GTS finally has a stablemate!

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After an exhausting search, finally found a nice Gen1. 1 owner, 1500 miles, completely stock, and in impeccable condition other than the 'fuzzy' dash.
98671024.jpg

Also just put the lift up in time for winter storage of the two snakes. Went with the Bendpak HD-9ST. Wish I had more room for a wider lift. Wheels come awfully close to the crossmember supports.
9867lift1.jpg

LIFE IS GOOD!
9867all_three1.jpg

Reaction score
Wish I had more room for a wider lift. Wheels come awfully close to the crossmember supports.

Might I suggest a TALL mirror at the front, on the driver side? I have one hanging on the wall in front of my lift and it make it DEAD EASY to roll on without any fear of spotting the car in the wrong place. As long as I can see the driver side tires hitting their marks...I know the other side is right on!

Just an idea....it looks like those crossmember supports would be very close to the wheels.

Looks great!

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes...very nice indeed! Nice Gen 1's seem to be getting a bit more difficult to get your hands on these days.

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the compliments. I want to thank Big-n-Italian for his help putting the lift together. (and you thought he was only good with avatars)! ;)

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the compliments. I want to thank Big-n-Italian for his help putting the lift together. (and you thought he was only good with avatars)! ;)

you are welcome jeff!

it sure was interesting wasnt it?! ;)

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, nice find. Very sweet looking Gen I. I almost forgot how a beaitiful clean stock Gen I looks. I love it.

:nana:

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, now let me ask you about your lift. I have the same one. Aren't those steel ramps a pain in the a*s to take on and off? Heavy and annoying. I was thinking of how to maybe hinge them on and off. Have you thought about this at all?

I was thinking of just cutting the flaps off that overlap on the runways and plan on the bar and the side steel hitting the floor to carry the weight. Then once the car is up, you can just flip the ramps up and out of the way. there is plenty of room in front once the car is all the way back.

Also, I notice you didn't bolt down your posts. You never got just a little nervous when the car is up and seeing the way that thing can sway ?

Andrew

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on. I just read the post - quote above. You mean that is the standard width lift ????You only have about a 1/4" clearance. I ran into the same problem and switched out the cross members for the extra wide.

You have more than enough room.

AC

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice, now let me ask you about your lift. I have the same one. Aren't those steel ramps a pain in the a*s to take on and off? Heavy and annoying. I was thinking of how to maybe hinge them on and off. Have you thought about this at all?

I was thinking of just cutting the flaps off that overlap on the runways and plan on the bar and the side steel hitting the floor to carry the weight. Then once the car is up, you can just flip the ramps up and out of the way. there is plenty of room in front once the car is all the way back.

Also, I notice you didn't bolt down your posts. You never got just a little nervous when the car is up and seeing the way that thing can sway ?
The ramps are heavy, but I won't be using this car much so it'll spend most of it's time on the lift.
I am bolting the lift down tomorrow, and yes, it does sway to some degree when freestanding.
As for the narrow width, I had to go with this due to the small stall. If I get the extra wide, the lift will no longer be centered with the stall. It will be pushed over to the right which would cause right side clearance issues and the ramp would not be able to be extended on the right side. Believe me, I've thought of everything and I'm just squeaking by with this narrow lift. I'm thinking above grinding down the crossmember supports by an inch or two to free up space. I'm just not sure if this will compromise the structural integrity of the lift or not. I was gonna call bendpak and ask them but what do you think they will say? Not sure what I'll do at this time.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Humm, I'm going to double check mine when I get home, but it looks like you have at least a few inches to that wall on the left side, and obviously plenty of room on the other side. If you are looking at the garage, mine is also offset to the right.

When my lift goes down, I have near no clearance on the right side where my ramp shoots out towards the molding on the garage door, but it does clear. All it has to do is clear it. On the left side, my ramp has a few inches clearance, all obviously because of the offset. Bottom line is when my car is up, my wheels are well on the ramps. No tire hanging off the side as you might think .

I also was going to cut off some from the cross tube supports and I got nervous I would weaken the support. I called Bend Pak and forget it. They don't even want to hear that you might cut anything.

They switched out my cross tubes to the wider ones, sent me the new cables and all I needed to do the job NO CHARGE! All I had to pay for was shipping and send all the other stuff back. What a pleasure it is now to put the cars up and down.

When I get home I'll try to take some pics. Hold off before you sut those supports.

Andrew

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you got er all working jeff?! :2tu:

What about my icon fix? Are you going to get that all working avatar man? I sent you an email with a photo to your listed email addy. Did I do something wrong ?

dont get your ******* in a bunch! :D

i will be working on your avatar and a few others this weekend. :2tu:

LOL, besides, YOU just emailed me YESTERDAY!! :rolleyes:
You must be registered for see images

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay, jdoc7, I have some pics you might want to check out. I have not had luck putting them on this thread, so I am linking you to my site. Click on: http://www.trishare.com/pictures1/

Check out the pics named Garage Lift pics 1-10.

As you can see, nobody has more things jammed into a garage than me, and my fit is tight, and my lift is offset, but you'll see that the Viper fits on very easy with plenty of room and tires centered on the runways.
Hope this is helpful. Feel free to post these pics on this site if helpful to anyone else.

Andrew

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet... a '93 antenna car!

In the future.... people will be calling these "'92 carryover cars" to make them worth more :)

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the future.... people will be calling these "'92 carryover cars" to make them worth more
I'm already calling it a carryover! Would you like to buy it? ;) :D

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. By the way, I just got finished cutting off the flaps on top of my ramps. Now I can leave the ramps on and flip them up vertical. They stay there with a heavy duty bungee cord. Sure beats yanking out those rods and lifting those ramps in and out of place everytime I want to put a car underneath. Used a saws-all and a grinder. I have to keep a carefully measured thickness board handy to put under the part of the ramp closest to the cross bar cause when the lift is all the way down and the ramp is flipped over to the floor, there is a space under the ramp that I didn't want to depend on the strength of the rod to hold the weight of the car.

Little hint for when you bolt down. Send a car up and down a few times to let the post find it's own spot. You don't want those things binding up, and you don't want to be re-drilling holes into the floor.

Two Vipers look great. Good luck.

Andrew

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew! Glad you figured out a way to address the heavy ramps. I plan on welding a hook or drilling a hole in the front side edge of the ramps and then chaining or bungeeing them to the crossmember supports at the sides. This way, I can retain the flap (no cutting), when I want to put a car under, I just lift the ramps and hook them to the crossmember support then unhook when the car is under and let them hang. I have'nt done it yet but it should work. I wonder if anyone with the cheaper Complete Hydraulics lift that was part of a group buy, have the same side clearance issues with the standard lift? Why oh why did they have to make the crossmember supports so wide that they almost touch the outer edge of the ramps? Oh well, it's all up and running, I have two inch clearance from each outer rear wheel now. All that's left is anchoring and to mess with the ramps which I may not even do this year. The RT will not be driven much and will be up top so taking off the ramps when I do decide to drive the RT is no big deal. Thanks again for your input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi