Headers and cats WITHOUT Mopar PCM question?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wanting to install Belanger headers and hi flo cats to my 09 ACR but WITHOUT an aftermarket PCM. Have any owners done this set up and the big question I have is do you have any check engine light issues with keeping the stock PCM? Thanks.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first added headers I didn't have the mopar ECU. Going that route the CEL is when, not if.

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that you can set up an LLC in MT and register your car, boat, or RV there. No tax, no inspection. www.mtvehicles.com

I tried that and it did not work for me in Texas. I bought a hugh RV and had the LLC thing done by a "law firm" in MT.
A Texas DPS pulled me over for no reason at all. He asked for my license, noted I had a Texas license, and gave me a ticket for no safety sticked.
The Judge bragged that "Texas ain't Montana, and if you have a Texas Driver's license, a Texas address, and drive on Texas highways, you better have a Texas inspection sticker".
To be honest, I admit that on the paperwork from the "law firm" it had a disclosure that "some states do not recognize MT LLC's and may require additional paperwork".
I throw "------" around "law firm" because it turned out to be a guy working out of his house. Nice web site though.
BillyC

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what I was afraid of and changing out the ECU each year to pass Texas inspection is a real hassle IMO.

I'm dreading my first CA smog test, probably will come this November, then it's every other year after that. As Mark J said it won't pass with a CEL. Do a search on the board, swap out the ecu, get the code cleared than have the original ecu re-learn. Seems like you'll need to drive about 50 miles? (the thread will tell you how much).

I went 200-250 miles before the CEL. Dan Cragin and others told me if you drive it moderate to hard the it won't throw a code, easy cruising will. I remember when it came on, 60-70 steady mph on a back country road heading to the track.

Your in a good area with lot's of viper shops, I'm sure one of them can help you with a swap and passing emiisions

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the ACR-X headers with high flow cats installed on my 09 without the Mopar PCM. Ran without a CEL for around 2100 miles. Then it would pop up, especially at times when I was stuck in traffic, etc. If I kept the cars rpms up and driving at normal speeds, not too much of an issue.

I firmly believe the issue is with the aftermarket cats, they are a disposable item. You will get "X" amount of time on them, then they start to degrade. Sorry, they just aren't able to last like the stock (heavy and 3 times the size) system does. Just budget for new cats if you want to run them and run clean. I now have two exhaust systems, one with the cat and one without a cat. I also now run the Mopar PCM....no more CEL's regardless of which system I run.

FYI, after I installed the headers and hi flow cats, I had the car smogged just to see what the numbers were. I was within 1-3% (IIRC) of the cars stock numbers when it was new (had to have it smogged when brand new since I bought it out of state). In otherwords, it would have passed California's smog test with flying colors. I posted the results on the forum, I think about 3 years ago. Visually it is not smog legal with headers and a single cat, but how many smog techs know exactly what kind of exhaust manifolds a Viper uses? :dunno:

George

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good reply TrackAire, and I have since learned about the O2 simulators for about 194.00 that fools the computer about the readings for applications without an aftermarket ECU and no check engine light??

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had my 2006, Belanger full system and engine work, pass here in Utah with O2 sims. The car does have a flash from DC. Had one "not ready" (O2 heater) but Utah will pass
with one. There was a drive cycle timer, miles I believe, that had to be complete which was programed in according to my Viper guy.

Herc

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good reply TrackAire, and I have since learned about the O2 simulators for about 194.00 that fools the computer about the readings for applications without an aftermarket ECU and no check engine light??

I don't think that will work on the Gen 4, earlier Gens yes. One of the Viper tuners will probably confirm.
I went with the Mopar PCM because I have lower gears and a full race ACR-X exhaust (no cats) and when coming to a slow stop in gear, the car sounded like small shots were going off from a gun because of the decel popping. In city areas with foot traffic, this was causing a little too much unwanted attention. The skip shift and slighter higher rev limit were a bonus.

Cheers,
George

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have had very good luck at M&M without a CEL light on the gen 4. Better price and header can't go wrong.

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I have 2010 acr with full bellanger headers and high flo cats and have 2 not readys. O2 and catalytic damn car will not pass NY emissions. Still looking for a solution? No check engine light on. Will the O2 simulators work for me.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm due for an inspection in NJ. My car has high flow cats installed, 3.73 gearing, and K&N air filters. Do you guys think it will pass in this condition? I only have 2,400 miles on the car. Hope I won't have a problem.....

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$5 and you're set.

You must be registered for see images attach

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Belanger headers and H/F cats on my 08 with and without the Mopar PCM for nearly 4 years.
No issues or Cell lights with the Mopar PCM, no more skip shift, smooth strong power but no more exhaust popping on decel.
So, I put back the OE PCM and the car ran fine also, a little rougher sounding and some nice popping on decel, wich is the way I liked it better.
If the cats dont get hot enough like idling or low rev cruising for long stretchs on the highway, than the Cell light would come on.
I had a little Dashawk gauge plug in device with wich I could easily read and erase any trouble code, with this you would be fine.
Where I live we do not have to pass Inspections yet, so I have no knowledge about this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960