Got pulled over...front license plate thing!

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm cruisin along Sat. morning around town and I see a cop coming ahead of me. I check my speedo and I'm only going 38 in a 35. He passes me and I look in my rear-view mirror and see him pull a U-turn and come up behind me. I guess he was bored. Pulls me over and comes up..asks for drivers license and insurance..which I gladly hand over. He said the reason he pulled me over was because I don't have a front license plate. (I've had the car for over 2 years..so I guess it's about time I get pulled over for that.) I explain that Dodge doesn't make a license plate frame for the front cause it interferes with the air flow to the oil cooler. I told him I did have a suction cup frame, but it fell off and I lost it. ;) I told him to check with the computer and he'll see that I reported it a year ago. He goes back and checks...comes back and says that my story is true and that I should get a new plate when my plates come due again cause technically I could still get a ticket. And get this...he appologizes for the inconvenience!!! Moral to the story..if you "lose" your plate...report it to the police. Nuf said!! :2tu:

99BLKRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Report it to the Police"

What does this mean? Do I call 911 emergency and say, "Help! My front plate fell off!"

No, but seriously. How did you report it to the police? I live in TX and I know that the state troopers are notorious for pulling vehicles over for no front plate.

OP
OP

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Report it to the Police"

What does this mean? Do I call 911 emergency and say, "Help! My front plate fell off!"

No, but seriously. How did you report it to the police? I live in TX and I know that the state troopers are notorious for pulling vehicles over for no front plate.
Just call the main police line...not 911. Tell them you need to report a lost front plate..they'll connect you to the right department...ask you a few questions..and then enter it in their computer! Then about a month before the plates are due to re-new..call them and tell them a neighbor found it :D so you don't have to buy new ones. Then,after it's re-newed...you lose it again!! :2tu:

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just carry mine under the passanger seat. When I get pulled over I just show them the plate and state it keeps falling off.

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just carry mine under the passanger seat. When I get pulled over I just show them the plate and state it keeps falling off.

The only time I ever got pulled over was this New Year's Day on my way home from a friend's house...
Told the cop about the plate-still got the ticket.It just depends who you run into and for the most part they don't have much tolerance for Vipers.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Front license plate? What's that all about?
It's an American thing that a lot of states do here when they need more income from their residents. Why sell you one plate when they can make you buy two of them. Stupid huh?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So glad my state requires only one tag. Our state's plate would ruin the looks of my car, what w/it's smiley face and all.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done this several times in CO. Same story... "I tried the suction cup thing, but it falls off. Dodge doesn't make a front plate for this specialized vehicle." No tickets yet *knock on wood*.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sooo much easier to just live in or have your car registered in a state that doesn't require a front plate ;)

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got pulled over one morning because the young policeman thought I had deliberately covered the headlights on my '68 Camaro RS convertible. I guess they felt stupid when I turned on the headlights.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia front plates are keyed to the red light camera program. A camera snaps a pic of your license plate if you enter an intersection after the light turns red. Arguably, detering red light running is a good thing and our state needs the revenue. :D
I put the front plate on and noticed no difference in cooling. I'm not crazy about the looks but I can live with it.