Has anyone had this starting problem? 1996 GTS 5k miles

garlicgreg

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 1996 GTS caused me grief last night. Stopped at gas station to fill it up. Went to get back in car and the electric door latch did not work. At first I thought battery, but I had replaced it two months ago. Luckily window was down so popped door with emergency release. When door opened overhead lights came on. Okay battery fine. Started it up and ran for about 2 secs and died. Acted just like alarm was set and ignition cutoff kicked in. Problem was no honking horn or led light on dash blinking. Hit unlock on remote and no change. I'm positive that I did not set alarm while putting gas in. When tow truck arrived he let me use his tools to disconnect power lead from battery to main fuse block where jump start post is. After 10 secs of no power and reconnect, door locks work and cars starts and runs fine. Only problem is alarm will not set now.

Thoughts?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried to re-sync the fob with the car? While standing next to it, hold both buttons down(lock&unlock) until the car chips or blinks. Should be good to go after that. If not, call Chuck Tator at 914-763-3136 tomorrow.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a TSB on the 1996 alarm that entailed moving the hood switch and I think updating the EEM firmware. A search or a read of the TSB might point you the the cure if it hasn't already been done on yours. Check the hood alarm plunger switch location. If it's near the coolant cap it hasn't been done. The re-positioned switch is down by the leading edge of the hood and the empty bracket the only thing remaining near the pressurized coolant bottle.

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you. I have not had this problem (yet) and I don't know if that TSB was done on my '96, I will have to check when I get home.