GTS Style Flip Gas Cap On RT10, Can It Be Done?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've searched the threads and can't find anything, nothing on google either, has anyone done this or have pictures, I thought it might be a really cool look on an RT10 but am having trouble visualizing it or if it can even be done :dunno:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it would look good. i dont seem to remember anyone posting about it. it would make sense though.

isnt it only recessed more than the GTS ?

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a flip up cover on an rt 10 but I think it was from a challenger or some other dodge car.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh man, now I'm getting excited, hope someone posts a how to, or at least a pic! I looked at my flip door and can't really see how it would come off, it looks as though it is rivited??

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is something I have on my list to do, but didn't know if other viper owners would accept it or like it (know what i'm trying to say?). i've never seen anyone talk about it, and never seen it done before.

but with the lines of the car, I think it would look awesome. I find it hard to believe there aren't more RT/10s with it!

In that case, I may try to fit one on mine before the Charlotte trip. Yeah come on!! : )

steve

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fitzgerald Motorsports installed them on their Gen-1 Shelby conversions. Do a search for Shelby Vipers. There should be some pics showing the caps on Gen-1 cars.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be the only one here that doesn't like it on the RT....just my personal opinion.

I feel it would detract from the smooth look on the rear deck....:sorry2:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fitzgerald Motorsports installed them on their Gen-1 Shelby conversions. Do a search for Shelby Vipers. There should be some pics showing the caps on Gen-1 cars.

Thanks will do!

I may be the only one here that doesn't like it on the RT....just my personal opinion.

I feel it would detract from the smooth look on the rear deck....:sorry2:

That is what I'm trying to decide, I just need to find a photo with it done. In my head it looks good, but in actuality it may be different :dunno:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok found this image on a shelby forum, this is out of a magazine and is the "shelby viper" you talked about but I don't see a special gas cap like we are talking :dunno:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like what Jay did:

Jays_installed_GT_gas_cap.jpg

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that one on jays car does look great. forgot about that one...

half the guys here dont know who jay is.LOL

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like what Jay did:

YES YES, that picture of Jay's that is what I want to do, is that the SRT cap? Is there much modification required to do that, I love the flush fit/look like that! Does anyone know Jay's username on here so I can PM him?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to Jay and the car......

Forum-wise he hadnt posted in a long time and then just after VOI SLC two years ago i remember seeing a random post that made me smile:

When Ralph said, "Please do not take any pictures, I'm asking for your respect." (I paraphrase) It was one of the most impressssssive things I have ever seen an executive do.

Trust and respect are something that is harder and harder to find these days. It is quite a statement that with all the cameras that all of us had in our hands, literally hundreds of them, not one picture is out there (yes, the presentation had several pictures of the car before we saw it in person which easily could have been photographed).

We should be very proud of all that attended who are respecting the request of a very impressive leader, one that no doubt is respected by Sergio enough to let his Division continue the Viper Legacy.

As for the Gen V car, I am sure many comments will be heading to Ralph, which is what he wants..... the good and the bad. All of those that did not take a particular liking ot the Gen III/IV car, you will like this one. To me it was more of a logical step to the Gen II legacy then something radical (as I personally viewed the Gen II to III change). It is the return of the curves and it once again has plan view curves as well. Is it my "perfect Viper"? No, but it is close enough that my list to Ralph will be a short one :)

Back on topic, here is the thread of Jay's build:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/594428-Paint-is-finally-going-on......
Not sure if he is on the forums much anymore but if you want to getahold of him for advice on the gascap i would just email his VCA region and tell them to please foward your email/contact info to him. I think he will get back to you.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ed Combs, of Double Venom fame built that car for Jay. Ed was on this forum years ago, was based outside of Columbus, Ohio when I knew him and now I think is up in Michigan building Cobras with Viper engines, hence the name. A google search should track him down.... a very talented and friendly guy.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...sounds like it was a big deal to do this one...

One more picture, just in... of the fuel filler lid installed. This was so much work for both Ed and I it is hard to describe. It stated out as a "Bullet Mustang" fuel filler lid. To make it fit the hole in the Viper fender I had to get it's OD machined down in diameter, it took two tries to get it right. The original mounting screws did not work (to short), so I scoured catalogs until I found these stainless steel buttonhead screws. Ed did a TON of bodywork to countour the fender so the fuel filler lid fit flush (this is in another thread somewhere :) ). Now that it's painted, it is everything I had hoped it would be... x10. By the way, this picture hints at what I am talking about when I say this color is a "gold colored orange". Ed wanted me to let y'all know this is before the final buffing!

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One more picture, just in... of the fuel filler lid installed. This was so much work for both Ed and I it is hard to describe. It stated out as a "Bullet Mustang" fuel filler lid. To make it fit the hole in the Viper fender I had to get it's OD machined down in diameter, it took two tries to get it right. The original mounting screws did not work (to short), so I scoured catalogs until I found these stainless steel buttonhead screws. Ed did a TON of bodywork to countour the fender so the fuel filler lid fit flush (this is in another thread somewhere :) ). Now that it's painted, it is everything I had hoped it would be... x10. By the way, this picture hints at what I am talking about when I say this color is a "gold colored orange". Ed wanted me to let y'all know this is before the final buffing!

Yep, copied this from the thread above, looks like it is a pro job to do it "right". I don't like the wart as some call it, this is the only way to go but it seems too involved for the minor upgrade in appearance to me. Man someone should look at making an aftermarket billet piece that would just "pop" in, I know I'd buy it...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96