Have a headlight question.

mhp1280

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All,

I am needing a little bit of help. I have already replaced one right side low beam headlight bulb on my 2002 gts since I bought the vehicle 3 months ago and after being gone for 2 1/2 months I take if for a short drive tonight and the bulb goes out again. I am at a complete loss as to what the issue may or may not be. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you recall if you held the bulb by the glass? the oil on your hands will cause it to burn out very fast, you can not touch the glass at all. its also possible you got a bad bulb.

OP
OP
M

mhp1280

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made sure that I did not touch the glass when I replaced it because the guy at O'Reillys told me that same thing. Thank you for the suggestion though keep them coming.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its either a bad bulb or wiring, i would pull the bulb out and check that you are getting 12-14 volts depending if the engine is on or off from from the wires with a multimeter,you can also pull the other side bulb out and do a swap to see if the bulb turn on or not, if it does not turn on you have a bad bulb, you can also to a visual check of the bulb as well, if it has a brownish white cloud spot in the bulb it burnt out, the only way out of this is troubleshooting :crazy2:

OP
OP
M

mhp1280

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will give that a try. What is kind of funny though is that the old bulb that I replaced 3 month ago worked just fine when I had it tested at O'Reillys but would not work at all in the car but the new bulb that I bought worked just fine. I will see what kind of voltage I am getting out of it tomorrow when I get a chance.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like when you replaced the 1st bulb, you "jiggled" the connection or wire to reconnect, and driving "jiggled" it to disconnect

i'd check the connections and wire continuity if the voltage is not too high

(obviously not an electrical major)