Green or Red EBCs???!?!?

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been shopping around for EBC brake pads for my car as well as some of my friend's cars. One guy told me not to put greens on the viper and Z06 but to go with the reds. Are the reds free of dust like the greens? Any concerns with reds for street use? My main objective is the dust reduction/elimination.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen, since you say that dust reduction/elimination is your primary goal, DEFINITELY go with the Greens. You'll be happy with all the other benefits too.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King's "the man" regarding the EBC's. I've got the green and have been very pleased with the results!!.....Kurt

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the greens last weekend. It seemed to me that my stopping actually decreased slightly, but I'm told it should improve once the pads get seated. The thing that makes it all worth while for me is the fact that brake dust is almost non existant. I can't believe that Dodge would even think about installing pads that turn the wheels black within 100 miles.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
Do NOT get the reds, they will not stop you on the street, they take too long to heat.

Signed, the voice of experience.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that.

I put reds on my RT/10 because I wanted to be ready for an occasional autoX and didn't think it would be a big deal on the street. Wrong. I never autoX and the "heating up" issue is definitely noticeable.

Good soup.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Greens on the front and Reds at the back. The plan is to then switch the fronts over to Yellows for track events and leave the Reds on the back.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And just where do you buy these ebc's green that is Ihate that brake dust just from a trip to the store and back.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I got mine from Mr. Wing King (look higher in the thread) at www.greatbrakes.com I drove a Viper with the greens on Saturday. Quiet and they bite better than stock pads in street use. Gotta get mine installed this week and get rid of that dust.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GONABITE:
And just where do you buy these ebc's green that is Ihate that brake dust just from a trip to the store and back.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWoodbury:
I run Greens on the front and Reds at the back. The plan is to then switch the fronts over to Yellows for track events and leave the Reds on the back.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think if reds are bad for the front wheels on a street driven car putting reds on the rear is much worse due to much less heat buildup. Since braking on a Viper is about 80% front and 20% rear I wonder if the rear brakes get hot enough on the street using reds to have an effective rear brake?

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the best "brief" advice I can give regarding selection of brake pads.......

Everyone's braking style is different. And tracks are different. I don't recommend that anyone ever select a pad just because someone else uses it. As for the EBC's, Viper Days Super Stock Champion Tom Glenn has won a BUNCH with Yellow fronts and ONLY Green rears. But then, we also have some really fast guys using and NEEDING Blue fronts and Yellow rears. You're going to find this same situation with other brands as well. If you're not sure, always err to having MORE than you might really need.

As far as keeping the EBC Reds on the back and then just swapping out the fronts, that sounds like a reasonably creative way to handle a street/track situation, and just swap out the fronts. Again, it depends on your driving style. Also, everyone creates their own opinions, but no one should be afraid to run the EBC Reds on the street (that's per EBC). While the Red friction coeffcient is no where near the Greens, it is still virtually identical to a stock Viper pad. In fact, only the EBC Blue range generally requires an early pedal tap on the track to heat them up. Don't even THINK about running THOSE on the street, where cold pad panic stops are always a possibility.

Whatever the brand of pad, or even system, there is no easy shortcut to finding YOUR optimal pad solution. It will simply take some testing and time to learn what seems to work best for YOU.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experince with EBC Reds is, they are fine for the rear on the streets, if you use the Reds in the front on the street BE VEEEERY AFRAID. They DO NOT stop you at low speeds, you must mash the brake pedal at low speeds to get the car to stop, in an emergency situation you are SOL!!!!

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the big brake kit from Dilusi (www.dilusimotorsports.com). I run the green pads (all 4 corners) when on the street and they work great with little dust. On the track, I run yellows on all 4 corners. I've been very happy with the EBC pads. You do not want to run the yellows on the street, as they require too much heat to be effective.

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i have reds on all four corner? i have yet to use the car on the street, but you guys are starting to freak me out! the last thing i want to do it loose my brakes!

Randy
[email protected]

S

SUN RA KAT

I've got EBC Greens all around and the original brake pads with only 2 miles on them in a box gathering real dust, not brake dust. I was wondering if I can just switch the Greens in front with the stock pads or if I should switch all 4 corners to the stock pads for going to Viper Days Very Beginner Driver Training in the spring?

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done the green on my viper & my BMW. It is one of the best things I've ever done to a car - virtually no brake dust at all, an amazing difference.

On the viper I found that when doing SCCA autox events I was locking up once or twice per run with the originals, but have a better feel with the greens on, not locking the wheels up without expecting - they just give me a better sense or feel for where I am on the brakes.

I'll put greens on anything I drive, once my 03 Cobra gets here (if it ever comes!) I'll be switching those puppies as well.

Dave.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also got greens on the front and reds on the back, and the braking has been fine. The dust reduction (and lack of squeaking) has been great!

-Dean.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the greens. I also tried the reds and even with ABS they were awful on the street and there are much better pads for the track.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Sun Ra,

Go with stocks all the way around for Viper Days. The greens are great for the street, but they just aren't a track pad.

WingKing, answered alot of questions, and he is absolutely correct, that drivers have different requirements. I had good luck with Blues on the front and Yellows on the rear when I ran EBCs on my 98. Class answer Mr. Hitz,and he sells a nice slotted rotor too!

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reds on the front, greens on the back. A couple of really heavy brake applications in a row will see greens on the front fade out. I use the red fronts and don't find the dust that much worse than the greens. Having said all that I'm going to change to stoptech brakes this winter !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang