Hardwiring Valentine to the mirror power?

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
Based on majority of the voices I purchases Valentine 1 today. I want to hard wire it to the mirror power supply. I've seen that it can be done (http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...here-did-you-place-your-radar-detector-2.html), but I was wondering if anyone has a write up and or pictures of what kind of connectors I should be using and to which mirror wires I need to hook up to the Valentine cable?

Thanks.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best setup for me is to mount the V1 slightly to the right and above of the rear view mirror and then run the remote cable to the remote display which I place against the windshield close to the tweeter. The cable is like a flat cable and can be tugged inside the headliner easily. The remote display comes w/ a hardwire harness which you simply connect tap into an ignition controlled wire and ground. My car is at DC for a roll bar install so I can't take pictures for you but if I get it back before your install, I'll take a few pictures for you. The remote display is good as it stay low on the dash and can only be seen by me and stays in my perpherial vision all the time with the main V1 unit remains dark the whole time. If you also buy the remote display, you'll have all the cables and wire taps you need.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like woosch says
It's a flat 7 pin connector (only 3 wires used) that you can pull off the back of the mirror. Pin 1 is closest to the driver. Wires are in positions 2,6,7. Pin 2 is constant +12vdc and where the yellow Visacord probe goes. Pin 7 is ground and where the black Visacord probe goes. then i use a small piece of electrical tape to secure the invisicord cable to the stock wires

v9.JPG

v8.JPG

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two Valentine Ones. Here is a picture of the install in my viper...it includes a billet mirror bracket, an 8" invisicord and, of course, a Valentine One radar detector. This thread, radar detector mirror mount, states that the yellow connector should go to pin 2 and the black to pin 7, but that didn't work in my 2001 RT/10. I did the opposite, the black connector to pin 2 and the yellow to pin 7. It gives the V1 power all the time, so I have to manually shut it off.

picture.php

OP
OP
S

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
I have two Valentine Ones. Here is a picture of the install in my viper...it includes a billet mirror bracket, an 8" invisicord and, of course, a Valentine One radar detector. This thread, radar detector mirror mount, states that the yellow connector should go to pin 2 and the black to pin 7, but that didn't work in my 2001 RT/10. I did the opposite, the black connector to pin 2 and the yellow to pin 7. It gives the V1 power all the time, so I have to manually shut it off.

picture.php

Thank you Ken :headbang:! Great pictures. Would be great to have it added to the "do it yourself" section of the forum or something like that so the future generation can thrive on your knowledge :)

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fabricated my own articulated arm mount that replaces the mirror attachment set screw. That allows you to adjust the rearview mirror without changing the angle of the detector. You don't need to spend big bucks on a cable -- use the two center wires on a standard phone cable (buy a short one and clip to desired length or make up your own). :)

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR Steve,

The V1 windshield mount comes with the Valentine One radar detector...you just remove the release bar and suction cups. You can also purchase it from their parts department...item #20306 for $10.

Last edited:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tere,

I'm not sure which mounting technique you are referring to, but I am able to adjust my rear view mirror without the V1 moving. You are correct about the cable, V1s use standard RJ-11 (modular) telephone connectors for their power cords.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you move the mirror to a lower position (change the angle of the mirror arm), the detector angle changes. With an independent mounting arm, you can raise and lower the mirror position without changing the detector position/angle.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fabricated my own articulated arm mount that replaces the mirror attachment set screw. That allows you to adjust the rearview mirror without changing the angle of the detector. You don't need to spend big bucks on a cable -- use the two center wires on a standard phone cable (buy a short one and clip to desired length or make up your own). :)

Got pictures?

OP
OP
S

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of your fabricated mount and what did you use for it? Can you utilize your mount to attach V1 on the top of the mirror?

OP
OP
S

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
ACR Steve,

The V1 windshield mount comes with the Valentine One radar detector...you just remove the release bar and suction cups. You can also purchase it from their parts department...item #20306 for $10.
Ken, do you have pictures? I have the windshiel mount, but I checked local Auto stores and could not find anything that would help me change V1 windshield mount into the rear view mount.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow this is so cool, I got the V1 for christmas. I simply hate the suction cups, in fact I called V1 and had them send me extra cups. The mount won't stay in position for more than two minutes without falling off in my Silverado. It seems as though this craft business is right in my town. This is a must have item.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of your fabricated mount and what did you use for it? Can you utilize your mount to attach V1 on the top of the mirror?
The set screw on the mirror attachment is typically below the height of mirror. It would require double articulation to get it above the mirror.

What I use is an articulated mirror, typically found in the tools section of a good computer/electronics supply store. Cut to desired length both sides of the articulation joint and then use your tap/die set to get it all threaded up. Mounting to the detector carrier bracket depends on the type of detector, so you might have to do a little engineering. With the ****** Passport, take the cups off, bend the bracket up to desired angle, shape (cut off the "ears"), drill a hole in the center, and attach with a nut and lock washer (use a nut and regular washer on the mounting arm side for stability). You can paint your backet any color you like -- I do mine in black.

So if you're a DIY person and enjoy doing a little fabrication, this little project makes for a pretty slick detector mount. If you don't want to do the articulation, you can come straight down from the set screw to the ****** Passport bracket bent to the desired angle (this is a little sturdier).

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

picture.php

Fantastic photos,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang