GTS vs. Lotus Elise............

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I have a friend that is very close to buying a GTS even though he put a deposit down on a Elise a year ago. I would like to hear what you guys believe are the pros and cons between these two different cars...

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on UK tracks the elise is a mighty car, pretty nimble around the corners to say the least maintaining its speed very well, excellent handling ability. In real life road terms it's under powered and no comprassion for a GTS and will always be playing catch-up. Slightly wider tyres wouldnt go a miss either.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no comparison on or off track. not even opinion speaking here. fact is elise cannot compare to a viper in performance, nice car just out of league

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A modified 300HP Elise and a Viper would be a great race. But 190HP just doesn't cut it, even at 2,000 pounds. Hard as h*ll to get in and out of, but they are fun to drive. They are sooooo small, though, you feel out-of-place and unsafe on American highways. Really, it makes a Miata look as big as a Cadillac.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.8 Liter vs. 8.0 Liter. If your buddy needs to ask the question, tell him to get the Elise.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rcdice: LMAO. Good advise. Every type of vehicle has a type of person who will truely enjoy owning it. Matching the two up is the trick. Someone who loves everything about a vette, may not like a viper, or someone who loves small cubic inch lambo's may also not like the viper... It's all in what YOU like.

If he's askin', he should get the lotus.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess some cars have been arriving so he is going to hold out and buy the Elise. I told him to get used to my rear lights because that is all he will get to see when I am in front. I better start working on my suspension setup cuz i know he will be all over me in the twisties. Bring it on.........

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have driven both. The Elise is SMALL!! I put a deposit down 1.5 years ago and gave it up for the GTS. I would love to have both, but I like the GTS better.

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a road course, especially tight ones, I'm sure an elise could blow a viper away. On autocross definite nod to the elise, drag race, forget it, viper by a mile.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Elise also just prefer the GTS hands down. I believe my buddy is #13 on the dealers list.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am #11 at my local dealer. They called last winter for me to spec my order. Since I had already spent alot of money on my GTS, I passed, but had them hold my deposit. I plan on ordering the car this winter in hopes of a spring delivery.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a road course, especially tight ones, I'm sure an elise could blow a viper away. On autocross definite nod to the elise, drag race, forget it, viper by a mile.

Even tight road courses I give the Viper the nod (with equal drivers). The power to weight ratio advantage is just too great. Not to mention the Viper is no slouch in the corners pulling over 1 g, and goes extremely fast through the slalom. Although, the Viper is much more difficult to drive fast, and takes an experienced driver too extract the venom.

When I drove an Elise 111S, I was driving at the razors edge (9/10s) in 20 minutes. The feedback this car gives is amazing. Kinda like a go-cart. Just no balls... I have had my Viper GTS for nearly 3 years, and felt more confidence in the twisties after 20 mintues of driving in the Elise (than the Viper). Kumho R compound tires did help with feedback in the Viper, but still no comparison to the Elise. IMO, steering feedback is the Viper's biggest flaw. Don't get me wrong, I'm crazy about the Viper, as no car is perfect.

IMO, the Elise would be a real contender with 300 HP and more torque. Maybe the aftermarket will come up with something good, but I haven't seen it yet...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4