GT3-R

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck I have paddles on my Mini Cooper S @$33,000 (includes tax )...... I agree paddles dumb down the driving experience and take all the fun/ skillout of really driving a car however, for a $140k car not to have them as a option is silly in today's high end market...

I love paddle shifters.
Had two Vettes and four Vipers all manuals and now paddles in my Gallardo and feel just as "connected" to the car.
With paddles you are in complete control of the transmission, just not moving your left foot.
This supposed disconnect from the car because there is no actual clutch is nonsense.
Lightning fast.

If the Gen IV had them, would have cut seconds off the 'Ring time.

This post is intended to clear up some common misconceptions. All flappy paddles are not created equal. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a huge disparity between the various "paddle" transmissions. If the "paddles" in a performance car don't significantly shave off acceleration numbers they aren't the real deal. Nearly all cars out now offer paddles with their automatic transmissions, but at the end of the day it is still an automatic transmission with the huge loss in RWHP/AWHP. The paddles in the vette are not the real deal from my understanding nor are the paddles in the Mini. They are no different than the previous "manual" shifting for your auto trans where you used the stick to shift up and down. The paddle transmission the Viper would need is the same as the Lamborghini and Ferrari have. My terminology may be off but I understand the concepts. I believe they're called automated-manuals. Basically a manual transmission without an manual clutch. No wheel horsepower loss and lighting quick shifts. These are very expensive.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wont claim to have any idea what I am talking about when the topic is these GT3 cars or the like, but from what I read the Audi R8 GT3 was $350ish back in 2008. 5 years later its the Audi R8 LMS. The articles I found (in my 60 seconds of looking) stated the 2011/12/13 R8 LMS was 329k euros, or $440 back then Current exchange rate would put 329 Euro @ $469k.

Either way I am sure SRT knows exactly what they are doing with the pricing and who its marketed at. Unfortunately my wallet tells me it's not me.

deleted.....

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is intended to clear up some common misconceptions. All flappy paddles are not created equal. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a huge disparity between the various "paddle" transmissions. If the "paddles" in a performance car don't significantly shave off acceleration numbers they aren't the real deal. Nearly all cars out now offer paddles with their automatic transmissions, but at the end of the day it is still an automatic transmission with the huge loss in RWHP/AWHP. The paddles in the vette are not the real deal from my understanding nor are the paddles in the Mini. They are no different than the previous "manual" shifting for your auto trans where you used the stick to shift up and down. The paddle transmission the Viper would need is the same as the Lamborghini and Ferrari have. My terminology may be off but I understand the concepts. I believe they're called automated-manuals. Basically a manual transmission without an manual clutch. No wheel horsepower loss and lighting quick shifts. These are very expensive.

One would assume if they are going to build an ACR with paddles built for all out track performance they are going to use a high quality system like Lamborghini or Ferrari uses.
And that will of course add to the cost. The shifts are measured in milli-seconds, you can't do that.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went back and read the article again, the 2009 R8 LMS was $350k (it does not specify euros or not). My point was that this car can outperform the Viper version for similar or less cost, even though it has more costly individual bits compared to the viper (I'm sure a Lambo V-10 costs more to make than the Viper V-10 for example). SRT might know how to price with the NEW clients they are marketing at, but they have left some of us who have owned multiple Vipers behind (like myself).

How are you so sure that the 2756lb, 500hp '09 LMS will outperform the '13 Viper GT3? Just curious.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT-3 doesn't have the rear mounted gearbox.

Please check the published specs for the GT-3 by SRT. The GT-3 comes with the same Xtrac 6-speed paddle shift rear mounted trans as the GTS-R.

Second, not all paddle shifted trans are created equal. The basic difference is between the location of the trans and the trans type. With out getting into a lot alphabet soup, the trans can be front mounted, rear mounted in front the the rear diff, be integral with the diff or mounted behind the diff. The trans itself can be a manually shifted auto, ala the Corvette whose auto trans is mounted in front of the diff, or a part of a auto shifted manual. Both types can have paddle actuation.:2tu:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For paddle tranmissions you want: (1) dual-clutch transmission (this (+ design + location + software) is what makes it faster than a manual); and (2) auto mode was well as manual mode, and various settings. Lambo Aventador uses a single clutch paddle shift and it has not been well received.

If the Gen ___ ACR is $150k--$160k before taxes, I fear that will be the end of the line; just not the place for the Viper. Sure a small number will sell, but would that be the goal? Still very disappointing that the Gen V Coupe was not a 700hp Volado-based design. People would hide when it came down the street!

It is a great time for cars and I am very interested to see what comes next!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all know who the competition is, the Porsche factory built 911 GT3 Cup retailing for about $235k. Then there is the P&M built Vette C6.R. I have heard of used C6.R's going for $650k. That was a while ago. The P&M C6RS (street legal T-56 equipped version of C6.R...kinda) sold for around $350k. The GT3-R is in the middle of these...better than a GT3 Cup and not as 'race ready' as a C6.R.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm hoping a lot of racers buy these new so I can scoop a deal on a used one in a few years. :)

I'd much rather be racing a Viper than a Porsche. A GT3 R8 sounds fun to drive though as well, AWD and hammer down with confidence!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per SRT ad....United SportsCar Series GT Daytona, Pirelli World Challenge GT class, NARRA, SCCA and other GT categories.

I'm sure that the guys running CC at Daytona would rather have one of these in their garage next year. We might see one (or two) at NARRA next year, maybe even SCCA. I would love to see a couple of them in the Daytona 24h race. ;)

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Besides improving acceleration times, sequential trannies allow you to downshift faster and later, which I find reduces time spent in corner entry and set up (transfer of weight) for corner exit. Paddle shifters further reduce this time by allowing you to keep both hands on the wheel while downshifting and entering the corner. You can even trail brake and downshift at the same time once you get used to a sequential with paddles.

Another benefit is its very hard to miss an up or downshift with a sequential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang