header and exhaust upgrade

Reaction score
Meaner.....YES
Noise......I would suggest the adjustable rear mufflers
to suite your taste if noise is a concern.
HP.........As good or better than the industry standard

A very high quality system that fits well. Expensive, but worth the price. I have 24 thousand miles on my system with no complaints.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Belanger headers, 3" catbacks and make sure you get hi-flow cats. I got them on my 2000 and the car sounds like a freakin' Indy car at WOT. Also good for 31 RWHP & 40 RWTQ.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Did you dyno your car with the smooth tubes and high flow filters before and after the Belanger system? I see that you attribute 31 RWHP out of 431 RWHP to the Belanger system.

Although the RWHP for my car (97 GTS) is very close to yours (~437) only 13 of mine came as a result of the Belanger headers and exhaust. Not quite the 50 HP I had been told to expect.

The dyno numbers were confirmed when the car only ran 1 additional MPH in the quarter.

I'm still not sure were the almost 40 missing HP went. I was told by the folks at Belangers' that if I didn't see 50+ improvement, the system was not installed properly. However, 50+ HP above where I was before the Belanger would result in ~475 RWHP. That seems too high to have been a realistic goal.

I suspect that head work and a new cam will make me forget about the Belanger disappointment...

John

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal experience with my '01 RT:

Stock w/tubes & filters: 415 RWHP, 448 RWTQ
Add belanger headers & exhausts, stock cats: 431 RWHP, 475 RWTQ
Add high-flow 3" cats: 438 RWHP, 485 RWTQ.

The 23 RWHP top-end power gain was unimpressive, but the 37 ft/lbs midrange torque I picked up was valuable for street driving. As John suggests, the power really picked up when I swapped heads, rockers & lifters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi