Had my 93 for 3 days..having fun..and some Q's

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, have had my 93 for 3 days, having a ball with it so far, but have a couple of questions.

1) what is the starting procedure for these cars? If I turn the key it takes about 5 seconds of the car turning over for the car to fire, is that normal?

2) there are two audio amplifiers in the trunk, one on each side, are they stock?

3) Is there an easy mod to give the exhaust a bit more volume? Not looking to spend a fortune right now, just wondered if theres something quick and easy to give it more of a meaty exhaust note.

4) The cross bars on the soft top rattle a lot, is that right, is there something that can be done for that?

I have ordered a owners manual and a tech manual, so will hopefully be able to answer other questions on my own soon enough.

Cheers,
Nick

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, have had my 93 for 3 days, having a ball with it so far, but have a couple of questions.

1) what is the starting procedure for these cars? If I turn the key it takes about 5 seconds of the car turning over for the car to fire, is that normal?

2) there are two audio amplifiers in the trunk, one on each side, are they stock?

3) Is there an easy mod to give the exhaust a bit more volume? Not looking to spend a fortune right now, just wondered if theres something quick and easy to give it more of a meaty exhaust note.

4) The cross bars on the soft top rattle a lot, is that right, is there something that can be done for that?

I have ordered a owners manual and a tech manual, so will hopefully be able to answer other questions on my own soon enough.

Cheers,
Nick

1. 5 secs seems a little long. Mine takes 2-3 secs before starting. May be a weak battery

2. Yes

3. Cutting off the muffler will increase volume. If you really want to make a increase in volume and pick up some HP, remove the cats as well. You can go with high flow cats or straight pipe. Lot cheaper (and louder) to go with straightpipe!

4. My softtop rattles at times but not much. The OEM softtops are useless for the most part, all they do is keep rain off your head.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Cheers,
Nick

1.) My car does the same (it's a 1993). I heard it's a weak fuel pump. Try this; turn the key in the ignition till you hear the fuel pump prime and dump fuel into the engine. Turn it back. Do it again. Turn it back. Do it a third time if it will let you (sometimes mine only lets me do it twice). After doing that, it should fire up almost immediately.

2.) The 2 amps are stock. I believe the left is the rears and the right is for the doors.

3.) A cat delete (won't pass emissions) and aftermarket Magnaflow mufflers loudened mine up quite a bit. I think the entire thing, including fabbing up new pipe and labor, was around $200. HUGE difference over stock...it sounds like a Viper now!

4.) My top amplifies all rattles in my car too. I think it's the nature of the beast; if you have it on you'll hear every little creak. Get that exhaust and you won't hear anything any more!

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pprobably need a new battery as 5 sec seems like to long - 2-3 sound be right.

Last edited:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pprobably need a new battery as 5 sec seems like to long - 2-3 sound be right.

I thought the same thing about mine when I first got it, but after testing the battery we found out that wasn't it. Try out the fuel pump priming thing first. That's the easy/quick solution. If that fails, then the battery should be next in line. If that's the case, have fun pulling out the spare tire...then the jack...then unbolting the cover plate.

While that may ****, at least you don't have to pull off the rear tire to get to the battery like the later Gen. I and Gen. II guys! Also an FYI; there is a terminal for jumping the car under the hood on the driver's side, so if you ever need a jump you don't have to pull all that crap out.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with the starting is a bad check valve in the tank. it no longer holds the fuel in the line and allows it to drain back into the tank. so it's like trying to start a car out of gas until you cycle it enough to push the fuel up to the engine.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
take off the rear drivers side tire and unbolt the panel in there. i just put in a new battery and it makes the world of difference.

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The problem with the starting is a bad check valve in the tank. it no longer holds the fuel in the line and allows it to drain back into the tank. so it's like trying to start a car out of gas until you cycle it enough to push the fuel up to the engine.

and how bad is the fix for that?

Nick

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and how bad is the fix for that?

Nick

Hey Nick,
it sounds like it's the fuel bleeding back thru the fuel pump after being pressurized. Common problem for the Gen I cars. Have you tried to cycle the key 2 or 3 times to see if it starts quicker?

PM Tom, F&L GoR. He has a quick fix for the problem. Cheap too. :2tu:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom on here does an external one.....Think a few other do as well...
Where are you in the UK.........

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Nick,
it sounds like it's the fuel bleeding back thru the fuel pump after being pressurized. Common problem for the Gen I cars. Have you tried to cycle the key 2 or 3 times to see if it starts quicker?

PM Tom, F&L GoR. He has a quick fix for the problem. Cheap too. :2tu:

No not yet, will try it tonight when I get home from work.

Nick

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LUCKY YOU:omg::omg:!!!!!!!!

Get your Viper over to TATORS DODGE in south Salem and see the Wizard:2tu::headbang:......

I got married at Le Chateau in South Salem which I blieve is a stones throw away..I will have to tell the wife we are going for a romantic drive and accidentaly arrive at Tators.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a simple fix for the softop rattling...take paper towels, paint them black and wrap them around the endcaps of the cross bars befor putting them in the side pillars...quiets it down and there will be no rattling...

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine doesn't rattle. I thought it was normal for a Dodge to turn over a few times before it started, think mine is more on the 2-3 second time. Everyone from the 60's on up did this. Everyone a good car still have the 68 charger, 73 cuda. Are you sure you have all the bolts and pegs in place for your top. Now I'm getting anxious to drive my '93. Think I'll take it of a spin tommorrow.

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bolts and pegs? Looking at my soft top the cross bars just seem to be resting in slots in the side bars , they can move backwards and forwards, there's nothing "holding" them in place..should there be?

Nick

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, only the sleeves in the cloth top hold them in place. But there should be felt (or maybe plastic) feet on the ends of the bars to keep them quiet.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tops vary between the different years. Before I sorta lost my top that was original to my 1993, the top had no pegs; a metal clip slid over a bolt to secure the side supports to the front piece. On the top I bought from a friend with a 1994 or 1995, it has pegs that screw in to lock it into place instead. The rest looks pretty much the same, but the pieces securing the sides to the front of the top varies by the year manufactured.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you modify the exhaust the soft top rattle will mysteriously go away. The start problem may be associated with the new gas, or a partcially clogged injector (caused by the new gas). I'd buy a new battery just because...and I'd add some fuel injector cleaner to the next tank of gas, and I'd spray some fuel injector cleaner in the throttle bodies.

Disclaimer: But that's just me and I have put an average 10k miles on my car for the last 7 years. If your intersted to find out which injector... check the plugs. Most burn white tips... the odd colored one will be the problem.

Cheap exhaust is Partsrack- call them.

I forget what else you wanted to know. Send me an e-mail ...need be [email protected]

Have fun with the car.

...Luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang