Half Shafts

Reaction score
Something's gotta break.
If you use stronger halfshafts you are more apt to break a more expensive and harder to remove/install part somewhere else in the drivetrain.
I know in my Humvee the halfshafts are designed to break before anything else does.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never heard of breaking the Viper driveshaft, but the stock halfshafts will certainly fail if you mount up slicks and visit a prepped track. I've got the UNITRAX "1200HP" shafts on my yellow beast, and so far so good.
Anecdotally, the next thing to fail in the drivetrain is the diff...

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the voice of experience.
If you run slicks and do a launch any higher than a idle, you will twist the stock half shafts.
Now there is no such think as an indestructible half shaft or U joint. I've twisted them all, but it takes much longer with HD shafts. Even with the HD shafts the u joint is still the weak link.
Key is driving technique. Don't shock the driveline. High RPMs launch with a soft clutch is key. I now get over 50 runs on shafts before they start to twist. Check them after 30 runs and if the splines are twisting, replace them before they bind.

Reaction score
Here is proof they WILL twist. Pictures from another Viper Board member.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Gear Grabbn Gary

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just what would be a ball park price for the unitrax half shafts?
I know that this spring I am going to have the need for a pair.
Thanks

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unitrax half shafts are in the vicinity of $700-$800, if I recall correctly. They make two models (actually soon to be three), and that is the price for the low end model, which they say is good up to 700 hp. If you have more power than that, you need to go with the 1200 hp shafts that treynor has, which I think are in the $1200 range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96