GTS subwoofer fun - pics

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I replaced my factory subwoofers with Kicker 6.5" a few months ago, but wasn't satisfied with the sound they put out. After looking at pictures on this site and reading pretty much every thread on the topic, I decided to see if I could fit a 12" sub in the back of my GTS. Caveats: 1)keep as much usable trunk space as possible 2)retain the spare tire (after reading all the threads on spare removal, I concluded I would be better off keeping it, for peace of mind if nothing else). That left either of the two side cubbies, leaving the vents on one side unobstructed to avoid any possible issues (although the box fit to the trunk is certainly not airtight).

Here's what I came up with:

You must be registered for see images attach

The box is 1/2" MDF and fiberglass, just over 1 cubic foot. Sub is a Kicker CompVR dual voice coil (400w RMS/800w max).

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Should have went with the solobaric. Square speaker = 25% more cone area and its required airspace is .88 cf for the 12". Its like having a 15in speaker but the size of a 12.

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I considered the Solobaric, but in the end decided on the CompVR because I had the space for a slightly larger enclosure, and liked the look of the round sub better. Also, the Viper has a pretty small cabin, and I don't think the increase in SPL capability is worth the 100% increase in price of the square woofer (I'm not trying to win any competitions, just have a decent system). That said, a Solobaric would easily fit in the same type of enclosure. Is that what you've got?

QuickSRT and 97GTS: It sounds great! Deeper than I expected, actually.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. Like the amps up on the rear deck there. Was wondering in the first 2 pics where the heck you moved them to.

So how did you run the wires to the amps? Tucked under the carpet? And I take it no problem mounting them there with the gas tank below, like screws into the tank? :omg:

And um you didn't like um make a pattern of this box for your buddies on the forum did you? :D

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks nice. Does it block the vent? I had my amps on there before too. Until I left it out in the sun for 20 mins. It got so hot the amps shut down and wouldn't power up.

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran the wires under the plastic trim panel and then the bulkhead cover behind the seats. All the power, RCA, speaker connections on the amps are on one side, so it was convenient to do it that way.

The amps are screwed into a board beneath the carpet--no holes in the body panel, and no accidental fuel tank "ventilation." I do have cardboard templates for the MDF pieces of the sub box (everything except the top and one side, which are fiberglass)--what are they worth to you?:D

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave

Fiberglass Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Tape the inside up with plenty of tape and then glass the mold to fit. To answer the question on the amp wiring. You can pull the rear carpet out and run you wires behind the bulkhead around the trim panel and directly to the a power block mounted where his speaker is. I would put the speaker on the other side if I were doing a single speaker. Since the gas tank is directly below the amp mounting point my old solution was to cut a piece of trim oak trim board that fits under the carpet. I used T nuts to mount the amps to that board. It worked well but with two amps it will somewhat block your view through the back glass. When I get some free time, in 4 or so years, I plan to use all the fiberglass material that I bought to build an enclosure.

Chris

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Touché.

I used fiberglass just on the top and one side, but it would be just as easy (and lighter) to do the whole thing with it like sirhc76 says.

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The box sits on and behind the ridge, with the part behind extending below the height of the ridge to the floor, so unless it moves up (which it won't because of the height of the box), it can't move out. It took some coercion to get it in there, and I imagine it'll take the same amount to get it out. It has to be pulled out and angled up at the same time, otherwise it's not going anywhere.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Thanks for that tip, and I would have guessed that to be the technique to keep it in place.

But another question while this thread remains active...

J&L makes a 6.5" sub that seems like it would certainly be easier to fit.

JL Audio Products: Subwoofers / 6W3v3

Would a sub that small do much? I would be upgrading the amp at the same time.

The 6.5" JL sub will give you more bass than the stock full range speakers. But don't expect low frequencies down to 20hz if you're looking for that true "sub" woofer effect.

OP
OP
V

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried similar Kicker 6.5" subwoofers first. They are definitely better than the stock speakers, but if you want to feel the bass in your chest, you'll want something bigger. The frequency response on the JL's and Kicker is down to 30Hz; the CompVR I put in goes down to 25Hz, and Kicker Solobarics will go down to 20Hz (all this according to Crutchfield). Additionally, with larger cone area and more excursion on the larger subwoofers, you'll get higher sound pressure levels (although this depends on the size of the box to some extent as well--closer to the smallest recommended sealed size will make the sub hit harder; closer to the largest recommended sealed size will play with more depth). The stock sub enclosures are fairly small, even for those 6.5" woofers, so they end up with strong midbass but not a lot of extension.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i ever put more of an exhaust on mine id do that for sure. it looks perfect in there. nice job.