You must be registered for see images

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
This definitely is the "Golden Age" of the Corvette.

You might also say its the "Golden Age" of sports cars in general. So many great cars out now.....

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly the more I think about the more it burns me up. And it's the fact that DC did NOTHING! to the new coupe except add more weight and keeping the same motor you can get in the srt truck. What were they thinking? I hate to say it but at least for 06, it's going to be the year the Viper doesnt stay on top. hopefully 07 will fair much better

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see how the Viper is so much slower than the Vette? Those numbers up there look pretty close. The breaking advantage over the Z06 is huge.

I thought this Vette was going to humiliate the Viper. Did I miss something?

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see how the Viper is so much slower than the Vette? Those numbers up there look pretty close. The breaking advantage over the Z06 is huge.

I thought this Vette was going to humiliate the Viper. Did I miss something?

Not till I see "real world" numbers from "real" drivers on the streets, I am not going to jump to any conclusions.

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Z06 is doing exactly what the Viper was originally supposed to do. You get a world class performer that can pretty much hang with any exotic for many, many thousands of dollars less.
I don't hold much hope that the Viper will leap ahead anytimke soon with the current folks running the show. But you can get really cool stripes and limited color runs.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Golden age of supercars for sure!

But looking at the graphs......

The Viper has a distinct advantage on any given roadcourse!

Look at the "braking" and "roadhandling"! Isn't that where it counts?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when your able to go longer at speed, prior to braking before a turn, and then of course, being able to go faster through the turns because of the handling advantage..... spells WINNER!

Can't wait to see these two cars side by side (ahem...or side by almost side) at one of our Pocono events!!!!

No flames here.... remember this is THE Viper board!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This stuff is all over the place. Road & Track, if I recall, in a moment of weakness admitted that the Z is slower than the SRT. I believe the new "Automobile" shows numbers certainly no better than the SRT. MT has numbers that make no sense other than for effect . Hopefully, someone will get a skilled driver, a Jeff Gordon, or a Jeremy Mayfield (may not be fair he has Vipers) or someone similar, put them in both cars, the same day at the same track under the same conditions and we will see.
Every new hot rod is the "second coming" according the car media then after a period of time , familiarty breeds contempt and they move on to something else. In truth (and I just came out of a C6), no Vette has the fit, finish, pananche, and I doubt speed of a Viper. And as I have said before, as much as I would like to have a Z06 ( I took myself off the waiting list and got the SRT), the rubber will meet the road when you take that puppy into the typical bowtie dealer for service and the 18 yr old kid starts pulling out the shop manual--good luck. I had to show my Chevy tech how to start the C6 and did not have much better luck with my C5. I have had 3 Vipers and the same Viper tech for all three who can work miracles blind-folded.
In terms of appeal, forget about it. I had one of the first C6s around and never hardly got a second look. Most saw it as just another Vette and the die hard Vette guys were so conflicted about the new styling they would downright ignor you. Similarly , the average person won't disguinguish a regular Vette from a Z. TMB

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they keep talking about their wins at Lemans,but correct me if I am wrong but until the Vipers stop running they never had a win at Leman.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*** are some of you guys smoking? The Vette finally caught the Viper in 1/4 times. Congrats, jeeze it only took them long enough.

Meanwhile the Viper smokes the Vette in g's and braking. Looks like SCCA T1 is gonna extend Viper restrictor rules for another year.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see very little to indicate that the vette will beat the viper on any road coarse. The Viper has a huge advantage in braking and corning, at the same, both cars are neck and neck in power and performance.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*** are some of you guys smoking? The Vette finally caught the Viper in 1/4 times. Congrats, jeeze it only took them long enough.

Meanwhile the Viper smokes the Vette in g's and braking. Looks like SCCA T1 is gonna extend Viper restrictor rules for another year.

You guys are in denial. These numbers pretty much show a dead heat (10' in breaking and .2g is prbably in the margin of error). Viper was caught, and is doing nothing to move ahead (or so it appears) by a car that is $20k+ cheaper.

When in the past was it even a question who the king of the road was? We need DC to bring back those days.

:usa: :usa: :2tu: :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys are in denial. These numbers pretty much show a dead heat (10' in breaking and .2g is prbably in the margin of error). Viper was caught, and is doing nothing to move ahead (or so it appears) by a car that is $20k+ cheaper.

Please don't play the $$$ card. Save that for the mullets and ricer boards.

As for the margin of error, well lets just see what SCCA T1 does with the Viper restrictions.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Margin of error yeah right... That would equate to a second or two on a track depending on how long it is. Two cars tested the same day side by side in a G load test and braking, there is no margin or error. Doesnt take much to step on a brake pedal or travel around a circle really fast. The only margin of error is exceleration since launching the cars could be tricky and could make the difference if one got a better launch.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Margin of error yeah right... That would equate to a second or two on a track depending on how long it is. Two cars tested the same day side by side in a G load test and braking, there is no margin or error. Doesnt take much to step on a brake pedal or travel around a circle really fast. The only margin of error is exceleration since launching the cars could be tricky and could make the difference if one got a better launch.

First of all these were not done side by side on the same day. Second, why is stepping on the brake pedal, by a human being (different ones likely in this case) driving by a cone have no margin of error?

Since when is the no margin of error in ANY test. You should stay in school my friend.

:2tu: :2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay in school... You are making silly assumptions.

I now realize they were done on different days however I will guarentee you that the vette will not match the skidpad or braking power of the Viper no matter the tester, the day, or the magazine.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay in school... You are making silly assumptions.

I now realize they were done on different days however I will guarentee you that the vette will not match the skidpad or braking power of the Viper no matter the tester, the day, or the magazine.

They pulled 1.18g in the C6 Z06 in another mag, I have yet to see ANY production Viper pull that to my knowledge. If I'm wrong I'll CERTAINLY admit it.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a number 2 spot and a number 1 spot at 2 different dealers. I am am having a hard time talking myself into the new Z-06 because it looks too much like the standard coupe. I know they did it for the aerodynamics, but a photoshop of the yellow car with the C5 Z-06 fixed roofline IMO looks unbelievable. The new Z-06 will be viewed as "just another Vette". A snake ALWAYS turns heads!
So for now I am looking to get back into another Gen2.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the 80's as a kid I dreamed of a ZR1 Corvette with the 400 hp and 6 speed. When I saw the Viper prototype pictures it was never a contest between Corvettes and Vipers in my mind from that point on. Used Corvettes (except for the classics) are performance bargains because of their high production. Even a 10yr old Viper still looks wilder than the new Vettes and a V10 will always be more exciting even if the hp is a little less.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For goodness sakes guys that ZO6 looks like one of our smiley faces. The car looks like a real ***** car from the front. compare that to the Viper that looks like it wants to devour the road. No Comparison !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And by the way I'm not anti-vette, I own one (1996)and love it. The new ZO6 does nothing for me I don't care how fast thay say it MIGHT be. People look at your CAR not your ENGINE!!!!!!!!