Just installed new subwoofer and rear speakers in my '05........FYI

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I tried to locate the 4 ohm Kicker 6.5" subwoofer that everyone has used in the Gen 3. I bought an '05 and the subwoofer was shot. Let me start by saying I'm not an audiophile and I never set out to put an upgraded sound system in my car. Since I couldn't find the 6.5" Kicker subwoofer, I decided to try the new Kicker Comp RT 6 3/4" subwoofer. It has two 2 ohm coils, and comes with instructions on the jumper wire to give the subwoofer 4 ohms of resistance. In short, it works great and fits in the stock box (I gutted mine, so unknown if it will fit without gutting the tube inside). So while I had the rear bulkhead apart, I noticed those pathetic little 2.5" speakers were Chinese junk..............like they were made from 40 year old felt paper. While ordering the subwoofer from Crutchfield, I noticed they didn't offer a 2.5" speaker, but they DO stock a Polk Audio 3.5" speaker. And yes, it's 4 ohms. It was on sale for $29.99 so I decided to give them a try. You have to enlarge the opening to 3 1/16", but there's enough material to open up the hole and still have enough structure intact. So after a little work, I have new 3.5" speakers behind the headrests and a new 6 3/4" subwoofer. It sounds noticeably better! The sub doesn't give much bass, but it is what it is. As of July 2013, I ordered the following part #'s from Crutchfield. Polk Audio DXi350 @$29.99 Kicker 40CWRT672 @$119.99 They offered free shipping, so I got a huge improvement in sound for only $150. Pics are attached. Enjoy!
You must be registered for see images attach
Oh, and as a bonus, the little 3.5" speakers are Marine Certified, so they should hold up in my convertible just fine :D. See my gallery for full size pics.

Ccichon0713

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the local shop's in Memphis have kicker compVT 6.5 1 ohm. let me tell yall that it doesn't work in the stock location with factory amp it needs a special amp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang