Guys Running Motons or Adjustable Suspensions

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running Motons for the last six months and truly love the improved corning ability, lower stance, and much improved ride. This is the way the car should have come from the factory.

I have taken the car to several track events and love the adjustability of the Club Sport setup. One thing I noticed however is there is no quick and easy solution to adjust the nitrogen pressure in the canisters. By doing so, you are, in effect, increasing or decreasing the spring rate which lets you dial in the ride depending on your desired ride characteristics, the roads in your area and/or to tune the suspension at the track. In addition I have found that the Motons tend to bleed nitrogen over time which requires checking and adjusting the pressure every so often.

To my surprise it is not easy at all to check and adjust the nitrogen pressure in the canisters. In fact after doing my research, the parts are extremely difficult to come by. In order to adjust the pressure you first need a special valve to connect to the Motons to pressurize them without losing pressure upon removal. You also need a high pressure regulator and gauge to fine tune the pressure to your liking. Finally and by far the most difficult to find, is a small, portable high pressure storage tank to hold the nitrogen. I did manage to purchase a valve from Moton thinking I was on the right track which was $120 alone. In the end, it was only a small piece of the puzzle.

With that said, I went on a quest to find a readily accessible and portable solution to adjusting the nitrogen pressure when at the track or simply to maintain proper pressure in the canisters. After several months of searching I found a company called Powertank which specializes in 02 stored air systems for off-road, 4x4 vehicles. Powertank was able to build a portable NO2 system with all the required valves, gauges and tank which solves the adjustability issue and, at the same time, is completely portable.

The entire system fits into a 19x15x6 hard case case and contains:

· High Pressure Portable Nitrogen Tank
· High Pressure adjustable regulator with tank and regulator Gauges
· Shock Inflation Valve and Gauge
· All high pressure braided hoses
· Tank filler tool
· Required wrench for quick assembly and disassembly
· Carrying case with foam insert
· Shoulder Strap

The complete kit is made from the best parts available. The tank is capable of holding 7,000 lbs of pressure and the regulator gives you the flexibility to adjust the pressure in the canisters up to 300lbs. The process is simple and only takes a few moments. You simply dial in the high pressure regulator to desired pressure and attach to the schrader valve on the Motons via the special adjustment valve. The tank holds enough pressure to adjust all four shocks 20 times and is easily filled at your local plumbing supply store or suspension shop.

It is the only truly portable kit available in the market.

Since I know there are others who would like truly portable pressure adjustability, this kit will be available to others who are interested. We are working on pricing now but need to get a sense of interest prior to releasing final prices.

Your feedback and comments are appreciated.

Here are some pics.

DSC07643.JPG

DSC07624.JPG

DSC07635.JPG

DSC07627.JPG

DSC07636.JPG

DSC07642.JPG

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first had mine pressurized, i took them to a race shop that rebuilds Motons and he mentioned that they bleed down a bit and should be checked every month or so.

thanks for the response. I will keep you posted.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great find Nader! I just talked the Mark Jorgenson at Woodhouse today about installing Motons for me this Winter. This is something I would be interested in....

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. got mine from Mark. He is the one who convinced me to purchase the Motons in the first place. I was skeptical at first but i must say he was right. He was a big help with installation and settings. Great guy.

You will love the set up.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would be very interested. It would be even better if the kit could support both the Motons and Penske shocks (if both, you definitely have another sale).

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to pick up one of these kits....does it include "everything"? Or do we still need to pick up a valve from moton?

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casayse: So long as the Penske shocks work with a Schrader valve, which I am sure they do, it will work.

ILLSMOQ - Everything needed will be included in the package. I made the mistake of purchasing the moton valve thinking it was the answer. The moton valve is the same as the valve provided in the last picture.

Okay guys looks like we have some interest here. I should have pricing shortly.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll just borrow ILLSMOQ's after he buys one. :D

Kit looks nice, good find.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition I have found that the Motons tend to bleed nitrogen over time which requires checking and adjusting the pressure every so often.

My question, is this a common problem with all Nitrogen based shock systems? I mean there has to be guys that have been running these shocks for more than 6 months, have they had the similar problems with the bleed? How much of a bleed is it at that point and when does the nitrogen need to be added? What is the longest someone has gone without having to refill them? I just find it hard to believe that no one else has posting anything else about this problem before now, although I didnt search honestly, or have they and do they just end up taking it in to get the shocks filled up? I know its a Viper and of course I would do it if needed, but it just seems like that is high maintenance for a shock system to have to refill every month? I am sure alot of it has to do with how you drive but I would be worried quite often that they may be low even though I may of gotten them checked just 3 weeks ago, and would for sure rather be safe than sorry.

Dont get me wrong, I am sure that it is a good investment for the shocks and the refill system, and will most likely in the future get the Motons and system once I get my new wheels, that just really seems like a alot of work to just keep up the shocks. Excuse my newbie response to this, I have only had my Viper for just over 3 months and am still learning all I can about them, and these threads are helping me tons to make the absolute best future mod decisions. Thanks Nader for this helpful thread :2tu:

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burnhamb - First congrats on the new ride.

As for your question - under normal use the Moton shocks will lose some of the pressure in the cannisters over time. Now the amount of pressure depends how the car is used but generally speaking the pressure should be checked monthy. to check the pressure you do not need the entire kit to do so. You simply need the gauge and valve found in the second to last picture. It takes all of a minutes or so to check each shock cannister. If you need to add pressure you would then need to hook up the bottle with regulator. it is actually really simple to do as the system goes together in a few seconds and most mounted the moton cannisters in the engine bay and in the trunk. When I checked mine last i was down 6 lbs over a 2 month period.

As with most high performance mods, there is some additional upkeep and tuning. In the end the adjustability is well worth it.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would be interested, It looks nicer and better to use than the setup we hook up to our oversized Nitrogen bottle.

OKFireChief

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nader, Thanks for the info!

I have Motons on my VOI 9 car. Bought them from Mark J at Woodhouse. His guys did an outstanding job on the install. I recommend them to all!

I have a nitrogen tank/regulator set up for my tires. It's to bulkey to use on the shocks. Your new system looks awesome. Sign me up buddy ...

Thanks for your good work!

Cheers, Jon :)

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow great response thus far and certainly enough interest to go into production. I should have pricing in the next few days and if all goes well, we should be able to ship in a week or two hopefully.

Here is some additional info i missed about this setup.

The tank is a 72 cubic inch capacity tank which can pressurize a moton cannister from 0-200 psi roughly 35-40 times in one fill. Since these is no reason to release all the pressure in the cannisters when adjusting, that should give you 60 psi adjustments over time. The regulator is fully adjustable up to 300psi.

Once I get the pricing and orders underway, I will post instructions regarding usage as well as some information pertaining to recommendations regarding pressure and how it affects the ride characteristics.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good Nader, thanks for clearing up the questions. It doesn't sound as hard as I anticipated it would be to check and fill them up. Do you have pictures showing your Moton setup? I would be very interested to see them.

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds great, do you have a price, I'm interested.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jpas - noted

Burnhamb. Here is my set up -

Front Mount of Cannisters:

DSCF06101.JPG

Rears -
DSC06936.JPG

Car sits perfect -
DSC06665.JPG

DSC06667.JPG

Runs strong on the track -
DSC074781.JPG

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay guys after a long negotiation i was able to finalize the pricing.

Complete kits are $499.00 which comes with everything seen in my first post including the case. Shipping is not included and will be roughly $20 for US delivery and should take roughly 5-7 days door to door. Considering that the high pressure regulator is $189 and the special valve is $120 if purchased seperately, the complete kit is a great price.

The first 5 orders will get $30 off. To order please contact me at 917-520-7337 or send me a pm with a way to contact you so I can you to take your purchase information.

The kit is well worth the price and will be very impressed with the quality and functionality.

If you have any questions simply post here or you can reach me at 917-520-7337.

Tom Nader

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay guys after a long negotiation i was able to finalize the pricing.

Complete kits are $499.00 which comes with everything seen in my first post including the case. Shipping is not included and will be roughly $20 for US delivery and should take roughly 5-7 days door to door. Considering that the high pressure regulator is $189 and the special valve is $120 if purchased seperately, the complete kit is a great price.

The first 5 orders will get $30 off. To order please contact me at 917-520-7337 or send me a pm with a way to contact you so I can you to take your purchase information.

The kit is well worth the price and will be very impressed with the quality and functionality.

If you have any questions simply post here or you can reach me at 917-520-7337.

Tom Nader

Tom, I just sent you a PM. I'm very interested. Just tell me where to send my money. :)

I've been tracking my car with my Motons for some time. I didn't realize how fast the nitrogen bleeds from the canisters so this is a great solution for me. One question... Where can I easily get nitrogen to refill the cylinder? I guess the guys at the track will let me buy some from them but a retail source would be nice.

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nader-count me in too!
You and Mark talked me into the Motons-I'm taking the car over on the 12th-so I better have the right tools as well to maintain them!

Thanks!

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Tom-I'm number four on the list for the discount-one more slot left!!!