Had my 08 flashed today

Skeeter Blanton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 coupe was one of the first delivered in Dec. 07 and a lot of the early cars experienced computer problems......My car ran great (I thought)so I did not bother with getting the upgrade...Had my car in this week for a minor power steering check and decided to have it done (better late than never).....I could not believe the difference, the car had better throttle response and noticable seat of the pants increased torque....Wish I had a before and after dyno on the car......I have a ZR1 and I truly believe my viper pulls every bit as good as the ZR1, maybe better.....If anyone out there passed as I did I encourage everyone with an early 08 to get it done.....

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 coupe was one of the first delivered in Dec. 07 and a lot of the early cars experienced computer problems......My car ran great (I thought)so I did not bother with getting the upgrade...Had my car in this week for a minor power steering check and decided to have it done (better late than never).....I could not believe the difference, the car had better throttle response and noticable seat of the pants increased torque....Wish I had a before and after dyno on the car......I have a ZR1 and I truly believe my viper pulls every bit as good as the ZR1, maybe better.....If anyone out there passed as I did I encourage everyone with an early 08 to get it done.....

I assume that was done under warranty, correct?

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I too own an 08 I am aware of what he is talking about. There was an update for the ECM for 08's. It applied to 08's built early to mid year. Later built 08's came from the factory with the new ECM program. The update had nothing to do with the Mopar performance module. My 08 had the update done by the dealer (Tator)when it was delivered to him since it came from the factory without it but by the time Tator got it the tech bulletin had been issued.

OP
OP
S

Skeeter Blanton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I too own an 08 I am aware of what he is talking about. There was an update for the ECM for 08's. It applied to 08's built early to mid year. Later built 08's came from the factory with the new ECM program. The update had nothing to do with the Mopar performance module. My 08 had the update done by the dealer (Tator)when it was delivered to him since it came from the factory without it but by the time Tator got it the tech bulletin had been issued.

This gentleman is correct and it is covered under warranty.......

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wonder how the improved throttle response from the stock ECU flash compares to the improvements from the Mopar controller. Any ideas?

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Richie7....There was yet another "refinement" made to the throttle response for the 09 Viper. If I remember correctly it was mentioned during one of the SRT Engineer chats here on the forum. According to the SRT engineers, due to emissions regulations the change in the ECM for 09's is NOT available for 08 Vipers. And again if I recall correcly, the 09 changes to the stock/standard ECM for better throttle response were incorporated into the Mopar Performance Module. Since the Mopar ECM is not for "street" use you get to update your 08 in around about way. Plus the other benefits that go along with the Mopar unit.

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had ecm flashed for "limp mode" on my 08 but i can't say that it led to more throttle response or any other improvement over stock....

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how the improved throttle response from the stock ECU flash compares to the improvements from the Mopar controller. Any ideas?

I went back and forth between stock reflashed ECU and the Mopar controller.
Idle speed seems lower, more steady and exhaust note is more subdued with the Mopar controller. Throttle response is better and Dyno and track confirm it has more power.
But the stock ECU sounds and acts like the BAD BOY here, louder, rougher and meaner with nice popping.
Depends what you like best, but I'll use the stock ECU for street driving and use the Mopar for the track only

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for that feedback. I would be really annoyed paying $1100 for the mopar pcm if the throttle and hp benefits could be obtained from a simple flash at the dealer.

Idle speed seems lower, more steady and exhaust note is more subdued with the Mopar controller. Throttle response is better and Dyno and track confirm it has more power.
But the stock ECU sounds and acts like the BAD BOY here, louder, rougher and meaner with nice popping.
Depends what you like best, but I'll use the stock ECU for street driving and use the Mopar for the track only

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is exactly the feedback I am seeking (sorry op, don't mean to feed out of your plate).

SilverRT8, I am debating about installing the mopar PCM on my 08 - the car currently drives perfectly fine, it has a VERY nice tone, and throttle response is great. I don't know if the $ 1,500 computer and the $ 150 installation will be worth it...I thought the car may be running somewhat lean bassed on the full exhaust/hi flow cats/headers that it currently has.

I don't track the car, nor do I intend to, so, I wonder if I should just try to sell the PCM and call it the day...? :dunno:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is exactly the feedback I am seeking (sorry op, don't mean to feed out of your plate).

SilverRT8, I am debating about installing the mopar PCM on my 08 - the car currently drives perfectly fine, it has a VERY nice tone, and throttle response is great. I don't know if the $ 1,500 computer and the $ 150 installation will be worth it...I thought the car may be running somewhat lean bassed on the full exhaust/hi flow cats/headers that it currently has.

I don't track the car, nor do I intend to, so, I wonder if I should just try to sell the PCM and call it the day...? :dunno:

If you check with Jon at ParksRack, he can can get that MOPAR PCM way cheaper than the quote above....I just looked at my Dodge dealer install price and they charged me 120.00 (1.5hrs).....

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you don't track the car, definitely don't do it.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you check with Jon at ParksRack, he can can get that MOPAR PCM way cheaper than the quote above....I just looked at my Dodge dealer install price and they charged me 120.00 (1.5hrs).....

I already have the PCM...local dealership quoted me 2 hours to install/set up new PCM

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't track the car, definitely don't do it.

Thanks for the feedback - I might just put it for sale in the classifieds in hopes someone that can make better use of it does. What would be a fair price for a new, still in the box, never installed Mopar PCM...???

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most tuners will advise you to use the Mopar PCM with the belangers even if you do not track the car(which i assume from your signature you have)....I checked with three to include the dealer who installed mine...the conventional wisdom is that as you add miles non-Mopar PCM equiped cars with Belangers will eventually throw codes....you might consider speaking to several tuners/installers familar with the belanger set up before you put it up for sale....

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most tuners will advise you to use the Mopar PCM with the belangers even if you do not track the car(which i assume from your signature you have)....I checked with three to include the dealer who installed mine...the conventional wisdom is that as you add miles non-Mopar PCM equiped cars with Belangers will eventually throw codes....you might consider speaking to several tuners/installers familar with the belanger set up before you put it up for sale....

There is certainly no reason to lay out over 1k on the mopar pcm just because of codes with the stock pcm/belanger setup... i had the same code come up twice early on with the stock pcm/belanger setup and just cleared it myself with a $40 actron.... no codes in last 10 months

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay with the stock one with the reflash.That POPPING is so cool.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is certainly no reason to lay out over 1k on the mopar pcm just because of codes with the stock pcm/belanger setup... i had the same code come up twice early on with the stock pcm/belanger setup and just cleared it myself with a $40 actron.... no codes in last 10 months
Where did you get the actron from? Thanks!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ditto. Besides, getting ride of the codes permanently is a $5.00 fix.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tailwag.. autoshack has em .. the cheapest one works just fine... model p0305... i've even used it on the challenger when i changed the cats...

Actron®

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tailwag,
I would not worry about the car running too lean with Headers/full exhaust, as the car is running very rich from the factory. I had my car on the Dyno 5 times already, before and after each mod and all show high rpm AFR # to be in the low 11 range, wich is considered to be rich. I,personnally, think Headers show such a big HP gain on the 08/09 because, beside flowing better, they must also help to lean it out a bit.
If you already have the Mopar PCM, I would def. have it installed and feel the better throttle response and more refined idle and exhaust note. Dyno # showed me a + 16 HP/ + 27 TQ gain with the Mopar controller, so it performs way better, but I hate to loose the decel popping on the street, wich to me is an all improtant part of the Viper personnality.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the E and F updates for the 08 viper due to the car going into limp-mode a couple of times. I will give the car a few weeks to learn the new flash and see if I can feel any gains (Dyno,throttle responce, etc).

Reaction score
The ONLY update to the 08' PCM offered under warranty was to de sensitize the misfire codes being thrown because of the tight clearances on the variacam setup. There are no performance or throttle response gains that the flash provides. Any perceived improvements would only come from the throttle relearn during the flash.

I just had the E and F updates for the 08 viper due to the car going into limp-mode a couple of times. I will give the car a few weeks to learn the new flash and see if I can feel any gains (Dyno,throttle responce, etc).

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ONLY update to the 08' PCM offered under warranty was to de sensitize the misfire codes being thrown because of the tight clearances on the variacam setup. There are no performance or throttle response gains that the flash provides. Any perceived improvements would only come from the throttle relearn during the flash.

Thanks for the info...I still would want to see if the car has gained any power with 6000 miles on the clock. It does feel more powerful now than when it was new.