gts panelwork question

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a 2000 gts for my brother in black and have noticed that the panel exactly opposite the fuel filler has a series of vertical imperfections(almost like a very slight corrugated effect in the paint ). IS THIS NORMAL OR SIGNS OF A POSSIBLE REPAIR. also the front two tyres have flat spots ,is this normal or signs of abuse.
Finally the clutch seems to bite three quarters of the way up when released and seems to have a very long travel ,is this normal as the clutch didn't appear to slip in 6th gear under load. thanks.
ps are vipers made of fibreglass or kevlar as the panel I have mentioned above looks like painted kevlar.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The flat spots on the tires are usually a sign of skidding with the brakes applied. Often occurs when the car is raced by an inexperienced driver . . .

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My GTS is made by what is called the "Resin Transfered Mold" process, or "RTM" for short. I think its a type of plastic, something similar to fiberglass. Even brand new from the factory, it had so many ripples and imperfections, I like to call it the "Ripple Transfered Mold" process. :)
Mine also has vertical ripples in the area you mention. I haven't looked too closely at other Vipers, but I think they are all likely to have some ripples somewhere. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the car at all.

The clutch is hydraulic, and mine engages maybe 2.5 or 3 inches inches before full release. Its kinda hard to measure that looking down at it. Maybe someone who has experience and/or the service manual could "chime in" here. Check the resevoir for proper fluid level.

The flat spots sound like full lockup, which doesn't necessarily mean the car was abused. One hard stop doesn't constitute abuse, could've been the "one" mistake only. Look at the "Viper" lettering on the front calipers. Is it still white, or has it turned a dull yellow from high heat? That would indicate the car has been tracked. Mine are yellowed, and I track it, but its still in really good shape. You have to check it carefully, it may be a good car. You got a mechanic who can go over it?