Heads / Cam Packages

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok Guys, after seeing the latest heads/cam cars being built I am now in the need
for more power in my 06 coupe..

This is INMO the most attractive way to build power for my goals.

I need feedback from the one's out there that have done it.

Built motor or not...... If you have had heads and cams done to your ride give me your thoughts regarding please..

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ripper, I Haven't done this to my car, but I am a huge H/C fan over supercharging.

Besides the typical bolt ons, exhaust, intake, tune, it is literally 2 mods. The cylinder heads (prefer Greg Goods) and the cam. Some builders like to convert to a gen iv head instead, which takes a bit more tweaking.

A properly done HC gen III will put down 600-625rwhp.

No boost, no hoses, no clamps, no fuel problems, no cooling worries, set it and forget it. On top off that, you get a wicked sounding car.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed my supercharged C6 prior to this, but wanted to go back to a cammed car again. I gotta say I couldn't be more pleased with my decision. I've been driving the heck outta the car since getting it back and here's a few random thoughts:

1) As expected, it starts, idles, accelerates, and decelerates without issue. Aside from the hugely improved power and lumpy sounding cam... it behaves like a stock Viper.
2) Power is up everywhere and torque is abundant. First hard stab at the throttle, I yelled several expletives, smiled and started laughing out loud. Definitely what I was looking for and then some. Honestly, on runflats I'm not sure where a full throttle pull would hook up. A good stab at highway speeds can yield significant wheelspin. Drag radials are next on the mod list.
3) If you stopped traffic in your Viper before, prepare to bring the whole zip code to a halt. Neighbors poke their heads out like prairie dogs, when I start the car. Crowds stop dead in their tracks when pulling into cruise-ins. Sitting in traffic, the looks you generate translate to "What the hell is in that thing!??".

So in summary, this is not a sleeper and it's not for the timid... however if you enjoy the sound and power of a healthy N/A motor, then this is for you.

Doug

Last edited:

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI...I have a Gen 3 motor that will be up for sale...stock bottom end with JM Stage 3 heads and a 710 cam with aftermarket roller rockers ( don't remember which brand right now). It pushed my 3,350 lb car to a 2:16.5 on DOT Hoosiers at Road America last fall. Compete motor sans exhaust and a proper oil pan.

OP
OP
R

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback guys ! :2tu:

Ripper, read this thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/654067-Greg-Good-heads-amp-cam-build-gained-189-rwhp Greg Good is the man to talk to about heads/cam. He will not sell you on his work but is an excellent source of knowledge and will point you in the right direction based on your goals. Todd/Greg make an incredible team.

Saw this thread and it was one that has pushed me over the edge to make a decision to build the car N/A  instead of adding a Paxton

Appreciate the link and everything I have read / seen to date regarding Greg Good has been nothing but positive. Good to know !

I thoroughly enjoyed my supercharged C6 prior to this, but wanted to go back to a cammed car again. I gotta say I couldn't be more pleased with my decision. I've been driving the heck outta the car since getting it back and here's a few random thoughts:

1) As expected, it starts, idles, accelerates, and decelerates without issue. Aside from the hugely improved power and lumpy sounding cam... it behaves like a stock Viper.
2) Power is up everywhere and torque is abundant. First hard stab at the throttle, I yelled several expletives, smiled and started laughing out loud. Definitely what I was looking for and then some. Honestly, on runflats I'm not sure where a full throttle pull would hook up. A good stab at highway speeds can yield significant wheelspin. Drag radials are next on the mod list.
3) If you stopped traffic in your Viper before, prepare to bring the whole zip code to a halt. Neighbors poke their heads out like prairie dogs, when I start the car. Crowds stop dead in their tracks when pulling into cruise-ins. Sitting in traffic, the looks you generate translate to "What the hell is in that thing!??".

So in summary, this is not a sleeper and it's not for the timid... however if you enjoy the sound and power of a healthy N/A motor, then this is for you.

Doug

Your car sounds wicked !!! Cannot imagine how good it must sound in person

Just the feedback I was looking for. A happy owner who is enjoying his car with no issues after the build.

Thanks for the feedback !

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Jerry glad you're going with a modded NA setup. Can't wait to see the results when done..

PM sent too..

Last edited:

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
id throw the mopar catalog at the car...... full race exhaust with no cats.