GTS subwoofer ideas?

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay I'm getting ready to instal a sub in the rear of my 2000 GTS. I'm looking to see what other people have done to put subs in their car. If you made a custom box or if you bought something that worked for you. LMK what your solutions might be.
Please post photos so I can see how it looks.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS has a JL Audio 13tw5 mounted in the back, along with a couple of JL amps. The entire assembly takes up little space (depth), looks okay, and nothing is screwed in so it can easily be removed if it needs to be for any reason.

The JL 13tw5 sub itself hits pretty hard and it has no problem supplying decent amounts of bass. It plays pretty low too. About the only negative thing about it is that it does not excel with really tight and punchy bass, which I like. With that said, only so much can be expected out of a thin, low volume sub. The compromise is well worth it IMO as I have no interest in filling the back of the car with big/heavy sub boxes. If you want really good low and tight bass, it takes more space and weight than I'd be willing to put in the back of a Viper.

Here's a link to the sub and a quick pic if you're interested.
JL Audio 13TW5 Subwoofers - Car Audio Subwoofers

You must be registered for see images attach

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a 8" TREO SSi sub in a custom ported box on the driver side, powered by an Alpine PDX-1.1000 mounted on the pass side along with an Alpine PDX-4.100 to bi-amp my front Alpine type-X 6 1/2" component speakers (no rear speakers), and an Alpine DVD 6-disk changer, also my satellite radio antenna is hidden/ mounted on top of the changer:D This sub sounds really good for an 8";)

I have gave demo's of my system before they knew what was in back and no one ever guessed it was just an 8", most thought one 12 or two 10's :) and I did the WHOLE install Myself!

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Can still get to the spare tire as well!!

paulsgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your overall goal? do you do any performance driving as well as crusing around bumpin?

some ideas for you here:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/631244-subwoofer-factory-rear-speakers-gts.html
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/626480-gts-subwoofer-fun-pics.html
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/602666-custom-sound-system-done-pics.html
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/595124-subwoofer-gts.html
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/581740-stereo-upgrade-gts-pics.html

The biggest plus i see to a self powered sub is that they are very easy to pull out for racing. You can literally show up to a trackday Bumpin and then remove the sub just like you remove the spare tire.:2tu:

paulsgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dom I didn't know I had to have a goal with the car. Yes I have taken it to a few track days in the past. I ended up getting the road racing bug but decided not to run my viper. I couldn't justify ruining my car on the track so I decided to build a dedicated track rat. As for the viper I go on rides with the guys from VCA, the occasional car show, and run the Z06s and my friends GTR on the highway! Yes Hirkophoto the bottles do make it much louder!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, i wasnt asking you. The OP(Hirkophoto) is the one asking for advice on a sub, and depending on his overall goal people will help him by giving advice that is best for his situation.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. My goal is a not simple. I track and drive my car hard, but I also go on VCA events were I want nice sound. So I think I will want to make it removable for sure.

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put in a pair of these 8" subs in a ported .88cu box each. takes up a lot of room, but the sound quality is awesome. They're sensitive enough to hear at low volumes, sounds tight and punchy, and let you feel the bass in your chest. I'll post pics once I clean up the wires. It looks like a lot of people are putting subs on the sides of the trunk, but no matter how I measured, I can't get more then .5 cubic feet out of that area with 3/4" MDF

and yes, they sound better then a kicker solobaric 10". and they weigh 50lbs with the box, which isn't great..

Parts-Express.com: Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer | subwoofer 8" subwoofer long throw subwoofer tangband tb speakers tangband-41108

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always the debate about blocking vents and replacing spare tires. I'm sure it's been discussed before.

I just went with a JL 10W7 in an enclosure in the tire well.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking off to the right side of the trunk area, I plan on blocking the vent I guess. I'm sure it's not going to be air tight.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking off to the right side of the trunk area, I plan on blocking the vent I guess. I'm sure it's not going to be air tight.

It doesn't have to be air tight to restrict flow. If you drive with your windows open a lot I would try to avoid blocking them. It may lead to loose hatch hinges later or worse. Otherwise it's your choice if you're willing to take the risks.

Also keep in mind bass resonance or cancellation due to the placement. At certain speeds if the vents are blocked you will get air pressure pulsations with the windows down and/or the bass response will not sound right...... been there, done that :rolleyes: :D

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody interested should try and do a search here WHY the spare tire is there where it is! It might save you a** in a rear end incident ...:eater:

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put in a pair of these 8" subs in a ported .88cu box each. takes up a lot of room, but the sound quality is awesome. They're sensitive enough to hear at low volumes, sounds tight and punchy, and let you feel the bass in your chest. I'll post pics once I clean up the wires. It looks like a lot of people are putting subs on the sides of the trunk, but no matter how I measured, I can't get more then .5 cubic feet out of that area with 3/4" MDF

and yes, they sound better then a kicker solobaric 10".

Parts-Express.com: Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer | subwoofer 8" subwoofer long throw subwoofer tangband tb speakers tangband-41108

selling this setup for $500 shipped. Includes a JL 300/2 amplifier

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang