
:cool: Nope, I'm happy to say, or I'm sure the ticket and arrest would have been more significant. The only reason I was spotted at all was due to my unfamiliarity with the CHP vehicles since I'd been in the state less than two weeks, and didn't know the difference in hazard light configurations between Texas DPS and CHP (CHPs just use the stock flashers - most other states use alternating hazards).

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got a speeding ticket on california highway,wrote down 117 mph.got to drive home with my car,what happens now?anyon ehere been in the same position.

Are you in good shape? If not, you will be soon. REI has some nice bicyclists backpacks and headlights. Otherwise if you've got plenty of money for a really good attorney you might actually be able to keep your license.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My daughter got a ticket for 115+ about a month after she first got her license.

First was only a $90 fine, but after a while DMV sent her a letter suspending her license for 6 months.

The Vehicle code for 100+ is different than for anything below 100. Your insurance company doesn't see how fast you were going, only the vehicle code you violated.

Some counties (Orange County for one) allow a 'second level' driving school, that is intended for people who have already done driving school within the last 18 months.

If I were you I would go to court, and try to exchange second level driving school for a reduction to 99mph, that way your license and insurance won't be jeopardized.

Hope this helps,
Mike Dolan

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, does your ticket really say 117mph? I would therefore assume thats a mandatory court appearance - anything over 20 mph over the limit was, last time I checked (corrections welcome) - it should say what you have to do.

I believe most states require court for 30mph+, not 20mph. But unless it was a 90mph zone, you still need an attorney

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do your homework on getting the right attorney, because getting a bad one can be worse than not getting one at all. I know because that's what happened to me last summer. If anyone ever saw the movie "My Cousin Vinny", and remembers the stuttering public defender, well, take away the stuttering, and that was my lawyer. I got bagged in my daily driver for doing 70 in a 40 while passing a tractor trailer on a two lane road (passing zone, and the tractor trailer was going below the speed limit). I was definitely innocent, and provided my lawyer with all kinds of documentation, including pictures of the location, but he completely screwed up my defense, and I got points and a stiff fine.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In January an automobile journalist was spotted at 140mph Monday morning at 5AM while going to work with an SRT-8 Charger that Dodge provided him. He arrived late and got a citation. His defense: Since all tracks are closed in Canada during winter the only way for him to do his evalution work was to ride the Charger on the highway in early morning. He was testing the car on an empty hwy. We never heared back of this case and since all SRT-8 were sold in my area ...

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daughter got a ticket for 115+ about a month after she first got her license.

First was only a $90 fine, but after a while DMV sent her a letter suspending her license for 6 months.

The Vehicle code for 100+ is different than for anything below 100. Your insurance company doesn't see how fast you were going, only the vehicle code you violated.

Some counties (Orange County for one) allow a 'second level' driving school, that is intended for people who have already done driving school within the last 18 months.

If I were you I would go to court, and try to exchange second level driving school for a reduction to 99mph, that way your license and insurance won't be jeopardized.

Hope this helps,
Mike Dolan

The judge must have really liked your daughter, because that ticket is NOT a ninety dollar fine!

OP
OP
A

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cop actually wrote down 117mph under speeding exceeding over 100 mph but no reckless was cited also he marked down infraction on box instead of misedeameanor,ill have to wait till i get the ticket in mail but i do have an attorney that i will contact.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pay an attorney and get out of it all together

i got a 120mph+speeding ticket and wreckless driving in KY, cops held me at gunpoint and wanted to impound the cars. (I was with my b/f at the time). We paid an attorney $1K and the whole thing was taken care of-no points, nothing.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i got a 120mph+speeding ticket and wreckless driving in KY, cops held me at gunpoint and wanted to impound the cars. (I was with my b/f at the time). We paid an attorney $1K and the whole thing was taken care of-no points, nothing.

Gunpoint?? What a flipping joke :rolleyes: Sounds like you had a bunch of drama queens who were prob hocked up on coffee and doughnuts pull you over!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, brings up a new subject on this website....

Anyone else get held at gunpoint or was it just Leslie? She admitted she was driving. Anyone else?

OP
OP
A

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys for all your relplys,im getting an attorney,i was heading out this morning wih my lambo and i saw a chippy hiding on the side of the road and infront was a offical police flat bed waiting to impound cars,i was a good boy on the freeways today

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime I hear of big speeding tickets, I like to mention that if you intend to speed 30mph over the speed limit, then do it in short bursts and never sustained. Sustained high speed runs are like playing Russian roulette with your driving record. Most states have very aggressive laws for speeds 30+mph in excess of the speed limit and some even label it as a criminal offense. And if there is an accident involved, expect jail time or worse. It's not worth it. :nono:

Adamlotus, I'm guessing a court appearance is mandatory. Find out what the charges are and the penalties. Then make a decision based on that. Most likely there will be some sort of license suspension or community service. Criminal seems unlikely in your case since they didn't impound the car. And then figure out if you need the lawyer.

On the court date, get there early and ask the prosecutor before the case about what plea deals are available. If you have a clean record, make your case with him. All this happens before you see a judge.

Good luck and keep us posted whether you lose or lose badly. :bonker:

Reaction score
For at least the last 4 years, a ticket in CA over 100 mph can be a jailable offense. My son got caught for 125 outside Coalinga on the I-5 (middle of nowhere). No jail, but $2k in legal fees got it reduced to a $1500 fine and 3 months revoked license (instead of 6). Of course his insurance was jacked up to uncomfortable levels for 3 years.

Just don't get caught or take it to the track.

:p

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow. That is pretty lucky!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what any legal defence will be able to do anything for you in Cali. The ticket is a 2 pointer and is a serious offence according to our DMV and especialy to your insurance company. This is the type of citation that doubles your insurance rates if not more.

Several years ago I got a similar ticket, spent about 3k on an attorney who came highly recomended by many. When the case started I quickly realized that the liar, was about as worthless as the cop who gave me the ticket. All he ever managed to get done was 3k out of my pocket, and the ticket still stayed a 2 pointer and a nice $1500.00 fine. Not to mention all the cool insurance rate hikes, you get.

Go to courty try to argue it, and see if the cop shows up. Keep asking for an extension, even at the point of coughing up a lung(according to your doctors note). Your goal is to make the cop not show up to court, at the end if he shows up you can try to argue the case and say you were not going that fast and hope the judge believes you.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Take it to the track.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate Kali, I can't wait for the big one to hit and all the libs fall into the ocean :laugh:
I'll be the last to defend the People's Republic of Kalifornia, but you just sound jealous of the weather. Neener. :cool:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in people speak,

1st offense = $500 max + 1month suspension,
2nd offense within 3 years = $750 + indefinite suspension (13355 ? )
3rd or more offense within 5 years = $1000 + indefinite suspension (13355 ? )

You know what this means: For $500 and 1 month suspension, you can legally find out the maximum speed of your Viper in Kalifornia. :2tu: It's actually not a bad deal for a progressive state especially considering the odds. I think Bonneville costs more. :D

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AviP your new name is.......... "The Optimist" and I do agree w/ u.

OP
OP
A

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well found out my ticket is $1800 plus attorney fees.i have only 1 point on my record.i will keep you all informed.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my fiance got a 110 in a 65. 500$ fine. its on her record for 7 years. insurance is nasty.

I purposely travel at 99.25 MPH everywhere with a radar detector on. 100+ only short bursts.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a 3rd option to the first two, but I put them in this order: 1. Take it to the track, 2., don't get caught, or 3. get caught by a lawman like the deputy who caught me doing 80+ this week and let me go if I'd let him look inside. ( I was more than Happy to let him look inside AND under the hood. Heck, he could've checked my glove box for that deal!) Now: get the lawyer,and don't try to be your own lawyer. I oughta know: I've been one for 35 years and have seen and heard horror stories by people trying to represent themselves while confessing at the same time....