Hardtop that fits in the trunk! Pics..

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermania. They are modified to fit the top.

Jeff

By "modified" windows, in what way are they modified? I would hate to destroy a set of $1,000. windows trying to "modify" them. :(

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that's okay. I just thought about a friend who has an Opel Speedster... It always takes him almost hours to put the tops on the car... I think sometimes it stops raining even before he's finished...
You must be registered for see images

I know it's almost impossible to get the hardtop alone on the car.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dennis, I know that feeling and that's exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Rollin4,

"Destroyed" is far from what happens. When I first opened the package for my Vmania windows my heart sank at the thought of cutting such a beautiful/expensive piece. The reality is, the top would look stupid if I retained the added 2" of height at the rear. The modification is the removal of material starting from the original dimension at the front, then cutting a strait line to about 2" below the original dimension at the rear.

Fortunately, the modification is quite easy for me to do and can be done quickly and they still look great! If your concern is that these windows will no longer seal against any other top, you are correct. If you want to keep your soft top or a solid hardtop, you'll need a separate set of windows for those.

Sorry about that, it falls in with the styling I insisted upon.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This center section shot may make it a bit more clear as to how this works. Notice the three guide pins to accept the next panel. The panels are secured as one via draw latches.

You must be registered for see images

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dennis, I know that feeling and that's exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Rollin4,

"Destroyed" is far from what happens. When I first opened the package for my Vmania windows my heart sank at the thought of cutting such a beautiful/expensive piece. The reality is, the top would look stupid if I retained the added 2" of height at the rear. The modification is the removal of material starting from the original dimension at the front, then cutting a strait line to about 2" below the original dimension at the rear.

Fortunately, the modification is quite easy for me to do and can be done quickly and they still look great! If your concern is that these windows will no longer seal against any other top, you are correct. If you want to keep your soft top or a solid hardtop, you'll need a separate set of windows for those.

Sorry about that, it falls in with the styling I insisted upon.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. That explains it all. The windows are pretty thick plexiglass, if I may inquire what did you use to cut them?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are actually ground with a 2" wide Bader Grinder with a 120" belt. The top of it is then smoothed with a D/A sander.

Jeff

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fine idea!! Having had an RT/10 with hardtop it was quite dark inside. Any chance you would could one or more sections of tinted or clear material (Lexan)??

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice looking top. Now what about the door and window operation?? Do the doors open and close easily with the top on and the windows installed??

Thanks,
Lance

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HiYo,

yea, I have thought about that and it would be cool. It can be done but not any time soon. All three sections would be done if we elect to do it. Right now the concentration is on making this top the best it can be.

Lance,
Door and window operation work fantastic. My hope is that the cars are consistant enough that the measurments I take from prototype to production will yeild the same result for every car. The window passes under the top (1/4" clearance) then seals against a D weatherstrip once door is closed. Nice seal all of the way accross. I have some minor weather stripping issues that should be worked out soon but door/window/top relations are great.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone give an idea of what they would be willing to spend for a good trunk bag?

This will help to know for deciding on materials and certain protective devices.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the posts!

When I first opened the package for my Vmania windows my heart sank at the thought of cutting such a beautiful/expensive piece. The reality is, the top would look stupid if I retained the added 2" of height at the rear. The modification is the removal of material starting from the original dimension at the front, then cutting a strait line to about 2" below the original dimension at the rear.

watersnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I currently have an Autoform top that looks great, but drives me nuts with rattles I can't eliminate (mostly from the rear scissor latches). How is your top doing in the noise department?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a bit grease and thin plastic tubes on the rear latches to quiet my Autoform top. It used to squeak like a pig. Totally quiet now.
Only problem is that I really havent figured out a way to stuff it in a trunk yet....

This is a great idea!

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first run I did with the top (when the weatherstrip was fresh) it was solid and squeak free. After a week or so of being mounted on the car it began to have a rattle. I investigated to find that the weatherstrip I used for the prtotype did not have very good memory and was flatening out and allowing the rattle. Problem should be fixed by production.

Jeff