GTS Value Depreciation/Appreciation?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if a car is 'typically' modified, as long as the owner kept all the original parts, it doesn't hurt the value at all - might even move it up a bit since all the originals are in new condition. When you're looking, that's a good question to ask.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my 01 ACR for sale for less than 2 weeks and already turned down a valid offer in the mid 50's. Am I crazy...na.

I don't really want to sell that badly but if I get what I want(more than mid 50's) ...then it's time to sell and maybe find a newer ACR.

Maybe I am crazy because I am missing something here. Is your 01 ACR stock? Because if it is and someone offered you 55K for it, I am puzzled as to why you didn't except it! A 2001 ACR even with less than 10K miles is not worth any where near that amount...

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am crazy because I am missing something here. Is your 01 ACR stock? Because if it is and someone offered you 55K for it, I am puzzled as to why you didn't except it! A 2001 ACR even with less than 10K miles is not worth any where near that amount...

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. Not all buyers make their purchasing decisions based on Blue Book or perceived pricing. In my case, if I was in the market for another GTS/ACR and I found an ultra low mile car that met my standards, I wouldn't have a problem paying more than what other cars were listed for. So making a blanket statement about a particular cars value is ridiculous. By the way it's "accept" and not "except".

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moderator Edit. No outside ads please unless the ad is in our classifieds here also.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. Not all buyers make their purchasing decisions based on Blue Book or perceived pricing. In my case, if I was in the market for another GTS/ACR and I found an ultra low mile car that met my standards, I wouldn't have a problem paying more than what other cars were listed for. So making a blanket statement about a particular cars value is ridiculous. By the way it's "accept" and not "except".

The LAST place I would advertise my car for sale is here, where you get how your car is not nearly worth what you are asking for it from (some) people who use the shiit boxes on Ebay as the barometer of current value.

Last edited by a moderator:

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The LAST place I would advertise my car for sale is here, where you get how your car is not nearly worth what you are asking for it from (some) people who use the shiit boxes on Ebay as the barometer of current value.

Thank you ViperJon, I am thinking the same thing.

So everyone on here is telling me the my 97 red GTS is priced way to high at 40K. Man my math must be way off. I know you don't get your money back for parts but from what I have read here I have basically thrown away 35K in parts and another 10k in the car. Just checking because those EBay deals are the norm right? So what would be a supposedly realistic price? 35k?? 30K???

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not a sheep. Thats what your missing.

and Plumcrazy is right...I am a picky SOB and take care of my sleds as if they were worth a million dollars.

My ACR is worth north of 60K+ all day long and if I were in the market for that very car again...I wouldn't have any hesitation in paying it.

Signed,

It's my world and I love living in it. :rolaugh:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, I have been working like crazy lately but thank you for correcting my grammar. It seems all those years of higher education that I have don't mean **** huh?:lmao:

Oh and BTW, I'm far from making a blanket statement. Two of my friends are car dealers. They don't work at Toyota, Dodge, or GM. They move only higher end cars and are in business for themselves. Both of them together have moved over 100 Vipers. Another 2 guys I know happen to own ACR's...one of them being a 2001. I do not get my info from something as foolish as KBB or ebay. I have it based on first hand experience so I'm sorry to say that I know more about this subject than you do sir.

If you are willing to pay over 10-15K what a car is worth (even though there is no guarantee the car will appreciate currently), then more power to you.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a sheep. Thats what your missing.

and Plumcrazy is right...I am a picky SOB and take care of my sleds as if they were worth a million dollars.

My ACR is worth north of 60K+ all day long and if I were in the market for that very car again...I wouldn't have any hesitation in paying it.

Signed,

It's my world and I love living in it. :rolaugh:

A sheep? Hmmm, not sure what that means but then again I'm not on these sites long enough to pick up the lingo. Good luck getting 60K for that car, I really hope you do. I saw a 2001 ACR a couple months ago sell for 50K and it had 7600 miles, came with 18 inch HRE's, the stock ACR tires, and full exhaust on it so you never know.

Your world? That kinda sounds like something a teenager would say. :)

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lanza, you mentioned you were a young person? First thing I did, and I'm an old guy, was to check the insurance costs of a weekend, sunny day toy. This would be my suggestion to you. And when you do buy one, just drive it, it's only a car. Cool car, but still a car.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and BTW, I'm far from making a blanket statement. Two of my friends are car dealers. They move only higher end cars and are in business for themselves. Both of them together have moved over 100 Vipers. I have it based on first hand experience so I'm sorry to say that I know more about this subject than you do sir.

Good friends to have. Post up a link to their web sites.

I want to see what they have for sale.

Another 2 guys I know happen to own ACR's...one of them being a 2001.

Do they post here? I hope they never want to sell with your expert market knowledge discounting their rides.

Do you own a Viper?

A sheep? Hmmm, not sure what that means

:rolaugh:

I saw a 2001 ACR a couple months ago sell for 50K and it had 7600 miles, came with 18 inch HRE's, the stock ACR tires, and full exhaust on it so you never know.

Did you inspect it yourself? Do you even know the first thing to look for?

I could take two same year Vipers with the same miles and I could easily find 5 to 10K difference between the two due to needed upkeep, repairs and questionable history. Not even mentioning hidden problems such as paint work or other potential problems.

Many people really have no idea the difference between a 40K example or a 60K example.

Then again some people don't care either. They are happy with "deals" that look purdy at 20 feet.

The buyer of my sled is not that kind of person.

They want the very best example and are willing to pay for it....just like me.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toby, I just did the math and know what viper you must own. I didn't realize. It IS worth that for sure ! Good for you bud ! Enjoying it I'm sure

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The facts do not back up your statement. Cars sell very well on this site. 10 million views a month is nothing to sneeze at and buyers are often more comfortable with the fact that the car is known to others here and will pay more due to that fact.

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars are for driving. Get one and enjoy it. If you're looking for an investment, there are much better avenues.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The facts do not back up your statement. Cars sell very well on this site. 10 million views a month is nothing to sneeze at and buyers are often more comfortable with the fact that the car is known to others here and will pay more due to that fact.

That may or may not be true, what I said was my opinion about what I would do.
I didn't see a "statement" about how well cars advertised here sell or don't sell. Do you?

I do know if you mention in a post what you are asking for your car and IF it's more than some clunker listed on Ebay with a shady past the "experts" will tell you how crazy you are, no chance of getting that for it etc..it's like a sport around here to disparage other Viper owners and point out how out of touch they are with "todays" car values. Look at this thread with all the "experts" weighing in on car values. Every thread about Viper car values goes the same way. My post was my opinion, deal with it.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as appreciation goes, maybe someday but not for quite a while. You see... It is a matter of supply and demand. People in their teens and early twenties that are car enthusiasts are the ones that love the Viper more than any other age group. I see that every time I take my Viper to a car show. It is the teenager who loves it and surrounds it.

So, what does that mean. Well, right now those people do not have the buying power to increase demand. It will take that group of people 15-25 years before they have that buying power and can afford to start bidding against each other (which drives up prices) for the car they always wanted when they were a teen (almost all car enthusiasts wants the great car that they loved and dreamed about as a teen--I bet that is the way a lot of us on this board are). When that happens, as it did for 50's cars, then 60's cars, then early 70's cars, the Viper will gain in value.

Until that group (which I think by observation is the group of people with the most love for the Viper) becomes older and establishes wealth, the Viper prices will remain stagnant or decrease to some extent. When those people hit their 40's we could have a lot of people wanting a limited production car and the prices could go way up. That is 15-25 years away, but I am convinced it will happen as history has a tendency to repeat itself.

That's just my opinion, but it is an educated and experienced one.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That may or may not be true, what I said was my opinion about what I would do.
I didn't see a "statement" about how well cars advertised here sell or don't sell. Do you?

I do know if you mention in a post what you are asking for your car and IF it's more than some clunker listed on Ebay with a shady past the "experts" will tell you how crazy you are, no chance of getting that for it etc..it's like a sport around here to disparage other Viper owners and point out how out of touch they are with "todays" car values. Look at this thread with all the "experts" weighing in on car values. Every thread about Viper car values goes the same way. My post was my opinion, deal with it.

Actually I frequently read and do not post much on many different car forums........and this is common on ALL of the boards right now...sellers are getting killed right now.

Viper prices have been falling and will continue to do so, never to regain the lost equity. It is just that the over all economic "great recession" state has accelerated this depreciation rate...........

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as appreciation goes, maybe someday but not for quite a while. <snip>

...when they have that buying power and can afford to start bidding against each other... the Viper will gain in value.

<I'm> convinced it will happen as history has a tendency to repeat itself.

Fully agree with the essence of what you said, clipped only to save some space above.

TRUE STORY: Two weeks ago, two 14 year old car nuts who were visiting their grandfather (an older friend of mine) in town. He told them I had these few cars, and in an effort to find some way to burn time and energy, brought them to the warehouse.

There, amid 3 Ferraris, a Pantera, a hot rodded truck, and a Viper GTS, me and the boys (plus their mostly disinterested father) talked cars, horsepower, top speed... all that 14 year old stuff. They barely blinked the whole time.

At the end of the visit, I told them I'd give 'em each a ride in the car of their choice, and before I finished the offer, they BOTH instantly and simultaneously pointed to the Viper.

THAT - TO ME - has "future collectibility" and value written all over it. Far as short-term 'money' investment now, forget it. Just get one and enjoy the best bang per 450 horsepower buck you can buy on the planet and call THAT your return on investment. It is for me.

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that one may not plan on making much money on a GTS. I bought my GTS because it is a Great looking car and its one I may break even on when I sell it. Original Cars are worth more to some. Every day there are less of them out there. So if you found one and it is in showroom condition expect it to be a little higher. I would not worry about the color as long as YOU like it. I like RED and its what I bought. Buy a nice GTS and keep it that way and you have a VERY good chance of getting your money back when you are done with it.The thing is you may never be done with it. Not much out there that has the looks of a Viper GTS!!

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would have sold it then picked up another one just like it for a quick profit. :drive::headbang:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good friends to have. Post up a link to their web sites.

I want to see what they have for sale.

Do they post here? I hope they never want to sell with your expert market knowledge discounting their rides.

Do you own a Viper?

:rolaugh:

Did you inspect it yourself? Do you even know the first thing to look for?

I could take two same year Vipers with the same miles and I could easily find 5 to 10K difference between the two due to needed upkeep, repairs and questionable history. Not even mentioning hidden problems such as paint work or other potential problems.

Many people really have no idea the difference between a 40K example or a 60K example.

Then again some people don't care either. They are happy with "deals" that look purdy at 20 feet.

The buyer of my sled is not that kind of person.

They want the very best example and are willing to pay for it....just like me.

I'll get you his phone number if you want it. PM me.

No my friends do not post up here. They are not VCA members, not really avid car guys. They just like Vipers lol. You would be surprised how many Viper owners are not members here or on the alley. I know 3 personally.

Do I know the first thing to look for? Well, seeing as how I have done all my own work on my Viper to include, fluid changes, frame inspections, frame recall inspections and VIN look ups, header seal replacements, exhaust mods and installation, hood and fascia adjustments, full HID wiring and installation, and as far as inspecting the car for paint, body lines, structure, I have been around cars most of my life and a good friend of mine owns a body shop here in town, I know what to look for as far as past damage on a Viper or any car for that matter. I have also changed half shafts, drive shafts, rear ends, and suspension on my friend Chads Viper. Do you think that qualifies me? How much hands on experience do you have with Vipers?

I see you have fallen into the stereotypiing of non-VCA members in your comments (asking me if I own a Viper and asking me if I know what I'm looking at) My name is 99VPRGTS for a reason! Want some pics? Columbus is my home town. If I am ever up that way, bring your garage queen out and I'll be more than happy to show you my taillights for free or for any amount of money that you wish.

You need to realize that some people who post on here that aren't members of your prestigious club actually do know what they are talking about. You are no better than they are, and, I'll bet you have never touched a Viper with a wrench in your entire life...maybe I'm stereotyping now ;)

Last edited:

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And from both your replies, I'd imagine some who aren't owners or members might stereotype those who are... such as yourselves. Settle your stand-off on Pinks or in another thread.

THIS THREAD was asking advice, from a hopeful soon-to-be Viper owner, looking for guidance.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL I wasn't stereotyping anyone! I simply asked why a 2001 ACR would be worth over 60K and I got accused of not owning a Viper, not knowing anything about them, and something to do with sheep. :lmao:

I apologize for the thread hijack (and will not do it anymore) but I just wanted to respond and educated Mr. Toby a little. :D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...continuing the hijack:

99VPRGTS , not posting any details about yourself, loccation, car, ect...
then going on a rant about who you are is not cool.

You are ignorant to the fact that you are bringing down the value of all our vipers by coming on here and telling someone that is ready to buy a viper for *** that it is worth far less. He would have paid what he thought it was worth. That would have been the market value. Now you(and others) have changed his mind and he is now low-balling a fellow viper owner bringing down the effective market value.
When given the choice of catering to noobs OR supporting existing owners i chose to suport my viper family.
I think all of are vipers are Priceless.

Update your profile.:)