HAVE TO SELL....BOUGHT

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought Rob Fosters 2001 Race car. Very happy with it so the 1996 GTS has to go. For anyone looking for a garage queen, this is not the car to consider, but for autocross or starting out on track and have a car that is awsome on the street, this car is worth a look. Its in the classifieds

OP
OP
G

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sold for an amount satisfactory to both parties. He was asking $80K at the time I got involved.
G

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"It sold for an amount satisfactory to both parties"

No kidding?
What is it about prices that seem to bother people so much?
Why keep it a secret?
I know, it's none of our business, right?
Well, why bother telling us that you bought it? Who's business is that?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"It sold for an amount satisfactory to both parties"

No kidding?
What is it about prices that seem to bother people so much?
Why keep it a secret?
I know, it's none of our business, right?
Well, why bother telling us that you bought it? Who's business is that?

how much money do you make a year? How much $$ is in your savings account? How much is in your investment portfolio? Whay kind of bug do you have up your @ss?

******** you are such a [******] sometimes. It's one thing to say you bought the car it's another to think you deserve to know what he paid for it. Some people just want to keep that $hit private for crying out loud.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hog....I know why you asked that question. Your in the market for a dedicated track car. I understand your frustration. i am sure that foster's car did not sell for much less than he was asking. Just go to some of those Country Club Events I mean Viper Days (which i am sure that you will) and you will hear all about the deal. If you already know GAvin & have competed against him just simply call him or email him to get some guidance on the cars that are on the Market. In the last month 2 Dedicated Track cars have sold. Comp Coupe owners need to sell their old rides.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When someone you know buys or sells a car don't you always wonder, how much? I do.

The selling price is a bit of Viper related information. If someone were willing to tell the price, that would be a useful bit of Viper info.

How much I make or how much I have has nothing to do with Vipers.

Do you see the difference?

The reason I said what I said was that I have noticed that some of the guys on the board seem to think that the selling price of their used cars should be a secret. I don't understand why it's a bad thing to come out and ask.

I don't understand the secrecy around the price of a used car. I do know that I'm a {*****} sometimes. That's just me.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many times have you seen some guy post pictures of his new valve covers or interior or whatever and not tell how much it cost?

Everyone that sees it want's to know. Why not tell them?

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's cool Gavin, Fosters car was, and I'm sure still is a vary competitive car. It will probably be like starting over getting used to driving a Fully prepped race car. I hope to see you at the track soon.
Have you brought it home yet?
Now you need another new trailer. (Been there)
South Valley Trailers, Haulmark.
Dan

OP
OP
G

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of these comments astound me.
Rob Foster is an absolute gentleman and frankly it is only his place to tell what the car sold for, if he chooses.

I was really letting the community know that my car was up for sale - and why.

For those interested, Rob had Archer Racing build the car and they built a very quick car. It is my understanding that it is the only 2001 purpose built race car built at this point in time. (I guess another way of saying that, the car is not street drivable)
Rob was extremley helpful through the process of my purchase and helped me to get the car delivered in time for an open track event at Button Willow.

The car is everything Rob said it was - quite a new learning curve for someone who has never driven on Hoosiers before. I ran my GTS only on street tires.

Having gone over this car in great detail, if anyone wants to know what sort of job Archer does, just come look at this car. If anyone wants pictures, I'm happy to help out - I already have a fellow club member who wants to get a look at the cage design on the car - smart move on his part.

I guess some of the authors of comments on this thread just don't understand the Open Track Viper Community. We are just a bunch of guys that really enjoy each others company and will go to great lengths to help each other out.
We talk Vipers non stop - we help new comers with parts resources, what the best parts are to put on a car and when in the learning curve to do it etc etc etc.

I started out with a near stock GTS four years ago and have learned volumes about Vipers
- what to do and what not to do to these cars, thanks to being around a great bunch of guys and I might add a lot of very helpful folks on this website.
I wasn't born with the talent of a Mumford or a Dearing but when guys like this are willing to help a guy like me go quicker, I am humbled.

At the track it doesn't matter how much money you make - what matters is how quick you are going, and knowing that the guys that are quicker than you want you to get quicker and are willing to help.

My interest is with people like that.
Where I come from we have a saying - "Like water off a ducks back" well thats what I do with the negative comments. ViperDan, will see you at ViperDays, Buttonwillow, February - looking forward to buying you a beer mate.

Hogdealer - It was not my intention to offend - My reply to you was ment to give you an idea of the price. Great to hear you may be interested in a dedicated track car - LOOK I have been through four years of THAT learning curve - I could write a book mate - you need any help I'm a phone call away - email me and I will send you my numbers and we will have a chat and save you a bunch of money.

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin,
This is the official Joe B "Congratulations" reply. I have to say that is a hell of a car you got there. It was fun tracking with ya at Buttonwillow. I'm sure will be at Viperdays together.

If you wanted to publish the price you would have put it in the original post. I guess "some" people don't get it. How about this "Its NONE OF YOUR FREAKIN' BUSINESS"

If you say anything about price for a car, it's either "Oh you paid too much or I could have got you a deal on this car" Yeah I heard it before. I know those guys, they are on a cloud, I think its the fumes from all the Zaino they use on Friday nights locked in the garage waxing their cars. The cars gotta look good sitting there collecting dust.

I guess we may be a dying breed, We actually use our cars---> wow! What a concept, "Take your Viper out of the Garage". :2tu:
Well anyway Congrats again and look forward to seeing you on the tracks.

Oh yeah, stay away from the Zaino crowd.

Joe ( Anti-Zaino ) B

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look guys,
You are missing the point.

Of course you don't have to tell anyone at what price you sold/bought your car.

But if you did tell the price, that information might be valuable to someone.
In other words, you might help someone else avoid paying too much or asking too little.

You might help someone.
Get it.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Joe B,

It's hard for me to understand your contempt for Viper's owner like me that like to keep their beloved Viper waxed and warm in a cozy garage.

I'm not ashamed to admit that my 00GTS is, not only a garage queen, but also a track ****** with perfectly white calipers lettering..

I believe that peoples like you, Gavin, Dearing,etc,are very cruel toward our beast, after all,how can a proud Viper'owner subject his/her car to the degrading "role" of a track car where dust,dirt,rubber,etc,will,with no doubt,damage the paint and turn those beautifull white lettered calipers yellow?

Luc.00GTS

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Joe B,

It's hard for me to understand your contempt for Viper's owner like me that like to keep their beloved Viper waxed and warm in a cozy garage.

I'm not ashamed to admit that my 00GTS is, not only a garage queen, but also a track ****** with perfectly white calipers lettering..

I believe that peoples like you, Gavin, Dearing,etc,are very cruel toward our beast, after all,how can a proud Viper'owner subject his/her car to the degrading "role" of a track car where dust,dirt,rubber,etc,will,with no doubt,damage the paint and turn those beautifull white lettered calipers yellow?

Luc.00GTS

Luc, You should be ashamed of yourself. That poor car sitting in the garage. I'm sure your having alingement problems with that hood due to all that extra weight of the Zaino. Your probably one of those guys that have an "i v " hooked up to the car so its always charging. Get rid of all the chrome do-dads on the dash and fancy mats and a useless radar detector(you gotta drive the car for it to work)and "Please" strip off about 600 lbs of Zaino and you'll be amazed at how fast the car really is. Then your calipers will be non-white, and the tires will be round again

Joe 117,

By Gavin posting his price. I don't think its a car with any comparison to any other car. that car has a list of "race options thats a mile long", so there is no way to compare it with any other one. Its a rarety. ABS in a "Viper" race car. So there is no way of "helping" anyone with buying another race, since its, at this point one of a kind. Yes we should all stick together on pricing.

Joe (Clutchinator) B

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
G - I'm with Joe. I don't see the harm in asking what the price was. Geez, now a days you can find out how much people paid for a home just by going to the town, so what is the big deal about a car?

I don't see the big deal in asking, and I don't see the big deal in rejecting to tell if that be your choice, BUT, I do see a very big deal in getting so ********** about it. Lighten up.

Joe...I do see your point. Knowing this info, could help others know what the market is, but obviously this is not the guy to give you that help.

Merry Christmas,

AC

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clutchinator,
I have to disagree. There was a guy on the board a month ago talking about building a track car. People pointed out one that was on ebay, with a price of course, that he could have for much less than he could hope to build one.

In revealing the price of a regular car a mod or a race car, we are adding to the knowledge base available on the board.
Keeping the price a secret is, of course, an option for the persons involved in the transaction. I do not believe that doing so serves the Viper community.

Racers at the track will, more often than not, go out of their way to help a competitor.
People on this board who make their living from Viper repair will often give free advice and information to a Viper owner experiencing a problem.

This whole thing about, "look what I bought, I wont tell you what I paid", seems very small to me.

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alas, I too was once a track ******. However after witnessing the carnage of Joe wrenching his new knob clean off I am meekly applying the requisite amounts of Zaino to my hood and looking forward to the days when dignity is returned to racing.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't $80K mentioned in the reply? Is a few thousand dollars going to help someone make that much better of a decision when looking for a race car? I don't think so. Use your head people. Gavin said the price was satisfactory for both parties so you know it wasn't exactly $80K but probably close. Remember Joe 117, you're the self-proclaimed expert on plummeting Gen 1 prices remember? So why are you making such an issue about this? Gavin hasn't even told any of his racer buddies what he paid for the car and we wouldn't expect him to either. It's none of our business, plain and simple. Talk about a high-jacked thread! Now if you want to discuss his 96 GTS that's for sale, I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you the price you'll pay :)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Joe and Craig.

Hey, my 98 RT/10 is for sale and I won't let it go for a penny less than the asking price, $1 for every mile on the odometer.

Currently over 82K miles and rising fast. Better buy it now while it's still "cheap."

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alas, I too was once a track ******. However after witnessing the carnage of Joe wrenching his new knob clean off I am meekly applying the requisite amounts of Zaino to my hood and looking forward to the days when dignity is returned to racing.

Tom,
Now thats classic! When you do get back to our dignified racing antics. I should have an advantage. You'll have all that extra weight of that Zaino. :smirk: After that polishing check out the new chrome roll cages coming out for the CC. Chrome and Zaino definately go toghether.

Chuck,
I like your pricing schedule

Joe (New Knob) B :2tu:

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,
Can I drive your comp coupe, can I, can I? I promise I'll go slow, lol
I at least want a ride.
Are you going to Sears on the 27th?

Indeed I will be there, What me miss a track day, you gotta be kidding? The only problem is you missing a session, I'm sure we can work something out with Dave.

Luc,
The Viper owner who never takes his car to the track--> " Zaino Forever"

Joe ( Local Track Wh*re) B

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Mr Clutchminator,

You forget to mention that I do take some cars to the track, but only my cheap,low-life,wax-free Mustangs, not my Zaino-covered,#'s-matching,fart-free Viper.

As for you being a track wh%re, it seems to be a Californian
disease with enough afflicted members to form our own Mustang Ranch with SocalRebell as the manager.

Luc.
00GTS

Luc.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luc,
I was just looking at pictures of an old event and recognized your Mustang convertible. I want to know more about the motor build in that car. Something to talk about at the track between sessions.

(Indeed I will be there, What me miss a track day, you gotta be kidding? The only problem is you missing a session, I'm sure we can work something out with Dave.)
Joe,
I'll talk to Dave so you don't have to miss a session. Hint-Hint.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin, Congrats! That's a great car.

I inquired about it the same time I was looking at, and test raced, Woodhouses number 13 race GTS. Good luck selling the 96, and whatever you do, don't end up track poor!

I haven't bit the bullet on a track car yet. I'm holding out for the comp coupe owners to up grade to newer comp coupes!

Enjoy!

OP
OP
G

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JOE117 -you accuse me of being small. Well thank you. You just demonstrated to me that you have no clue, you have not read much of my posts on this thread and you committed to being right to the point that you insult me. Like I said- Water off a ducks back.

Please tell me how stating a price I paid for a highly modified race car is going to establish the market for a fellow Viper Buyer.
Bottom line is, what this car sold for tells you nothing about what the market is - I looked at a lot of cars and the selling price of those cars was of the least importance to me.
I considered other factors such as
Who built the car
When was the car built
Race history - wins etc - is the car quick
Accident history - (there are cars out there that have been cut in half - new front clips - built then re-built agin)
total dollars spent and more specifically how the money was spend and on what items.
Some cars have a lot of money thrown at them and some of it in the wrong places.
This is just the start of what I looked at.
I also had to educate myself by talking to a lot of track guys about 'all the right stuff' a car should have.

So price? - who cars - if that is all a prospective buyer is looking at then they are probably going to end up buying a pile of junk.

If there is anyone out there that wants an informed opinion on the purchase of any of the modified/track cars in the market - ask me. I have my opinions about those cars and would be happy to help out.

So how about being "big" and apologizing.

Gavin