Hanging Idle...Rough at 1,500 and 3,500 RPM....Turbo Charged...FIXED

D

DAMN YANKEE

Had an interesting series of discussions with a very knowledgeable VCA member that I have pleaded with to post his most interesting tuning issues.

In short, after a very interesting SRT turbo build out he was having some considerable difficulty with a nasty case of hanging idle and more importantly roughness at 1,500 and 3,500 RPMs. THis would only happen in Closed Loop operations ,that being when the car was using the various feedback systems (think of it as everything we do other than WOT). During Wide Open Throttle, this person achieved a magnificent tune through logging and solid VEC2 (important here folks) tuning. But the idle hang and roughness plagued him.

He called to ask what I recommended, what followed next was so very interesting. He now has a perfectly tuned and running rig.

He still his his VEC2 as it was not the issue.

I'm hoping that like the piece on a Viper Engine Blowing up. The member will step forward and explain how he got it all together for the benefit of all those that may have a simular issue.

Hint.....

O2 sensors, brand of O2 sensors, location of O2 sensors.
Crank sensor and its proper adjustment....
Being able to log and knowing what to look for...

Great review of all the serious mods..
Great review of all the various steps....
Great review of all the proper logging....
Great review of what one can use to diagnose these issues...
Great review of all the possible culprits...

Few are as thorough and fewer still get a TURBO to run as sweet as this one.

How about it Pete?

Last edited by a moderator:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear what all was tested, tried and found. If Pete doesn't want to get into it then why don't you give us the spill, just leave names out and lets hear the technical side ?

litemup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fixed my idle hang problem. Cleaned my IAT senor with some brake clean, and replaced the TPS with a new one. Total cost $30.00 and I did it my self in the driveway in 20 minutes.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I missing something? There is a serious lack of info in this thread.......................................................
I am curious about this:

"I'm hoping that like the piece on a Viper Engine Blowing up. The member will step forward and explain how he got it all together for the benefit of all those that may have a simular issue.!" :confused:

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Daniel wanted the guy that was having the problems and fixed it to come on here and explain the solution himself (as I did with my engine troubles)
obviously that never happened in this thread

RedSrt007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I should write my story lol...sorry Daniel, its been a while.

I will try to get on it and write the report for everyone who might be dealing with the long-processed problem ;)