HAS ANYBODY CUT A HOLE IN THER HOOD?

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red98GTS:
Years ago, I remember there was a lot of fanfare about opening up this part of the hood by drilling out that hole underneath the grille, some owners hoping that this would allow hot, underhood air to escape and thus allowing their cars to run cooler on the temp. gauge. NOT SURPRISINGLY, there were different results from different people who did it and the claims ranged anywhere from, "It didn't do anything"......to "it made my car run 10F-20F cooler". Go figure once again. Somebody else said not to do it because of where the water will go directly underneath it when you wash the car, etc. Who knows. I don't. pete the ex glass guy with no extra hole in my head/I mean hood.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> IT DOESNT MAKE THE ENGINE COOLER IT JUST MAKES THE INSIDE OF THE CAR RUN ALOT COOLER. MAJOR DIFFERENCE. MAYBE THE NEWER ONES YALL HAVE DIDNT HAVE THE PROBLEM WITH THE HEAT COMING IN THE CAR AT YOUR FEET. AS FOR THE WATER COMING IN I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT. BUT YOU LOOK UNDER MY HOOD AND THE THINGS CLEANER THAN A VEGETERIANS ********!

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A friend did it to his 96 GTS, and later plugged it again. He complained about the visible heat wave distortion when sitting at a stop light. He said that it made no difference to engine temperature, and a small difference to cabin temperature.

It should be fairly easy to paint the edge of the hole with a black felt marker to make it look reasonably clean.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done 2 hoods now, cut out with a Dremel on the small size, then filed it out also with Dremel attachment. I can see a heat wave rising from it when stopped, any heat I can get out from under that hood has to be good, things get way too hot under there! I finished mine off with a flower ***!!! Found a black plastic one just the right size, so that if you turn the *** upside-down, and cut the top couple of inches off the ***, it will fit through the hole (from the inside to out). I super glued it in place, and painted the outside with a touch up stick. Looks quite 'factory' as it matches the air intake on the other side.

OP
OP
S

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nadine UK GTS:
I've done 2 hoods now, cut out with a Dremel on the small size, then filed it out also with Dremel attachment. I can see a heat wave rising from it when stopped, any heat I can get out from under that hood has to be good, things get way too hot under there! I finished mine off with a flower ***!!! Found a black plastic one just the right size, so that if you turn the *** upside-down, and cut the top couple of inches off the ***, it will fit through the hole (from the inside to out). I super glued it in place, and painted the outside with a touch up stick. Looks quite 'factory' as it matches the air intake on the other side.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>COOL SOUNDS PERFECT! APPRECIATE IT!

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
before you cut up the Viper check out the new Thermal Insulation Kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Viper shop will start to sell them soon...

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some U-channel rubber grommet material that fits a 1/4" thick piece of whatever you install it on. It's a U shape, 1/4" in the bottom of the U and 3/8" on either side.

If you want to try some, shoot me an email and I will send you some and you can see if it would look good. You could use some hot melt or crazy glue to keep it in place. We use it to finish off license plate covers and it's very nice - assuming the thickness of the hood material is 1/4" thick (or close to it)

OP
OP
S

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAS ANYBODY CUT A HOLE IN THERE HOOD UNDERNEATH THE SPEAKER GRILL ON THE DRIVERS SIDE? I DID IT TO MAKE IT COOLER IN THE CAR AND IT WORKED AWESOME! BUT NOW I NEED SOME ADVICE ON FINISHING IT OUT, MAKING IT LOOK BETTER. WHAT DID YALL DO?

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought about doing this but did not have a clue how to go about doing it.

How did you cut the hole through the hood and the liner? Did you take any pics?

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago, I remember there was a lot of fanfare about opening up this part of the hood by drilling out that hole underneath the grille, some owners hoping that this would allow hot, underhood air to escape and thus allowing their cars to run cooler on the temp. gauge. NOT SURPRISINGLY, there were different results from different people who did it and the claims ranged anywhere from, "It didn't do anything"......to "it made my car run 10F-20F cooler". Go figure once again. Somebody else said not to do it because of where the water will go directly underneath it when you wash the car, etc. Who knows. I don't. pete the ex glass guy with no extra hole in my head/I mean hood.

OP
OP
S

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I DID IT WITH A DREMEL. I KNOW THERE ARE SOME OTHER GUYS HERE THAT HAVE DONE IT BECAUSE THEY TOLD ME WHAT TO DO. BUT I NEVER ASKED THEM ABOUT FINISHING IT OUT. YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE THE SPEAKER GRILL OFF I JUST DID IT FROM UNDERNEATH THE HOOD. PRETTY EASY. I HAVE A 94RT AND THE HEAT AT MY FEET WAS JUST UNBEARABLE FOR ME AND THE PASSENGER. SOON AS I CUT THE HOLE IT WAS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spark-man.....hey, that's great! Maybe it works better on the RT/10's than the GTS's. Don't know.
And you guys who insist on taking off the speaker grille on the hood for this or for any other reason such as cleaning underneath them,don't forget: Watch those screws! Those babies can fall off the tip of the phillips screwdriver and go into the hood down in never-never land and it's tough to get them out!
PS&gt;&gt;&gt;I love those Clydesdales. They are great. pete the xgg

OP
OP
S

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
I have some U-channel rubber grommet material that fits a 1/4" thick piece of whatever you install it on. It's a U shape, 1/4" in the bottom of the U and 3/8" on either side.

If you want to try some, shoot me an email and I will send you some and you can see if it would look good. You could use some hot melt or crazy glue to keep it in place. We use it to finish off license plate covers and it's very nice - assuming the thickness of the hood material is 1/4" thick (or close to it)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
YOU DONT THINK IT WILL MELT?

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Makara, that was a great link!

As far as the hood heat is concerned and your medium rare left calf, as it was known amoung my Vette friends, how about install a high speed fan in the hood compartment which is controlled by a thermostat. I am sure there are after market stuff available to fix this problem.

Just an idea that I thought I would share with you. If I get an older one than this is something I would look into and fix.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SPARKY:
HAS ANYBODY CUT A HOLE IN THERE HOOD UNDERNEATH THE SPEAKER GRILL ON THE DRIVERS SIDE? I DID IT TO MAKE IT COOLER IN THE CAR AND IT WORKED AWESOME! BUT NOW I NEED SOME ADVICE ON FINISHING IT OUT, MAKING IT LOOK BETTER. WHAT DID YALL DO?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you by chance related to "CAPS" KOERNER?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about doing the hole cutting thing and someone told me it actually made the engine run hotter because it interfered with the normal flow of air past the engine. Who knows but I have a '94 RT and haven't noticed heat coming in by my feet.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SPARKY:

YOU DONT THINK IT WILL MELT?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno... I don't think the temperature at that point gets hot enough to melt rubber. The rubber I have takes a heat gun directly on it for 10 seconds before it gets soft - I think that is way hotter then your hood cutout.

Its your call - if you wanna try it, let me know.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know much about it, all i know is when i put the hiflo cats on, viola heat went byebye. but hey, if the latest thing is cutting a hole, ill get my drammel warmed up in a minute

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Young:

Does the size of the hole affect my RWHP? What kind of holes should I get? Do any of the tuners make a nice carbon-fiber hole set?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that the holes don't do as much on the creampuffs? Is this true? Does anyone have any data to back this up?

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:

I heard that the holes don't do as much on the creampuffs? Is this true? Does anyone have any data to back this up?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard the same thing. I also heard that some holes will trigger a check engine light, is this true? I also just got a note from the guys at Zaino, turns out they have a new product coming out to support the hole aftermarket: Z-00 Hole Polish. They swear it'll make it like your hole isn't even there.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Young:
I heard the same thing. I also heard that some holes will trigger a check engine light, is this true? I also just got a note from the guys at Zaino, turns out they have a new product coming out to support the hole aftermarket: Z-00 Hole Polish. They swear it'll make it like your hole isn't even there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that the Chevy guys are really into this mod too. The factory has responded and intends to release the C6 with factory holes in the hood and certain key locations about the body and fenders. This new model will be called the ZHole6.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I JUST cut a hole in my hood with a dremel. Cut about 7 or 8 1" dia. holes. I can honestly say , the car may not RUN COOLER, but it cools down quick when driving after heating up, and STAYS at a more consistent 12 o'clock position (and that is with a big intercooler in front of my radiator).. I would say it made about a 10 degree difference. Excellent mod...!

Gerald

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Motor City Mad Man:
I did put a **' on the hood once. Does that count? She was light enough not to crack the hood though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you use a dremel?

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Motor City Mad Man:
I did put a **' on the hood once. Does that count? She was light enough not to crack the hood though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How was the heat? Did you find it made the ride a lot hotter for you or did it reduce your temps a bit?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
laughing2[1].gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I did put a **' on the hood once. Does that count? She was light enough not to crack the hood though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can someone post a pic of this mod?

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:
Did you use a dremel?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, luckily I have my own personal dremel that I carry around in my pocket at all times. It came in handy this time too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte