Have you gotten creative with your K&N intake?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I've had no luck finding a used Hennessey intake for my car, I'm looking to see what you've done to make the K&N intake look better....paint, colormatching, overlays etc.

Any pics would be appreciated to get my creative side going:eater:

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your looking for the chrome look, check out Spectra Chrome. It's a spray on finish for all types of material and looks like chrome metal. It is what they used for the 25th anniversary Grave Digger monster truck. JonB used to sell some carbon fiber ones but I think he told me the company no longer makes then.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'd consider the polished stainless overlay letters for both the airbox and valve covers if I didn't feel they are ridiculously overpriced.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a coinidence you posted this. i just finished my kn intake and dress up today..will post a vid ect. tomorrow

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet. I'm not planning on running the stock upper air cleaner lid, otherwise I'd just leave it stock looking.

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the problem is that i care more about performance and fun than looks.. but i will be interested to see what people are doing to dress up their K&N filter...

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing myself. Seems like it would get more air? But is it hotter bc of the top shield and does the scoop effect force air through it better. I took mine off for a while and then put it back on bc i figure the engineers tested this out and should know more than me on this one. BUT, i still wonder

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the problem is that i care more about performance and fun than looks.. but i will be interested to see what people are doing to dress up their K&N filter...

In general yes, but it's a basically stock Viper...they're not too fast anyways:eater:

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im working on the intake mod myself, so far I got one of the vipair carbon fiber cover ( love it ) and for the K&N Thinking of doing it on CF, or using the 3m di-noc on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres what I did...Did it for two reason.

1-the top part of the intake is 2-3 pounds. Loseing vehicle weight is always part of my mission.

2-You get a good view of the decently desighned KN intake system

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8-JKvmbIMo[/media]

Not the best job but I like it better than stock

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
To each his own - but it would seem counter intuitive to take off the top of the air box and allow the very hot, under-hood air to be sucked in. If you look at the design of the hood and the sealed air box - it routes air from in front of the radiator into the air box :dunno:.

I'm amazed at how much heat you can see escaping thru the vents on my 08 style hood. I would also think that the carbon fiber cover on the intake posted by cubican would also trap heat under the intake - which again seems to be exactly what you would NOT want to do???

Might be a good question to post in the SRT Engineering Q/A Area.

Last edited:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I've had no luck finding a used Hennessey intake for my car, I'm looking to see what you've done to make the K&N intake look better....paint, colormatching, overlays etc.

Any pics would be appreciated to get my creative side going:eater:

I've recently seen a Gen II with a Leopard skin print on the entire manifold ....... just a thought, but I don't think I saved the pics

I'm going with a polished split intake from RSI, bolted to a X-metal TB

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own - but it would seem counter intuitive to take off the top of the air box and allow the very hot, under-hood air to be sucked in. If you look at the design of the hood and the sealed air box - it routes air from in front of the radiator into the air box :dunno:.

I'm amazed at how much heat you can see escaping thru the vents on my 08 style hood. I would also think that the carbon fiber cover on the intake posted by cubican would also trap heat under the intake - which again seems to be exactly what you would NOT want to do???

Might be a good question to post in the SRT Engineering Q/A Area.

Good points ,but what Im finding out is the carbon fiber cover is working more like a heat shield for the intake. As for the open air box the filters are way in front of the motor, and going at speed it really makes no difference specially with the 08 hood. In reality it just looks so much better under the hood.

Omega

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The air box must be closed for optimal performance. The engine air cooled come to bumper, not hood.