Got rear-ended by a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon......

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And there is almost no damage!!!:omg:

He was doing maybe 20 mph and pushed the car 15 feet from a stop. I pulled over to a side street, expecting the worst, and could hardly see anything at all.
Lucky for me and him, he had one of those aftermarket 3 inch round tube bumpers, which spread out the force over pretty well the whole bumper.

So my question to all you guys in the know is this:

There is a rub mark pretty well from one emblem to the other, on the back bumper cover, with paint still underneath, what is the best way to get this buffed out without having to get paint work? Guaranteed if I get it resprayed it will come out brighter than the rest of the car. The car is Stone White BTW.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it will buff out, take it to an experienced paint/detail shop (since the other guy's insurance should be paying anyway). If it has to be painted, Stone White is not very difficult to match as this color was originally mastered by Azko Nobel paints (I had a '08 hood painted for my Commemorative and it matched up perfectly). Just make sure the paint shop uses the correct paint code (SW1 or PW1) is used. Take the car to a body shop for an assessment just to make sure you have no serious damage. It may look ok on the outside but.........

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the mark is above your paint, you can try a gum eraser or claybar. If used properly, neither will hurt your paint and you might be able to save yourself a lot of time/money going to a body shop.

Post pics, upclose pics.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do yourself one other favor and check under your carpeting to make sure your tub was not damaged. Seen this before and owner found out later that it had done more damage than the bumper initially showed. Likely not the case, but you sure want to find out the full situation now and not later if anything else is amiss.

Best of luck.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do yourself one other favor and check under your carpeting to make sure your tub was not damaged. Seen this before and owner found out later that it had done more damage than the bumper initially showed. Likely not the case, but you sure want to find out the full situation now and not later if anything else is amiss.

Best of luck.

+1 Just because u don't see the damage.... doesn't mean its not there.

People are just dumb. I love how when you drive your Viper some retard thinks he can tail gate you going 50 mph+ in a 5 ton SUV and stop just fine without hitting you.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thing i noticed alot is when you gun it, the clown behind you in the ford ranger will also gun it like a dork and b right on your ass when you go to brake, total dumasses out there

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself one other favor and check under your carpeting to make sure your tub was not damaged. Seen this before and owner found out later that it had done more damage than the bumper initially showed.
exactly. And don't they have some kind of support structure just behind the bumper? or is that only in the front?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEhind the urethane rear bumper cover is some black hard styro foam that is loosely attached to the rear composite tub, strong but brittle.

I used to have a JAG XJS that had a rear set of orange fog lights with a switch on the dash, when ever I had a tail gater in that car I just hit the switch and the gas at the same time, never seen a car disappear in your rear view mirrors like they did when hit with that combo

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Steve beat me to it - there is Styrofoam between the bumper and the bumper cover. If he hit you at 20 mph this has to be crunched. I think the only way to inspect this is to remove the entire bumper cover. Good luck.

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and At Least have the Rubicon's Insurance Company pay to have your rear bumper cover removed (at a Collision Center of YOUR choice) for inspection of your Rear Absorber, Bumper Reinforcement and the Frame Rails where th Reinforcement attaches. It'll be much better to have this done now, rather than have someone else discover hidden damage in the future should you decide to sell or trade.
I have seen this MANY times in my career, what appears to be nothing other than a scuffed/scratched Bumper Cover actually turns out to be substantial damage not seen until the Cover is removed.
Me, I'd be hollering for a new Bumper Cover and Emblems, right off the bat..

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and concern guys. I'll ask to have the crash structure checked.

We surely hope so. There is no way on earth you would get rear ended and then assume everything is ok - especially in a Viper. You should be or already should have called the guy's insurance company. Better yet, they should have already called you!

OP
OP
D

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We surely hope so. There is no way on earth you would get rear ended and then assume everything is ok - especially in a Viper. You should be or already should have called the guy's insurance company. Better yet, they should have already called you!

Just trying to do him a favor. He was a young guy, and I'm sure his insurance is high as it is. You know, what goes around comes around. I've had paople let me pay for dumb things I've done. The insurance company will always get that little bit back out of you in spades......

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same story with me, except I got "rolled" onto by a Honda Accord at like 2 mph. Here is what that foam and crash structure look like when I checked for damage. Removing the bumper is a bit involved, but not difficult by any means. The wheels and wells need to be removed, but I put the wheels back on just for the picture. I enjoy the view of those steam rollers :)

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just remember the nice guy finishes last.......................... and last *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang