GTS or SRT10?

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a new car. With the limited use i have here in Maui, i want something i can drag race, since there is track here. I have narrowed my choices to the Viper or a Porsche 996TT. As of now, i have 2 major detractions on both cars :

The Viper=detraction=i want something that is not very noticeable. I already have the Lambo, which is hell when it comes to tourists. I get stuck for 30 minutes at gas stations while they take pics. I do like the fact that the Viper is much cheaper than the Porsche, even a new SRT compared to a used 01 996TT. Lots o bolt ons available and things i can do myself.

Porsche- deterent is price. Pluses are that it is much less noticeable, great fit and finish et. Lots of mods available also. Upsolute chip= 500.00 = 100hp.

Both cars will be cool to keep for a long time, and add to my collection. My question is, should i buy an older GTS, say an 02, or buy an SRT. Is this SRT a better car? I prefer the looks of the GTS. What model do you recommend from the Gts?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While I am very fond of Porsche (though, no longer have any), would recommend SKIPPING a 996TT and going for 2002 GTS AND 2004 SRT-10 ( shopping carefully for the Vipers will keep the combined price close to new 996TT). I personally find Viper ownership to be MORE FUN than ownership of Porsches/Ferrari's just because the Vipers are SO EASY to maintain/modify in one's own garage...thereby providing entertainment well beyond merely the driving experience. Wrenching on a new Porsche or Ferrari would be well beyond my ability (and desire)....heck, while I'm helping to spend YOUR money...get all three !!!

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol Steve wish it were so easy. Id be looking to buy a used Porsche, not new. Right now, i think a nice 01 or 02 Gts in yellow with black stripe, or red with white stripe would be alot of fun, and they would also be cool to drive for years to come.

S

sachin

Allan: I'm looking at buying a 98-00 Esprit V8 right now. Any suggestions on where to look or what to look for? How much did you pay for yours?I missed a deal on a 99 V8 tt w/ around 15 k miles that sold wholesale for $45g's.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Allan, I had to try the "two-fer"...BUT, if I had to CHOOSE from all the various Viper models produced to date, I'd pick a GTS...my own personnal favorite is a 97 blue/white...after that, I'd try for an ABS equipped GTS (01 or 02)...(please note, I'm old). I would NOT expect said GTS to out perform thr SRT-10's...as they are BADA$$ !!!!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your're better off with a GTS. The run flats on the SRT is not good for drag racing. Unless you're willing to take the risk of changing to normal tires and not carrying a spare with the SRT. Also there's a whole lot more aftermarket parts for the Gen II cars. However in the future I'm sure there will be many aftermarket choices for the Gen III as well.

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Esprit. Its 10X more fun than my 355.

Im looking to drag race this car, and i like the style of the Gts moreso than the SRT. I want to get a late model Gts, but some people are telling me to get an older one, i think 96-97. Any disadvantage with the 00-02's ACR's? I like those the best, with the mesh style rims. A red/white stripe with chrome wheels, or yellow/black w chrome wheels.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96-97's have forged pistons and therefore take mods better. The later cars have cast pistons (which several have modded nonetheless). The later cars have other features such as ABS brakes, etc.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nhra sanctioned drag strips and all the rest of them for that matter do not like convertible cars (ie: srt). if u run faster than 11.99 you are going to have to do some major mods to a srt to make it track legal. the roll cage that they will require you to install in your viper would cut the car up big time. also in my opinion the roll cage that would make the srt legal to run 9's or 10's would look ugly as hell in a srt.

as a result of this i would get a gts coupe and get a btr rollbar w/ sidebar for it like i have in my viper.

btw, allan lambo i thought you already own a porsche that wheelies out of the hole and runs like high 9's at a track in maui? i saw the vid on the site that you are a moderator on. if so do not get another porsche u already have one.

i think that the srt would make for the perfect car in maui to have as a daily driver because of the weather. just not for racing.

allan a acr's suspension is setup for road racing which i will be doing with mine. the suspesnion is not setup for drag racing and u would be far better off with a non-acr to pursue drag racing with as a result of this. i would get a fe car for drag racing. good luck!

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allanlambo:Go with the GTS for the complete package. Could you post some pictures of your awesome rides?

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I no longer have the Porsche, i got rid of it several years ago. It was a great car, loads of fun, very reliable.

The drag racing that i'll be doing here will not be anything major, not looking to be in the 9's. I will do all the bolt ons available without going to supercharger or nitrous.

I really like the look of SCR. The wheels (mesh type in particular).

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here a few pics of my SV that was recently in a magazine:

You must be registered for see images

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here a few pics of my SV that was recently in a magazine:

Awesome ride Allan!!! Good luck in getting your Viper. We will love to have you on the board/club. :2tu:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan --

Check in the Marketplace section of this Web Page for reliable Viper vendors -- most of them have catalogs or web pages.

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is a much better car, the GTS will turn more heads. I strongly suggest that you drive both before making a choice... if driving is in any way a priority, go with the SRT. If performance is a priority the SRT can be a better starting point, depending on how much modification you want to do (more R&D in the GTS currently). If you want to look outrageous wherever you go, buy the GTS.

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to look less outrageous. I want people to leave me alone. In the DIablo they follow me everywhere, ask me to pull over so they can take pics etc etc.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to look less outrageous. I want people to leave me alone. In the DIablo they follow me everywhere, ask me to pull over so they can take pics etc etc.
There you go then get the SRT-10 people will leave you alone. The GTS would be nearly as bad as your Lambo. Americans flip out over the RT/10/GTS Vipers. :D

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think im going to go with a Gts. i know it wont be as bad as driving the Lambo. There are a few places here that rent Vipers and ive seen them around, and no one gives them any trouble. i much prefer the Gts to the Srt. Now i just have to figure out what year to get. if i really like it, it will tide me over till the Srt Coupe omes out and ill get one of those. How much Nitrous can a late model 01-02 handle? About the extent of my mods ill be all bolt ons, and maybe some nitrous. It more important to me to have a very nice, clean car. No matter what i do to it, it will be one of the fastest streetcars on Maui, even in stock form. Good thing is, i own the the other 2.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan, if you want ABS, get an 01 or 02. If you plan extensive mods, e.g., supercharger, consider a 96-99, since they have forged pistons. Various differences to consider:
96-97: most aggressive cam
98 benefits over 96-97: alarm override, lighter exhaust manifolds, better fan in late 98s
99 benefits over 98: 18" wheels, power side mirrors(benefit?)
00: first with cast pistons (thus not as good), also doesn't have ABS yet
01-02: has ABS

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So much confusuion! I dont plan extensive mods, maybe all the bolt ons i can get, plus 150shot of Nitrous. is that ok on an 02?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang